Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Looking to polish up my Garen play.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IHeartPie

12-02-2010

Start with Dorian Shield
more Hp = more health regen by passive
more armor = harder to be killed
health regen = you decide when to leave the lane
Then, your first trip back [should be a while, due to your passive], buy whatever combo you can afford:
Boots lvl 1
Boots lvl 2 [should either be merc treads, or if they have no CC, then swiftness]
Boots lvl 1 + Giant's belt
Finish off the sunfire on your next trip.
Sunfire is amazing, since it increases your gold count dramatically.
One judgement + sunfire finishes a creepwave easy and gives you almost all last hit.
Another use of sunfire is since you are god **** garen, you rush in, pop courage, let the team fight play out, and even if you dont get all the kills, you'd definately get assists due to the sunfire dmg.
These two elements net you alot of cash, so just proceed from there however u want.
If they arnt smart enough to get magic resist, more sunfires will melt them like butter.

seajaydub

12-02-2010

How to win at Garen

Step 1: Buy Doran's or Boots
Step 2: Wait in bush
Step 3: Locate "E" (This is the tricky part)
Step 4: Press "E"
Step 5: Win
Step 6: Grow bored with your easymode, noob champion and pick a different one
Step 7: Get better at the game
Step 8: ???
Step 9: Profit

[EDIT] Step 10: Late game, remember to KS teammates with R

Raoool

12-02-2010

Quote:
seajaydub:
How to win at Garen

Step 6: Grow bored with your easymode, noob champion and pick a different one
Step 7: Get better at the game
Step 8: ???
Step 9: Profit

Someone's been killed by too many Garens LOL.

stiill

12-02-2010

Quote:
seajaydub:
How to win at Garen

Totally oversimplified.

In the late game, you also have to use "R".

Doriantv

12-03-2010

Seriously, that is also totally oversimplified. Just because you're playing Garen doesn't mean you can get away with no map awareness, no warding, no positioning skill, no last-hitting, etc. You need to still manage all of that.

@OP: Sunfire Cape is a great choice to get first IMO. Also, Phantom Dancer is an overrated item that's really expensive. You can look up angryjanitor's excellent Garen guide, it taught me how to play Garen correctly.

Petrouchka

12-03-2010

aside from items i have one garen tip i've learned from using him a fair bit. you don't need to wait for R to be a sure kill. if your target is taking damage from that ashe on your team, hit R early, go ahead, trust me, they'll die anyway and your carry will get much needed gold. garen with just one sunfire cape will get all the gold he needs without even trying.

Raoool

12-03-2010

After implementing some of the tips from this thread, I've noticed my Garen play get a little better but I ran into two roadblocks yesterday. One was a Katarina who did nothing but stack BF swords. Somehow, she cut through our team like butter on the way to all of us surrendering. Next was a Miss Fortune who did nothing but stack Doran's blades also en route to all of us surrendering at the 17 minute mark. How did these cheap builds beat not only Garen but my entire team as well?

seajaydub

12-03-2010

Quote:
themarsHOVA:
After implementing some of the tips from this thread, I've noticed my Garen play get a little better but I ran into two roadblocks yesterday. One was a Katarina who did nothing but stack BF swords. Somehow, she cut through our team like butter on the way to all of us surrendering. Next was a Miss Fortune who did nothing but stack Doran's blades also en route to all of us surrendering at the 17 minute mark. How did these cheap builds beat not only Garen but my entire team as well?

Fail. Garen has a silence which should be saved for Katarina's ult.

Quote:
themarsHOVA:
Someone's been killed by too many Garens LOL.

Someone is absolute trash and is asking advice on the easiest character in the game. And if you actually laughed that hard from your own pathetically unfunny comment then I don't know what to say.

Quote:
stiill:
Totally oversimplified.

In the late game, you also have to use "R".

Fixed for you.

Raoool

12-03-2010

Quote:
seajaydub:
Fail. Garen has a silence which should be saved for Katarina's ult.

Someone is absolute trash and is asking advice on the easiest character in the game. And if you actually laughed that hard from your own pathetically unfunny comment then I don't know what to say.

Fixed for you.

Wow, someone's a little bitter. I'm new to the game so I'm asking for advice you stupid ****. It's CLEARLY obvious that too many Garens have killed you so you have nothing better to do than troll someone who wants to get good with him. That's why you "don't know what to say" because there is nothing to say. You're a negative, bitter little **** and you need to stop trying so hard.

seajaydub

12-03-2010

You don't get better at the game by playing Garen. You get better at the game by learning about a lot of different champs. I'm assuming you either picked Garen because he is OP, because he is easy to play, or because you saw him on the a tier list. That doesn't cause you to get better at the game. Just the fact that a Katarina was giving you problems as Garen indicates to me that you have no concept of game mechanics. So instead of making stupid comments about how I get killed by Garen too often, how about you listen to me and pick a different champ. Garen can not and will not improve your LoL gameplay. Ever.