Let's Talk About: Trundle Item Builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PerAnon

12-02-2010

Tough jungle characters are what I'm all about, so Trundle seemed cool. After a few games with pretty mixed results, I decided to come talk to you guys!

Guidelines:

Jungle only please - Trundle doesn't have a lot to bring to a lane, and he jungles very well. His level 4 gank is solid, with good chase between Contaminate and Pillar. Jungle seems like a no brainer.

No bizarre AP/Lifesteal/Soul Shroud whatever builds - Let's be realistic. Lifesteal stacking is not a real strategy, AP is useless on this guy, and anyone who stacks aura items should just use a champion who those items actually help.

My thoughts:

At first I thought, "hey cool +40 damage buff - I should build attack speed to capitalize on this". Built Bloodrazors, some defense - this build was terrible for me.

Then I read all his abilities and actually thought about them, and realized that his craziest steroid is the +60% attack speed from Contaminate. AD compliments AS. Add to this the fact that Q is a free attack that scales with AD as well, and AD is clearly the way to increase your output. So.

Starting with the traditional Cloth Armor + 5 pots.
Boots 1 + Madred's Razor (Razor is just a solid item for the jungle, helps with Dragon, etc.
Wriggle's Lantern - Cheap, free wards, a little bit of a lot of things you want, and even the lifesteal helps you stay topped off when clearing the jungle between ganks.
Merc Treads - MR is great, Contaminate isn't up all the time, these are good boots.

Up to this point, I feel very good about the build. Next, I'm less confident, but here are my thoughts on the rest of the build:

Heart of Gold: Planning on an Omen later - Omen is just a great item, and even has some synergy with Trundle's ult. In the meantime, adds some defense and health, not to mention a little gold until you make the plunge. Worries: is this too defensive? Does Trundle need more damage to be effective?

Hexdrinker: Beautiful. AD, MR, sweet passive. Can't think of a reason not to get this.

Brutalizer: AD and ArPen are great, CDR is legit. Build this into Yomouu's later (however it's spelled). Worries: is this not defensive enough? Am I sacrificing too much defense to grab this?

So far, that's been what I've been playing with. Some items that I haven't gotten yet, and why:

Sheen->Triforce: I actually did pick up a Sheen one game, but it really disappointed me in terms of damage output. Also, the mana and AP really don't benefit Trundle in any noticeable way, making this a rough buy at any early point in the game.

Phage->Frozen Mallet: I honestly try to avoid Mallet if I can get away with it. It is extremely expensive for its effect, and comes with only 20 AD - 830 gold worth of Longswords on a 3k+ item. The health is fine, but I like resists better in general. Especially as an early buy, this is a rough choice for how little offense it adds.

Atma's Impaler: Armor, AD, Crit? Seems good actually, maybe I should give this a shot? I frankly forgot about it in the couple games I played, so my bad there.

Defensive Junk: Banshee's/GA/Thornmail - situationally incredible, I think we can all agree.

So! What are your thoughts?

TL;DR:

Wriggle's Lantern and Hexdrinker are awesome.

I don't know if these are awesome:
Brutalizer/Youmouus
Heart of Gold/Randuin's
Atma's Impaler

Maybe I'm completely wrong and Mallet + Sheen is #1 best Trundle 4eva.

Von Nicklesnout

12-02-2010

The item build I had the greatest success with was using a sort of Brolaf build on him.

Banshee's Veil, Atma's Impaler, Spirit Visage, Manamune(Endless mana regen), and Stark's Fervor with a pair of Merc Treads.

It afforded me stupid survivability and some very good damage output, had roughly 283 AD at the end of the game with Rabid Bite's effect up. As for runes, they were ArPen Marks, Health Quints, CDR Glyphs, and HP/5 per level seals, with about 100 HP/5 regen due to 9/21/0 masteries.

PerAnon

12-02-2010

Is Manamune needed? Early game, blue buff covers you pretty well, and I've never had mana troubles late.

My runes have been Arpen Red, Dodge Yellow, MR/level Blue, and HP Quints.

illset

12-02-2010

i played trundle as a jungle my first 5 games so always keeping the blue buff.. but he does so well as a laner i prefer to lane with him give blue to a mage.. manamune is my first core item and works fantastic.. never run out of mana and with the plus ad works great.

atsmith893

12-02-2010

Does spirit visage work on trundle? I have heard negative things about visage on him?

Ownist

12-02-2010

I'm with Nostik. Laning is great. Trundle has amazing utility and can help land the last hit more then not. Plus, his AS buff, zomg.

G4MR

12-02-2010

I personally prefer boots of swiftness for the speed boost, will try MT though.

Also solo laning is good. I got lvl 10 vs 2 lvl 6's, not sure if they were bad or what but they couldn't do much.

illset

12-02-2010

his w is amazing! piller is great in the lane when you throw it in the bush.. line of sight.. so you can see if someone is in there.

Question: havn't seen anyone try it.. i think i will when i get home from work.. you have 2 skills that scale.

q - ad ult ap.. has anyone tried a hydrid build? manamune + aa possible? than as / crit maybe? dont know havn't experimented that yet. His ult definitly makes a difference when your taking down someone with decent ap i would think his ult could be a huge disable.

posted this on another thread but that thread is dead lol

PerAnon

12-02-2010

What does Trundle bring to a lane? Have you ever laned against people with any ranged abilities at all? How were you not harassed out?

illset

12-02-2010

his w lets you move around fast around minions to get last hits and harass

e gives you line of sight in the bushes and blocks them for gank or to save your lane partner and or yourself

q farm -