Janna, Bringing out her true potential

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MelonBalla

12-03-2010

EDIT: Ive taken your feedback into consideration and made changes to the build that seem favorable.

Pre-face:

Janna has recently been recognized for being one of the most versatile and powerful heroes in the game. My build will show you exactly how to play her, and gives you strategies which none of the other builds have picked up on. Janna is an interesting champion and here are a few reasons why she can be the game-breaker:

Strengths/Weaknesses Analysis of Janna:

Strengths:

• Pushing
  • Team Battles
  • Survivability
  • Spell Damage
  • Farming

Weaknesses:
  • Low HP
  • Low Magic resistance and Armor
  • Low attack damage

That being said, there is only one way to play Janna - Max AP. The other builds such as Aura, Support and DPS Janna fall flat compared to AP Janna for one simple reason - AP stacking. When you purchase an AP item, it increases you damage output for Howling Gail, Zephyr and the strength of your Eye of the Storm shield. Infact, without high AP items you may as well forget about the 200~ damage Eye of Storm negates. My AP janna will negate 600+ dmg using Eye of Storm.

The Build -

Skills:
Q: Howling Gale - Upon activation starts channeling a circle of dust which turns into a tornado and goes in a straight line in the direction cast to the end of the spells radius, Charges for *UP TO* 5 seconds, or can be released upon command by activating the skill again. The bonus of charging it is to simply increase damage.

This skill is your bread and butter. It can dish out serious damage, while popping your enemy into the air and slowing them for a short period of time. This is your best asset because it is the only way you can take a mediocre Janna to an epic Janna - farming. At level 4, and backed up with 120+ AP, you should be able to clear an entire wave of creeps. The only draw back to this spell is it's mana cost - if you spam it, be prepared to run back to base for mana frequently

W: Zephyr - While available to cast you will have a move speed bonus, as well as the ability to avoid unit collision (It's like having perma-"ghost") Upon activation you will damage and slow for 4 seconds. While the ability is cooling down (meaning unable to be cast) you lose the passive bonus.

This skill is great because of the slow it provides. When combined with Rylai's the slow is even more painful. Use this early game to spam the enemy, because Howling Gale costs too much mana to spam.

E: Eye of The Storm - Shields the target allied champion *OR* turret, giving the bonus physical damage while the shield remains active. Shield wears off naturally after 12 seconds.

This is one of the best support skills in the game. When building your AP up, your shield will be able to block 600+ damage end game. After the last patch, the spell only lasts 5 seconds now so timing is crucial. Try to predict when the enemy will attack you, and shield yourself first to negate the damage.

R: Monsoon - Knocks all hostile targets away from yourself upon casting and if channeled it heals per second in the radius (clearly shown by a green energy-like field around you) for up to 6 seconds.

In the last patch Monsoon was nerfed, so now I get at lvl 10, because although it provides great utility it isn't as effective as your other spells. I must caution that a poorly placed Monsoon can also save the enemy and lose you the team battle, so BE CAREFUL! There are multiple ways to use this spell, here are some of them:
  • Heal your team in between team fights
  • Push the enemy away from yourself or your team to save them
  • Blink in, then use monsoon to push the enemy back towards your team mates so that they can be isolated.
  • Separate the enemy team to allow their enemies to be isolated
  • And... my favorite use of Monsoon, pinning the enemy against a SOLID wall with your blast - while your team mates tear them apart.

Passive: Increases movement speed of all allied champion's by 3%, global effect.

Runes: -% cooldown, ability power, magic penetration

Summoner Skills: Flash and Teleport

Flash - This spell is great for avoiding death because the opposing team will try to take you out first in any team battle. It's also great for planting the perfect Monsoon to knock your enemy back to your team as they try to run away. Another good use of this spell is jumping ahead just enough to get a Zephyr off when chasing - this could help your team catch the enemy before they get away with low hp.

Teleport - Perfect for supporting your main priority: Farming. This is a great utility spell because you can jump in on team fights when needed to save your team's skin with a Monsoon or Eye of the Storm. Try not to spam this spell, and wait for the right opportunity because it has a long cooldown.

Mastery Build: 9/0/21
  • You'll want to get the AP boost and 15% magic penetration on the Damage tree
  • Focus on masteries that boost your max mana (for Archangel Staff)
  • The other masteries are fairly self explanatory.

ITEMS:

This item build is primarily focused to give you as much AP as possible, so that you can continue to single-shot creep waves throughout the game. This will also give you the most damage with Howling Gale, Zephyr's and most defense with Eye of the Storm. The reason I don't get much items for survivability is because the higher your AP, the better your Eye of the Storm - and that will keep you alive if you play smart.

The Rylai's is essential to the build, because it provides both HP (survivability) and the extra slow on your spells. With this slow, you can chase down any enemy or initiate team fights catching the other team off guard with your Howling Gale.

