[Guide] Ashe: The Team Queen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Narnak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2010

Madred's Bloodrazers are made for champs built around attack speed, because you need to attack quickly to really drop their health fast. More damage in that case doesn't matter as much for you. Champs with attack speed steroid spells do particularly well with Bloodrazors, such as Tristana or Miss Fortune (or Kog because of synergy with his barrage spell).

Ashe has a pretty low attack speed, nothing to boost it, and as mentioned is often kiting so a ridiculous attack speed will be bottlenecked by the fact that you are running while shooting and not standing in one spot.

I should probably note that my personal take is pretty much what most refer to as the Ashe Cooldown build. Many also play Ashe with a standard ranged carry build...that would be starting Doran's blade, maybe even stacking 1-2 more, then going for Infinite Edge+Last Whisper, and lastly grab some defense in the form of a Banshee's Veil or Guardian Angel. Which is definitely not wrong either, depending on your playstyle.

It is pretty much undisputed that Infinite Edge is the best damage item in the game, and Last Whisper is a super great item because of the massive amounts of armor penetration you get for such a small cost, and it even scales up for those stacking armor. However, if they are not stacking armor, straight penetration can be just as if not more effective, since with flat penetration you can penetrate well beyond 40% armor for squishies. So it is not a shock to see these two items recommended for Ashe by many people, including some of the best Ashe players. But there are also many great Ashe players that swear by the cooldown build as well. It comes down to whether or not you want to focus more on volley/crystal arrow or your right click. Either way both get boosted (since they both scale off AD and armor pen) but to a slightly different degree depending on the build.

As a final comment, while my build does not deviate much on Ashe from game to game (I generally build from the same set of like 7 or 8 items I like), the order I buy the components DOES often deviate. If I'm getting focused/killed in lane, defense will get me further and I might look to get some mitigation (Chain Vest, Negatron Cloak) early, or a Catalyst if I'm heading back to lane. Or more/less elixirs or wards depending how much money I end up with when I shop. The other team's actions dictate when I have a moment to leave lane to shop. So I can often not control how much money I'll have to spend. There is nothing wrong with getting components for two or even 3 different items at once (just need to be careful not to fill all your spaces if you think you'll need one for wards or another component very soon). My point is, you don't need to build in order...get what you have money to get, because you don't know when you'll be back to shop.

To put my advice into context, I am not a top player. I've played a lot of games with Ashe and I feel like I read forums and strategy sites as much as anyone, but I'm not high ELO or anything. Still I think my advice is pretty good; I try to be as objective as I can in this forum and not type my opinions unless I'm clear it is my opinion For more tips, I'd check out other strategy sites and just kinda eat up all the info and then apply it in practice and see what works for you. Leaguecraft.com, teamliquid.net, solomid.net, mobafire.com, and countless others (and of course these forums). Also maybe watch some streams of top Ashe players..many of them have live streams and/or saved streams you can go back and watch. Some top Ashe players I know of are Wickd (EU), Bigfatjiji, grandjudge. Phreak is also good at playing ranged carries but he hasn't streamed in awhile. 'm not sure grandjudge has a stream either but the other two do. Wickd's is just livestream.com/wickd and Bigfatjiji streams on clgaming.net. Really most top players play Ashe now and again I'm sure but those guys in particular play a lot of carries including Ashe. So you could probably go to any good livestream with saved matches and cherry pick the ones with Ashe in them. Some of them even have the vids organized by champion.

GCqR5Uimh9I8RaTo

12-06-2010

good guide

Narnak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2010

FYI, I think your guide is good. I don't agree with all your item choices but really items are not the most important part of a guide. They just frame the playstyle but the meat of any guide is explaining the nuances of the champion and how to use them effectively, which I think you did pretty well.

facelover

12-06-2010

I find that flat cooldown reduction runes are better then scale by level.
Flat are better as early game when you need it for using volley. By late game Ashes cooldowns are low enough for the difference between the two becomes negligble.

I say use arm. pen. marks and quintessence, mana per level seals, and flat cooldown reduction glyphs.

The LW + Brutalizer combo is superior to PD

I usually find that rushing brutalizer somewhere in the middle of IE works well if the opposing team has more then 2 melee dps, because they tend to have more health then ashe is capable of dealing with early to mid game, thus making your volley a much more effective poke.

Also if your playing against a tank team you should take a meki pendant + 2 health pots for first items then upgrade to chalice of harmony seeing as you'll have to spam volley to stay safe.

