Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Looking to polish up my Garen play.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raoool

12-03-2010

Quote:
seajaydub:
You don't get better at the game by playing Garen. You get better at the game by learning about a lot of different champs. I'm assuming you either picked Garen because he is OP, because he is easy to play, or because you saw him on the a tier list. That doesn't cause you to get better at the game. Just the fact that a Katarina was giving you problems as Garen indicates to me that you have no concept of game mechanics. So instead of making stupid comments about how I get killed by Garen too often, how about you listen to me and pick a different champ. Garen cannot and will not improve your LoL gameplay. Ever.

I play Amumu, Rammus, Tryndamere, and Garen. You're missing the the big picture. I ADMITTED I'm new and I need help. Obviously I don't have a perfect grasp on game mechanics, which is why I asked why those combinations killed me. Instead of helping me, you tried to troll me for no reason, again, probably because you hate Garen because he's killed you too many times. I can play other heroes, you just assume I can't because you saw me ask for Garen advice and you hate Garen, so you think I'm some n00b who only plays Garen which is clearly not the case.

seajaydub

12-03-2010

I hate Garen because he is the epitome of everything that is currently wrong with the game. Stop trying to be funny because it doesn't work. Also, you threw the first stone. Seriously though, playing Garen will make you worse at LoL. Garen syndrome will set in and you will get gradually more careless because he never dies. It's just how it works. But if you honestly want advice against Katarina or MF, here. For Katarina, save your silence. She can't do jack **** to you without her ult. If she shunpo's to you, she eats Garen's spin to win and bouncing blade does not really do enough damage to cause any problems on its own. If she ults, just Q her and it ends. For Miss Fortune you just need to get a hit off. If you have any armor her auto attacks won't be very effective early on and she will have to rely on kiting and use of her E. If she tries to slow you, spin to win and remove the slow then Q or ghost to close the gap. After strut has been knocked you can go all beyblade on her ass and eat her. Also, ghost > flash on Garen or really any tanky character that doesn't have an aoe ult. Durable characters get much greater benefit from a long-term speed boost than a short-range flash.

Raoool

12-03-2010

Quote:
seajaydub:
I hate Garen because he is the epitome of everything that is currently wrong with the game. Stop trying to be funny because it doesn't work. Also, you threw the first stone. Seriously though, playing Garen will make you worse at LoL. Garen syndrome will set in and you will get gradually more careless because he never dies. It's just how it works. But if you honestly want advice against Katarina or MF, here. For Katarina, save your silence. She can't do jack **** to you without her ult. If she shunpo's to you, she eats Garen's spin to win and bouncing blade does not really do enough damage to cause any problems on its own. If she ults, just Q her and it ends. For Miss Fortune you just need to get a hit off. If you have any armor her auto attacks won't be very effective early on and she will have to rely on kiting and use of her E. If she tries to slow you, spin to win and remove the slow then Q or ghost to close the gap. After strut has been knocked you can go all beyblade on her ass and eat her. Also, ghost > flash on Garen or really any tanky character that doesn't have an aoe ult. Durable characters get much greater benefit from a long-term speed boost than a short-range flash.

I appreciate that you actually gave me advice this time around but you clearly threw the first stone (your "steps to win&quot. I was getting legitimate advice up until you came into the thread and nows its just a big flame war. I play Garen because I've found the most success playing as him, not because I'm incapable of playing other heroes. My favorite hero to play is Rammus, but I'm not asking for advice about him because I have fun winning or losing as opposed to Garen who is only fun when I'm stomping face.

Doriantv

12-03-2010

Tank Garen builds are probably going to be nerfed sometime soon (according to Morello) sadly due to all the qq. A shame really, though I hope they make AD/Crit Garen viable as compensation.

Vs Katarina, buy MR (counterintuitive, I know, but her skills go off magic damage).

Vs MF, you have to get around her kiting, which unfortunately is hard to do thanks to Strut and Make it Rain. If you've flanked her, though, you can go to town on her a$$.

Kaboom Hammer

12-03-2010

Quote:
themarsHOVA:
I play Amumu, Rammus, Tryndamere, and Garen. You're missing the the big picture. I ADMITTED I'm new and I need help. Obviously I don't have a perfect grasp on game mechanics, which is why I asked why those combinations killed me. Instead of helping me, you tried to troll me for no reason, again, probably because you hate Garen because he's killed you too many times. I can play other heroes, you just assume I can't because you saw me ask for Garen advice and you hate Garen, so you think I'm some n00b who only plays Garen which is clearly not the case.

Some people on this forum can just never be happy. They rage about how stupid noobs are, and when people like yourself ask for advice they troll you. There are people on this forum who will actually try to help you. As for you Kat question, when she activates her ulti, you can run up and hit her with you "q" (devisive strike, i think) and it will stop her from channeling her ulti, effectively wasting part or all of its affect. There are a number of abilitys that can do this.

seajaydub

12-03-2010

Quote:
themarsHOVA:
I appreciate that you actually gave me advice this time around but you clearly threw the first stone (your "steps to win&quot. I was getting legitimate advice up until you came into the thread and nows its just a big flame war. I play Garen because I've found the most success playing as him, not because I'm incapable of playing other heroes. My favorite hero to play is Rammus, but I'm not asking for advice about him because I have fun winning or losing as opposed to Garen who is only fun when I'm stomping face.

Sorry, I'm not really angry at you, more Riot in general. They release all of these interesting and fun champions and then they are completely nulled by the Tanky DPS metagame. Garen is the worst perpetrator because his skills have the highest base damage to scaling damage ratios effectively making him THE ONLY character in the game that can do threatening damage with zero damage items. (Sunfires don't count).

omgacow

12-03-2010

spin to win