Looking to polish up my Garen play.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Raoool

12-02-2010

I bought Garen after I played him in one of the rotations and I've used him almost exclusively ever since. I usually have a 3:1 K/D ratio when we win and a 2:1 to 1:1 K/D when we lose, with quite a few assists either way. The summoner spells I use are flash/exhaust.

I level up judgement first followed by courage. I am frequently at the top of the last hit chart so I think leveling up courage outweighs leveling up decisive strike early game. Judgement I use mainly to harass and last hit two or more creeps at once.

My main item build is as follows. Heavy AP opposing team? Start with Null magic mantle and two potions, finish mercury treads at first fountain trip, then I usually go Force of Nature followed by Phantom Dancer. Heavy AD opposing team? Start with cloth armor and two potions, finish ninja tabi at first fountain trip, then I usually go Randuin's Omen followed by Phantom Dancer.

Can anyone give me some good tips or point out any flaws in my game? I can't play ranked games yet so this is for normal games only. I come from an extensive DOTA background so I wouldn't consider myself a n00b but I wouldn't consider myself experienced.

Narcindin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2010

When thinking about getting tanky items keep this (very oversimplified) formula in mind.

Defensive ability = resist * health.

What this means is that if you don't have any health items your resists aren't doing much good.
What most ppl do (myself included) is get at least one sunfire then a FoN if you need the magic resist. You NEED least some health items on garen. The early Randuin's is fine if you really like the cdr.

Now about the phantom dancer. Long story short, you are better off getting an ie if you are trying to do dmg and I know the movement speed is fun but trust me on this one.

Try this build: Dorans shield, boots, sunfire, sunfire, Fon. Always keep a red pot with you and get boots early. Get the giants belt before the armor.

But hey, do whatever works for you. What I just described is a more standard ranked garen build.

Raoool

12-02-2010

I agree that my items lack health early game but I usually play 3v3 and I take the top solo which gives me the advantage in levels. Garen's health seems to scale pretty well as he levels but I'm interested in trying the sunfire cape build. But is two really necessary?

Redenbacher

12-02-2010

Two is not necessary, but you should have at least one health health item. I don't see why Warmog's, Randuin's Omen, and FoN wouldn't work (besides cost), followed by damage items such as IE, Youmuu's, etc. I've yet to see a Garen who had issues farming, however. A single Sunfire will work as well, without a doubt.

Since Garen's abilities have no cost except CDR, improving your CDR couldn't hurt at all. Randuin's + Youmuu's will give you 30% CDR.

Raoool

12-02-2010

So would you say Ghostblade outweighs Phantom Dancer because of the CDR? I like Phantom Dancer mostly because of the increased movement speed. Garen has limited slows or stuns so I like the % movement speed that Force of Nature and Phantom Dancer give me.

I did however just play a game starting with Doran's shield and working my way up to sunfire cape and it worked pretty well.

Tokinatoor

12-02-2010

Garen is a HORRIBLE auto-attacker. He should be played as an Ability Spammer.

Ghostblade is probably better than phantom dancers because of the CDR and armor penetration.

I always start with boots for the speed. It works wonders for first blood and staying alive in early game gank fest (twisted treeline).

My favorite garen build is boots, warmongers, atmas. Warmongers and atmas boost your survivability by huge amounts and atmas gives you an excellent amount of damage with warmongers.

FoN works well with warmongers too, gives you INSANE regen. Infinity Edge works well with Atmas because of the damage and critical strike %. Thornmail is good for heavy physicals like Olaf, Xin, Jax.

I used to buy phantoms dancers after infinity edge too but the attack speed on Garen is next to useless. Im always running towards my enemy with Abilities ready to spam or I am running away from an enemy constantly spamming abilities while I run. (his abilities are GREAT for running away)

Cooldown Reduction is great on garen but he does not need it. I prefer just Tower crushing damage and ****loads of resistance, health and regen.

Sunfire, Ghostblade and Randuin's are all great items for garen.

FalcoLombardi

12-02-2010

I find that I have a ton of dmg on garen without any damage items. I just stack sunfires and let me in battle presense do the work. If you have merc treads and courage, you have about 100 mr anyway at level 18, so you don't really need more. If you time courage right, you lower all magic dmg an additional 25%

There are certainly other builds, but once you get 2 sunfires you're pretty set, though you could get a force of nature or veil if cc is high. Having another 1k hp is like 2k hp with 100 mr which will help you survive spells anyway. You can also get frozen mallet, but you will have less dmg than cape. You shouldn't need to survive more than 3 spell rotations. 3k hp, -25% dmg and 100 mr, the only things that can hurt you are bloodrazors.

Radamanthys3

12-02-2010

Garen's a no brainer. Start with Boots and health pots, make a sunfire cape and upgrade boots to swiftness boots once your opponents upgrade to lv2 boots.

If they have a lot of casters, buy a Negatron Cloak then make another sunfire cape. Then either finish Negatron Cloak into Force of Nature, buy another Sunfire cape if you're rolling or get a Guardian's Angel.

in other words, stack sunfire capes and spin to win

Shashakiro

12-02-2010

Don't build Garen as a DPS. An AD/crit item or two won't hurt, but NEVER buy AS on him, it's 100% worthless. The movespeed from Phantom Dancer really just isn't worth the cost, given how much you're spending on AS when you buy it.

You should mainly buy survivability; Sunfire Cape provides excellent survivability while upping your damage output in addition. It's Garen's signature item for a reason.

That being said, Doran's Shield is probably overboard for the early game. With HP quints and masteries, you'll have over 700 HP without a Doran's item. Boots and 3 pots, or Boots/pots/ward at golem, is probably a better choice, since it'll make it easier to keep fleeing enemies in your spin.

CaptainMĂ„rvelous

12-02-2010

Garen is one of those odd champs who excels at things he wasn't meant to. In this case, that thing is tanking.

Garen's judgement is strong for the DPS output and how it can lower/remove slow effects. Ramudin's is awesome because of it's slow and it's tank power.

Skill order: R->E->W->Q, getting Q before W so you have one extra thing to use in a fight.

Don't use all your abilities in one creep wave. It's foolish.