New player wondering how matchmaker works?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pococuranté

12-04-2010

Hi, as the title says, I'm a relatively new player to this game (about 140 games played).

I'm completely clueless as to how the normal game matchmaker works, and it's getting frustrating, because this is what I've seen happen:

I started out with quite a few losses in my first games, of course, and then kinda evened out, and started to slowly improve. At one point, I was at around 40 wins-40 losses, give or take 1 each. Over the last 60 games, though, it seems it's just all gone to hell. I feel like my teammates are just falling apart far before anything I can do to help them (I play Twitch for the most part and it's not like I can do much to stop enemy champions at lvl 2 or 3). Also, for some reason I feel like people are leaving/disconnecting from my matches at a higher rate than previously, although I haven't really kept track of enemy disconnects; I will say I generally feel like I have a good memory and there are maybe 4 or 5 games in that stretch where I've seen an enemy leave, compared to, say, 15 or so where I've played a 4v5 or worse.

So, now I'm sitting at 61-77 or something like that, and I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for the game. Whereas at one point I felt like I was improving, now my performance is all over the place as I play a character that is so dependent on having some support from a team and being able to take it from there. I should mention that I played Vladimir a lot earlier, when he was free, but I don't feel like that was any different...

Anyway, I was just wondering if someone can enlighten me as to how the matchmaking works, I'd love it. Do the majority of people solo queue (I do, for the most part)? Am I just having ridiculously bad luck over a stretch of 60 games? Is it more likely to be something I've changed in the last 60 games (I don't think this one's it, but maybe I'm just being stupid)? Did I get bumped up some invisible ladder in skill by the system, only to find out that I was going to get dominated (again, doesn't feel like this, because I generally feel like I hold my own in games)?

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated so I can perhaps like this game again, thanks in advance.

EDIT: The most recent example of this was my last three games, which frustrated me so much as to inspire this post. The first one, I didn't do anything spectacular in my lane, but didn't die, only to watch the opposite lane die a combined 6 or 7 times and end up with a fed Yi harassing the hell out of us. The next game, I felt I was doing very well in my lane, with 4 kills and no deaths, but then my partner just started turret diving, again the opposite lane died several times, and all of a sudden their team is pushing our turrets and well ahead in kills (after we started 6-0 or so). The last game, 1 person disconnects at the start, another 5 minutes later, and I just didn't have the heart to play a 3v5 after the previous two games. I just left, for the second time in 140 games, but it was just too much to take.

Tinara

12-04-2010

It's based on a hidden ELO that goes up when you win and down when you lose.

Paero

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avo345 View Post
Hi, as the title says, I'm a relatively new player to this game (about 140 games played).

I'm completely clueless as to how the normal game matchmaker works, and it's getting frustrating, because this is what I've seen happen:

I started out with quite a few losses in my first games, of course, and then kinda evened out, and started to slowly improve. At one point, I was at around 40 wins-40 losses, give or take 1 each. Over the last 60 games, though, it seems it's just all gone to hell. I feel like my teammates are just falling apart far before anything I can do to help them (I play Twitch for the most part and it's not like I can do much to stop enemy champions at lvl 2 or 3). Also, for some reason I feel like people are leaving/disconnecting from my matches at a higher rate than previously, although I haven't really kept track of enemy disconnects; I will say I generally feel like I have a good memory and there are maybe 4 or 5 games in that stretch where I've seen an enemy leave, compared to, say, 15 or so where I've played a 4v5 or worse.

So, now I'm sitting at 61-77 or something like that, and I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for the game. Whereas at one point I felt like I was improving, now my performance is all over the place as I play a character that is so dependent on having some support from a team and being able to take it from there. I should mention that I played Vladimir a lot earlier, when he was free, but I don't feel like that was any different...

Anyway, I was just wondering if someone can enlighten me as to how the matchmaking works, I'd love it. Do the majority of people solo queue (I do, for the most part)? Am I just having ridiculously bad luck over a stretch of 60 games? Is it more likely to be something I've changed in the last 60 games (I don't think this one's it, but maybe I'm just being stupid)? Did I get bumped up some invisible ladder in skill by the system, only to find out that I was going to get dominated (again, doesn't feel like this, because I generally feel like I hold my own in games)?

Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated so I can perhaps like this game again, thanks in advance.
Best advice is to not give up and find someone you play well with and add them, avoid solo q as much as possible (not an option for me)

Rhamiel

12-04-2010

Playing only one character puts you (and by the same token, your team) at an extreme disadvantage. For one thing, it doesn't help your comp any. If members of your team have already locked in Tristana and Shaco, you should not play Twitch--what your team needs then is support or a tank. Vlad is actually also pretty team-dependent (and is neither a support champ nor a tank), because his ult is very lackluster without good coordination, and that's one of his major strengths.

There's nothing you can do about leavers or disconnects, but I see there from what you've said that playing your favorite champ regardless of team comp seems to be causing at least some of your problems. My advice would be to learn to play a support (Sona and Taric are pretty easy for this; Janna, Morgana, and to a lesser extent Lux are also fine) or a tank (Malphite, Amumu, Rammus, Shen, and Galio are all good) in addition to carries or other dps champs. To be super well-rounded you could also pick up a strong jungler like Warwick.

Pococuranté

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhamiel View Post
Playing only one character puts you (and by the same token, your team) at an extreme disadvantage. For one thing, it doesn't help your comp any. If members of your team have already locked in Tristana and Shaco, you should not play Twitch--what your team needs then is support or a tank. Vlad is actually also pretty team-dependent (and is neither a support champ nor a tank), because his ult is very lackluster without good coordination, and that's one of his major strengths.

There's nothing you can do about leavers or disconnects, but I see there from what you've said that playing your favorite champ regardless of team comp seems to be causing at least some of your problems. My advice would be to learn to play a support (Sona and Taric are pretty easy for this; Janna, Morgana, and to a lesser extent Lux are also fine) or a tank (Malphite, Amumu, Rammus, Shen, and Galio are all good) in addition to carries or other dps champs. To be super well-rounded you could also pick up a strong jungler like Warwick.
I admit I do generally play Twitch when possible and rarely play tanks. That being said, did something change between those first 80 games and the last 60 where team composition might be playing a far larger role? I did plan on branching out a bit, but I was recommended to learn one guy and save IP to get appropriate runes when I hit level 20 - perhaps I'll have to change that schedule a little bit.

Norak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2010

If you want I can get on a smurf, play a match with you and see how your elo is going. I'll also give you some tips on how to improve so you can get out of your current elo and into a more favorable one, if you would like.

[EDIT] I added you in game, we'll talk further there.

Monkits

12-04-2010

Welcome to LoL's matchmaking system.

Kelborn Ordo

12-04-2010

My advice: Find a tank. Learn him. Love him. Play him.

Twitch is very fun. Very fun. However, you seem to have the exact problem I have with solo queue: your teammates just plain suck. With a 50/50-ish ELO (you're pretty close to even) you should be having balanced teams on both ends, but like me, you don't.

Which is why playing tanks can save you and your team. Kills are one thing, but keeping your allies from dieing in another. Denying them kills by slowing down a push can ultimately save a lane or two, and being able to initiate might help spur your teammates out of their drool-cup inspired stupor.

Try out Shen, Rammus, or Amumu. Maybe even Cho'gath and Xin Zhao (tank build Xin, I love it).

Lusis

12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avo345 View Post
I admit I do generally play Twitch when possible and rarely play tanks. That being said, did something change between those first 80 games and the last 60 where team composition might be playing a far larger role? I did plan on branching out a bit, but I was recommended to learn one guy and save IP to get appropriate runes when I hit level 20 - perhaps I'll have to change that schedule a little bit.
Runes aren't really important until you get much closer to 30. Try out different toons and get used to different roles.

One of the most important things for success in this game is having flexibility. That starts at the champ selection screen with making a strong team comp and carries over to how you build that champ based on the team you are facing. For instance if you play a tank then you will have a better understanding of how to coordinate with them even if you are playing Twitch. The more understanding you have of all the roles and strategies in the game the better you will be at each of them.

Oh and while leavers and feeders will always be an issue it gets much much better at around level 25+. I don't really get leavers very often at all anymore.

Pococuranté

12-05-2010

Well, thanks for the fantastic replies. I'll try out a tank, then - I've been wanting to get Malphite for a while now .

The concept of initiating came up, and I realized I forgot to put that in my initial post, because I actually did feel like that was one of the big issues when playing Twitch - he requires other people to fight, and no one ever seems to want to get in the front lines.

It's also good to hear that there's light at the end of the tunnel at higher levels. At least I have something to look forward to.

And see you in game, Norak .