Nidalee, Why Don't You Spear Spam?!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sinovera

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2010

Okay, so I main Nidalee and I like to think that I'm pretty good with her and my team loves me playing Nidalee. However, if I play solo/duo queue the randoms that I get matched with seem to frequently complain about my spears. They don't complain about anything else.. but just spears.

What they don't like is that I don't use it often enough. I max E first. going E Q [E W] (or W E if situation calls for it) E R for 1 - 6. Obviously I like to focus on heals and it so happens that I like to keep my MANA for heals as well. Yet I get people going "spam spear more" "why aren't you using spear?" "chuck a spear at him!!"

I use it when it's NECESSARY not just for the heck of it. I do not use it as a spam harass because, well, believe it or not, I want to HEAL so I can LIVE and FARM. -_-;

Am I in the wrong here? Other Nid players, what do you do?

LilBoy Blue

12-14-2010

i'd think this would depend on your lane opponents.

some are very weak to harassment, some will just ignore it. i know i've ended up way ahead in farming when my opponent is focused on hitting me instead of the minions, but on weaker early game champs constant harass can really suck.

Sinovera

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2010

Yes, it does depend on the lane opponents, if I see that they are extremely squishy I WILL chuck spears at them. Champs like Sivir or Ashe take a colossal amount of damage and damaging those people for a significant amount of damage is something that I WILL classify as "necessary" since it will lead to 1) them not farming, 2) them not harassing us, and 3) a kill later.

But when it's a champ like Cho'Gath and I'm doing hardly anything to him I find it a complete waste of mana... and not to mention he's just getting the health back from minion kills. Like you said, some just ignore it and I find it a waste in that case =/.

Greenfin Tuna

12-14-2010

Just ignore them the stuff i seen on solo queue disgust me. Today i saw a tank sivir now i can say i seen it all.

Astro

Master Recruiter

12-14-2010

I just started playing with her(about 10 games) and I really find spear spamming effective. If you start with a doran's ring and get mp5 runes seals, you don't run out of mana before lvl 6 and by then they're at less then 50% hp and you eat them alive with the cougar.

And the more you level it, it becomes a damage dealing monster! You can gank anybody by just throwing a spear from a bush and destroying then cougar style afterwards.

And on the healing side, having 1 level in it up to lvl 6 is way enough and getting it to level 2-3 afterwards will do the job.

That's been my experience.

Cenerae

12-14-2010

Heal first is usually the way to go, because it allows you to trade harrass with your opponent and come out ahead, rather than rely on a slow moving skillshot to harrass with. Nobody with a shred of sense is going to get hit by that spear while their attention is soley devoted to you (IE, you are in the laning phase) unless you're not making a long distance shot. If you're not making a long distance shot, then there's no point using it in the first place.

Then there's the point to consider that Swipe is considerably better for last hitting and harrassing, whereas Takedown is only potent on low hp targets. That, and most intelligent people tend to back off when Nidalee starts to move toward them in cougar form so you may not even get to use it on your opponent most of the time. Pouncing at them and hitting Swipe will be more likely to deal damage.

Claricorp

12-14-2010

Harrass if they are a mage, or have no way to heal other than health potions, then its definately worth it.

Sinovera

12-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
Then there's the point to consider that Swipe is considerably better for last hitting and harrassing, whereas Takedown is only potent on low hp targets. That, and most intelligent people tend to back off when Nidalee starts to move toward them in cougar form so you may not even get to use it on your opponent most of the time. Pouncing at them and hitting Swipe will be more likely to deal damage.
Don't quite get what that part's about? It sounds like you're talking about leveling the skills... in which case, Nidalee's cougar skills do not level up from you leveling the Q W E. They only level up from leveling up R.

ALargeBear

12-14-2010

You're doing just fine. All top player streams I've watched playing Nidalee, they level up her E (heal) first, and basically never use Q to harass. Just use it to try and help kill someone pre-level 6 during an already committed fight. I've played as her a bit, and just from that small experience know why. The spear, though it can do some pretty immense damage, is too slow moving, the hitbox is too large, and takes up a TON of mana. Anyone competent can easily juke a spear throw, or just stand behind their minions.

What I usually see is them using the huge attack speed buff that she gains from it to trade hits and zone out the opposition. Even if you're an actual DPS ranged carry, you can't stand to trade hits in the early game when you have no damage items yet. The heal is too strong, and the increased attack speed gives her a much higher damage output than others can compete with.

Cenerae

12-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinovera View Post
Don't quite get what that part's about? It sounds like you're talking about leveling the skills... in which case, Nidalee's cougar skills do not level up from you leveling the Q W E. They only level up from leveling up R.
Is that right?

Well ****, I need to read tooltips more carefully.

Even so, the point about being able to trade harrass stands. Better to swap harrass and heal up the damage rather than rely on a slow moving skillshot to do it for me.