It is important to adapt to your team and opponents. No one build will always work and i think sticking to one build at all times makes you too predictable as most opponents are aware of popular builds. Being a little unique will always keep you one step ahead.

And as always these are just opinions......

hardFAILus

12-07-2010

Flash or Heal:
I would also recommend Flash over Heal with Ashe. But I think the argumentation for Flash so far has been lacking. Everyone says Flash is the number 1 espace skill. And it truly is, but it is also the number 1 offensive skill to get kills in early game with Ashe. There are so many other players with Flash or escape skills (Ezrael, Tryndamere) etc. that you need Flash in lots of times to hunt them down, cause your slow isn't always enough. Flash is great survivability and great for offense!

Summoner Skills:
I like the 21/8/1 approach and it is exactely what I have been doing lately. Yes hitting lvl 6 a bit quicker is sometimes nice, but Ashe is not 100% dependant on her ulti and 30 secs more or less with it just don't change the game. Besides that the 4 first points in utility are always wasted for like no effect. And if you have a jungler or other buff dependant characters you won't see them too often, so you don't neccesarily need the prolonged buff time.

Runes:
I guess the reason you need heal are your runes. If you play without heal quintessences you are of course having more trouble in early game 1vs1. So heal gives you enough time to make profit of the enhanced damage and kill. Haven't tested out 3 armor penetration quintessences yet, so can't judge if it pays off or not to do so.

Items:
I think Brutalizer is a must on Ashe. It just boosts her damage so much, that I rarely found a situation I thought it was not appropriate buying Brutalizer first. On the other hand most people look down on Berserker Greaves and call them the worst boots ever, but as long as you are not in 5vs5 team fights and laning and ganking is going on they are just too good on Ashe. Those 25% attack speed are so cheap, allow you to farm much better and it's a 25% damage boost for nothing. You can easily make use of them and gain more enough money to sell them later again and switch them to mercury boots if the situation calls for it and you got another item for attack speed anyways. Doran's stacking also works good if early game is problematic. Gives you the survivabilty you need to farm and the farm gives you the money for your real items.

I haven't done any calculations about the effect of all the armor items, but I have been using lots of different builts so far. And I made the experience that there are actually games where it pays off most to buy a giants belt first and turn it into Warmog's armor, instead of building armor and magic resist. But only if several circumstances are met:

1) No enemy with Madreds
2) Your Brutalizer + Infinity Edge is enough for quick kills at the moment. So you were able to get them really quick and enemies are squishy.
3) Enemies use lots of mixed damage (not 90% magic damage, or 90% physical damage)

If you follow with an Athma's Impaler you have a 50% crit chance, around 290 base dmg (>800 crits), 45 armor and ~3300 health + lots of health regen. Tower diving is absolutely no problem anymore and I was also able to kill all enemy glass cannons (like Twitch with 5 damage items) or Karthus with several Archangel's before they were able to get me.

Don't want to say it's THE SOLUTION at all, but I feel like the standardized items are not the only way to go with Ashe and there will be more viable ways in certain situations if people started to be more experimental.

Eledhan

12-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominatius Maxim View Post
No this is generally a bad idea. Unless you see multiple people stacking HP with no magic resist, you don't want to grab Madred's Bloodrazor on Ashe. Madred's is most useful for champs with fast attack speeds that can proc it very often. Ashe has painfully slow attack speed.
I see...

Well, I'm guessing that after you get Brutalizer and Ghostblade you would only go with Last Whisper if you are up against a champ with 100+ armor...

I have been testing out the brutlizer & ghostblade combo...and frankly...it's pretty darn good. I'll be running it through my calculator tomorrow, along with other potential item builds to see if I can determine how good it is compared to rushing Infinity Edge.

I have discovered that Infinity Edge + Ghostblade gives you all the crit chance you really need, since only one 3-sec period is required to get Ashe's crit chance above 50% due to her passive...great tips, guys! I'll be using this information to update the guide once I can get it all lined up. Hopefully then you guys can help me make sure it's ready to go.

Ashe needs an updated guide!!!

Eledhan

12-07-2010

To all who have posted in this topic...

Please take a moment to re-read the introduction of the OP. I have been enlightened by some of the gracious members of the community, and would like to make some adjustments, but that's going to take me some time, since it is finals week

Please continue making comments, but understand that I have realized a few things that I was unaware of before (since the FAQ on the subject is lacking in details), such as non-identical items' unique properties stacking.