Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Samuel L Jaxx

07-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Another thing to keep in mind, Skarner has very low play rate and sub 50% win rate right now. There is no intention of nerfing him.

http://www.lolking.net/champions/

Skarner PICK 1.39% WIN: 48.72%

Urgot PICK:0.54% WIN: 42.32%

I know this thread isnt about him but does urgot need more help?

I like both champs, and they feel underplayed but I love them anyway.

KyuubiShin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

I kind of want to see Skarner with some sort of burrow ability. Maybe a pseudo stealth mechanic that results in a brief knock up when he surfaces, something like Ramus power ball with a dust trail particle to give him away or something. I always thought he should burrow underground for some reason lol

Charlie460

07-29-2013

I have over 140 games with skarner in season 2, and I would say that now he would need a faster clear time in the jungle since it has been buffed, maybe buffing his E would help him a lot. The fact that you required movement speed quints makes him miss that damage he needs level 1.

I think that the only reason why we miss skarner so much is because he is slow in the jungle now compared to others, so it means he cant have as much presence as any other jungler can at the moment, and again, this means he cant compete in the ganks, gets counter jungled easily against a high mobility jungler like jarvan, lee and udyr.

KJ Riot

07-29-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
Being able to do consistent damage when chasing even though your a melee.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
Little to no gank power when ult is down, late game isnt amazing an any way.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
Ill tell ya when i see one. (sarcasm)

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
everyone.

Not to helpful but literally when i think of skarner, cant think of much that makes me want to use him.

Inhibited

07-29-2013

Nooooooooooo. I find Skarner to be a deceptively strong dueler and I play him heavily in 3v3. Please don't change him.

HxZ

07-29-2013

Imo grabbing someone and having amazing ability to force fights.
When you grab someone but their flash cancels your ultimate.
His infinite slowing potential
Everyone because they either have better clear, better teamfight, or better initiation

CateBaxter

07-29-2013

Probably the most fun aspect is catching someone with his ult and watching them explode as they're pulled into your team, or punishing aggression with it and a tower.

Mana dependency. It feels almost necessary to have blue buff in the jungle in order to sustain him. His damage doesn't scale without constant use of his Q, and building him as the jungle calls for doesn't feel rewarding. His E also feels out of place within the rest of the kit. The interaction isn't enjoyable/rewarding and the stand-alone design feels poor. Lastly how easy it is for him to be kited, I have found nothing more frustrating than a skilled Lux or Vayne to deal with, and even an Udyr can simply outrun him.

Definitely the permanent slow. Skarner is easy to keep at bay, but if he does catch you he's got you for good. Skarner's design is too binary in it's success/failure, and lacks defining counterplay beyond keeping him back (which goes for any melee champion).

I don't think there's any champion that quite fills the same roll as Skarner. There are champions that definitely fulfill aspects of his role better though.

Nautilus: A jungler with a hook that can bring an enemy into a position for the team to burn. It has a greater utility from range as well as cooldown, and allows more followup by Nautilus himself in the CC that defines his kit.

Udyr: Another champion who relies on movement steroids to close with enemies. He Bear Stance is more reliable and less of a drain when it fails to bring him into range.

I'd like to wrap with a note on Skarner's kit issues, something that doesn't fully fall into the above categories. The overload of effects on his Q and W leave it hard to balance him to properly utilize either, while his E is so lacking as to go unused by players. The low cooldown, slow effect and minor AoE make it impossible to improve his mana efficiency without a return to the days of easy permaslow. The downside is the cost prevents him from being efficient in the jungle, often lacking in mana for fights.

His W faces a similar problem: movement speed buff, shield and attack speed all in one make the ability come with a high cost that feels really terrible if it fails to bring you into melee range. While the benefits of W definitely fit into it's cost, the simple fact is that if you are kited the punishment in terms of mana is severe.

Personally I feel a strong fix would be removing/altering his E in such a way as to incorporate other parts of his kit and allow the individual mana costs to go down. This can allow for a more controlled environment of mana usage to maintain a jungle route, while still seeing a similar overall cost when in a teamfight environment. It would also lead to choices in his build order, and less of a negative feeling when you fail to close.

Black Lister

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

The reason nobody played him after he was last nerfed was because the returned his Q's mana cost to the way it was originally (minus two mana) which by Morello's OWN ADMISSION was way too much and leaving him mana dry too often. On the other ahnd, 12 at all levels was also a bit too LITTLE late game, admittedly. However, I believe 12 mana initially is a good starting place.

The best part of Skarner is (was) being able to grab somebody AFTER they flashed. At the moment if I use it and they flash out of range, it breaks my ultimate and puts it on cooldown. That's no fun for me, and honestly, being able to grab people when they flashed added counterplay to the spell. And lets be honest, we all know flash stagnates gameplay on its own. Why NOT have this counterplay?

His Q needs to slow better, and his W needs a slight speed increase per level.

Fracture (E) just needs to be reworked into an actually useful spell. In the game there's currently so many champions who have much better built-in sustain, so either the heal amount needs increased, or the CD and mana cost of it needs to be reduced.

chrisluissanc1

07-29-2013

And there goes my ap skarner build built completely about his sustain with e. don't remove that heal i needs it :c

Mediocre Top

07-29-2013

I feel as if you removing his AS from W and putting it onto his E and scrapping the heal screw up Skarner Top.

If you keep the AS on his shield, you could possibly lower the AS% but make it a consistent effect, even if the shield is popped.

The E heal is also a very nice part of Skarner to me. It heals for a good amount when fighting someone in a 1v1 fight. They don't really expect you to heal off 1 AA and the Shield + AS just makes him a very fun laner to play as and really smart to counter if you bait out the E or W. Personally, maybe decrease the heal but up the damage so it doesn't feel like "hey this here. that's it".

I used to play Skarner a lot but I still don't feel like he's entirely outclassed. If you could just change his mana costs and maybe help a few abilities feel like they have more OOMPH he could be a top tier jungler IMO.