LCS Livestream not available for Chromecast?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sabastien

08-01-2013

So the Chromecast came out this week. I was quite excited to be able to watch the LCS streams on my big TV in my living room. However, when I fired it up I received the message "this video is not available on Chromecast", similar to when an uploader disallows mobile viewing. LCS videos work fine, but sending the livestream to Chromecast seems to have been disabled. Is this intentional or an oversight?

Riot Janook

Senior Esports Coordinator

Follow Riot Janook on Twitter

08-01-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey Sabastien,

First off, no this is not intentional. The Chromecast is a pretty new device that we haven't quite played with yet. Which LCS stream are you trying to watch? I'm guessing the YouTube one; are you trying to watch through the YouTube app, or through the chrome browser (both via ChromeCast)?

Thanks!

Sabastien

08-02-2013

It was the youtube one. I can watch via the browser and stream the tab itself fine, but that has all the problems of streaming a tab (lower quality, requires keeping the tab fullscreen, etc). I tried the direct streaming both using my browser (chrome) and the mobile youtube app and both gave me error messages that the video was not available for Chromecast.

Thanks for the quick response! I understand its a very new device and is bound to have some hiccups. Very happy to hear it's not intentional.

smune

08-02-2013

Yea, I plugged in my ChromeCast yesterday with the intention of watching LCS livestream through YouTube but it gave me the same playback error.

Really hope this can start working soon.. before Worlds I hope!

smune

08-02-2013

One thing I found from Chromecast support page:

Please note:

* Some videos may not play using Chromecast. Private videos, live content, and videos not approved for mobile playback will not work with Chromecast.

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../2995235?hl=en

ಠ╭╮ಠ

sirpryzbuttsechs

08-02-2013

Hey I was just trying to figure out the same thing that your having an issue with. However there is a small work around. I wish it could be different and seeing how there is a work around like this why they just dont enable it the correct way for chromecast is annoying. chromecast works two ways it streams what you click on the youtube channel so it streams only that and your computer doesnt play it. The second is to make chromecast stream what your computer sees within its browser (chrome browser) so by clicking on the box right next to the address bar the making the video go to full screen it will still stream live lcs games. However awesome this is my comp is not op enough to stream full screen and play league at the same time . Hopefully yours can.

PS I havent been able to even get the stream working on my mobile device to see if i can figure something out there i will wait till it starts live again.

PSS TY riot for the quick response to this it is nice to see you guys are so involved with the new tech!

sirpryzbuttsechs

08-02-2013

ok figured out you cant do it from an iphone and i havent figured it out with a windows based tablet.. it is my roomates so no idea what it is lol

Sabastien

08-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by smune View Post
One thing I found from Chromecast support page:

Please note:

* Some videos may not play using Chromecast. Private videos, live content, and videos not approved for mobile playback will not work with Chromecast.

https://support.google.com/chromecas.../2995235?hl=en

ಠ╭╮ಠ
Well that's discouraging, and also very strange because I've seen other people talking about using it with other livestreams. Hell Lollapalooza is specifically advertising that you can stream it to your Chromecast.

D3liverence

08-22-2013

Anyone ever find a fix for this?

WiglyWorm

01-14-2014

It's a chromecast/youtube limitation, not anything to do with Riot or the LCS.

I'm really hoping Riot can develop something internally that will let us do this. I really REALLY want to watch the LCS on my big screen.