If your game is going well, and you feel confident - You can substitute one of the items for Mejai's Soul stealer, because if you buff your team mates with Eye of the Storm you will get assists.
  • Catalyst the Protector
  • Blasting Wand
  • Boots 1
  • Blasting Wand > Rod of Ages
  • Boots 1 > Sorcerer's Shoes
  • Blasting Wand > Rylai's Crystal Scepter
  • Blasting Wand > Lich's Bane
  • Banshee's Veil
  • Zhonya's Ring

SKILL BUILD:
1: W (I prefer to get zephyr first because it costs much less mana than howling gale, so it is good for harassing the enemy)
2: E (This is good negating enemy dmg/spells, so keep your finger on the button for a quick cast)
3: W
4: Q (Fairly useless at level one, u may be able to get some creep kills with it, but save your mana and rather spam Zephyr)
5: Q
6: Q
7: Q (By now you should be able to wipe creep waves depending on your item progression)
8: E
9: Q (maxed out here)
10: R (I hold off on Monsoon til 10 because its a very weak spell, especially with the nerf to the healing it does and spell duration. This is best used to save yourself or team mates by pushing away the enemy, or can be used offensively in the same way.)
11: W
12: E
13: W
14: W (maxed out here)
15: E
16: E (maxed out here)
17: R
18: R (maxed out here)

Play Style:

Early Game(1-5): Janna is weak defensively, so playing it is safe is important throughout the entire game, especially at low levels. If you are a skilled Janna player, you can use Zephyr to help in an early gank, but I wouldn't push it. The most important thing at this point is your last hits, so that you can begin to farm your AP items.

Mid Game(5-11): At this point you should have Rod of Ages and maxed out Howling Gale, which means you can farm entire waves of minions. This will be crucial to you farming more AP items and reaching full strength.

Mid-Late Game(11-16): Now you should have enough AP items to dish out some serious damage using your Zephyr and Howling Gale. You should be actively participating in team battles, ganking and chasing down enemies.

Late Game(16+): This is where you can make the difference in team battles which will get you the win or loss. Play close attention to supporting your team with Eye of the Storm, and just keeping hitting them with your high damage spells.

Thanks for reading!

marwels23

12-03-2010

I just glanced over, and one thing I noticed is that you have the skill order slightly off. If I recall correctly, it's impossible to max a skill while only level 8; you need to be level 9 to max a skill.

MelonBalla

12-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwels23 View Post
I just glanced over, and one thing I noticed is that you have the skill order slightly off. If I recall correctly, it's impossible to max a skill while only level 8; you need to be level 9 to max a skill.
Thanks fixed.

Jeszra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2010

Few Questions:

1)Why not get Tear of the Goddess earlier to increase your mana and thus your AP later when you get Archangel's?

2)Is it really worth it to get a Rylai's for just one spell? I understand that Howling Gale is very important to your playstyle, but it seems like a lot of gold for just one spell.

Grand Pryce

12-03-2010

why are you phil stone ?

Crimson Rose

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2010

when i saw phil stone i was like, cool! hes gonna make shurelyas w/e like me (end game tho)

boy i was wrong.

then i saw archangel staff. was gonna close the thread and downvote but... then i saw maxing tornado, which also brought a nice laugh.

-1 for being bad.

MelonBalla

12-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeszra View Post
Few Questions:

1)Why not get Tear of the Goddess earlier to increase your mana and thus your AP later when you get Archangel's?

2)Is it really worth it to get a Rylai's for just one spell? I understand that Howling Gale is very important to your playstyle, but it seems like a lot of gold for just one spell.
I find that Tear of Goddess is too expensive early game, because for the same price you can get a 40 AP item that builds into Rylai's.

Rylai's is crucial because the slow makes your Zephyr and Howling Gale exponentially better. Plus Rylai's give 500 added HP which is huge for Janna.

Your right about archangel being great for Janna because of the mana, but I've found that if I go for mana items early (I used to go for Rod of Ages), it only slows down the speed at which you can farm. There is a threshhold with Howling Gale which allows you to kill a creep wave with 1 shot, and if you've reached that point by all means go for mana items and build towards archangel.

MelonBalla

12-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaumblir View Post
why are you phil stone ?
The phil stone... this is one thing that I was on the fence about. I end up using phil stone because it gives you early lane survival with the hp regen, while adding to the amount of gold you generate throughout the game. This item could definately be replaced with another, such as the Doran's Ring.

MelonBalla

12-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Rose View Post
when i saw phil stone i was like, cool! hes gonna make shurelyas w/e like me (end game tho)

boy i was wrong.

then i saw archangel staff. was gonna close the thread and downvote but... then i saw maxing tornado, which also brought a nice laugh.

-1 for being bad.
I've used this build over and over, and its a 'win' build for me everytime. Shurelei's is a waste of 2200 gold and a slot on Janna. I suggest you try the build before knocking it. I've played Janna almost every different way u can dream up.

Jeszra

12-03-2010

Are you soloing with this build? Ultimately, if you're pushing for being able to clear entire creep waves instantly, you're starving your teammate of gold, which isn't very useful if you're support and they're damage.

I assume, like Crimson Rose, I disagree with your build and playstyle because you focus too much on 1)farming, which reduces the value of your lane partner, 2)damage in team fights, which could (and probably does) limit your usefulness as a strong CC for your team, 3)your "defensive" strategy requires you to bubble yourself, which could leave your teammates open targets and 4)aura items would far better support your teammates' damage than the limited damage Janna can do with only 2 damage spells, and with most of her spells not scaling well with AP (shield being the exclusion).