[Guide]: Gangplank: "What's this, AP Business? Yar Har!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-10-2011

I was reading a different thread about this and it did give me some ideas.

My main problems are that I am spamming raise morale instead of actually doing anything bad to the enemy. Sure, with other champs I dont have parley, but Im usually doing SOMETHING to them.

I then have a hard time last hitting without being beaten up by the bad guys.

I like the idea of the rod of ages/early catalyst and may give that a try. I was trying to rush Sheen so that I could deal heavy damage (its about equal to 1.5 BFSwords) with parley and do some real harassment. Until then though, I had big mana issues and any non-sapphire start meant that it delayed things too much. I was OOM before I could farm up the 900ish gold.

Clarity helped solve this problem. After reading this, Ill try Catalyst before Sheen possibly and also only doing raise morale early on and then every 3rd wave to nuke the Cannon minion. That should free up a lot of mana for parley farming.

Cenerae

03-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
I was reading a different thread about this and it did give me some ideas.

My main problems are that I am spamming raise morale instead of actually doing anything bad to the enemy. Sure, with other champs I dont have parley, but Im usually doing SOMETHING to them.

I then have a hard time last hitting without being beaten up by the bad guys.

I like the idea of the rod of ages/early catalyst and may give that a try. I was trying to rush Sheen so that I could deal heavy damage (its about equal to 1.5 BFSwords) with parley and do some real harassment. Until then though, I had big mana issues and any non-sapphire start meant that it delayed things too much. I was OOM before I could farm up the 900ish gold.

Clarity helped solve this problem. After reading this, Ill try Catalyst before Sheen possibly and also only doing raise morale early on and then every 3rd wave to nuke the Cannon minion. That should free up a lot of mana for parley farming.
Actually, it's very standard play for Gangplanks to spend most of their mana on deny in the lane, whether they go AP or not. You're a weak laner with or without using Q to try and farm or harrass with anyway, but depriving the opponents in your lane of gold and experience is great. Much better than securing a bit of gold for yourself (especially at low ranks of Q where the gold bonus is tiny). Damage from the Q is also miniscule until higher ranks, so you don't really do much with it for harrass.

I don't think you need Clarity. Yeah it's nice to be able to spam Q a lot but at low levels there's little point to it anyway. Once you finish your Sheen is when you start using it to harrass people, because that's when it starts hurting.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2011

I just couldnt get enough gold for catalyst/sheen. I want Sheen ASAP while laning still occurs so I can deal some actual damage. Hence I skipped catalyst till after sheen and even after Hexgun.

I tried by starting with heavy denial, then at level 3 with a rank2 parley I would use that to lasthit stuff that I could never get to with melee range, and just denied as needed to keep the creeps close to my tower, and also the cannon minion.
That helped a lot and I got sheen several creepwaves faster than normal.

Craixis

05-03-2011

Times, they are a changing, and denying got removed...

Changed the early game text a bit, posted early game damage comparisons for the Sheen vs BF Argument (or the Lich bane vs IE argument).

Just to note, Brutalizer vs Sheen is another argument entirely, as Brutalizer keeps your damage true damage until level 8 vs level 3... that is unless of course they have armor runes or items, but against standard carries, Brutalizer is a sick early game item. I believe Sheen still comes out on top (due to it being an extra 108 damage vs 30), but Brutalizer lowers you Cooldown and can be built into Ghostblade, making it a very powerful first choice for a standard melee carry build.