Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Riot: Can the DoT mechanic get some love?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AeonMax

12-02-2010

Most DoT abilities apply consistent damage on each tick over the duration.

DoT has several counters, including shields, HoT, burst heal, or simply moving away. This makes DoT unreliable and inferior to burst damage, and typically the AP ratios are boosted to try and compensate. Swain and Malzahar are examples of this, but are still not good choices for the mage role in a team lineup.

One suggestion is to rework the DoT mechanic so that the damage, instead of being evenly distributed, is weighted towards the front and tapers off towards the back. This makes DoT more bursty but still preserves the aspect of echoing damage.

Riot has already taken a step in this direction with the recent changes to Amumu, Morde and Morgana, where some or all of the damage is now front-loaded, but I think a more graduated distribution of the damage is preferable.

BlackLancer

12-02-2010

aka use a mathematical function instead of LOL MORDE GETS FREE HEAL WITH ULT

Malurth

12-02-2010

They always mention how they shy away from DoT skills because they feel unsatisfying so they have to make them OP for them to feel good

While I disagree with this on a personal level (I love watching their health tick away long after I've stopped engaging), I am disappointed with how it's effectively inferior to a completely frontloaded skill of the same amount.

For example, if get a malefic visions on a morgana, she can just be like, lol, shield. If I did a fireball with annie, on the other hand, that morgana would have to be pretty clutch to block that in time (definitely expecting it).

You can heal DoT off too; if an enemy has 70 health and my fireball and my dot both do 80 (after mr), well, blam dead with fireball, but lol health potion with DoT.

In nearly every aspect I can think of, burst is better or level with DoT. The only thing I can think of is psychological; at a certain level of health after getting bursted they may back off for fear of more ow, but DoT is more subtle so they might not notice until it's too late.

Spoing

12-02-2010

Making dots stronger to offset the time to deal the damage would be cooler. Nothing is more fun than to put a DoT on someone with a fed swain, waiting until you get your gold 3 seconds later.

Krosan

12-02-2010

The reason those DoT spells were frontloaded is because they were tied to CC effects and Merc Treads were screwing over their damage.

Regular DoTs don't need it.

AeonMax

12-02-2010

bump

AeonMax

12-03-2010

bump for red