Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rav of void

07-29-2013

I love Skarner and find him HIGHLY underrated. With Spirit of the Lizard Elder, he's great. I think they need to adjust some of his mana issues, considering without Blue, he can't spam like he's supposed to.

But maybe a new skin might bring him to light like they did with Udyr.

EnderForHegemon

07-29-2013

Hey friend, thanks for taking inspiration from Xelnath's xerath thread, It's wonderful how often these are now popping up.

Foztog

07-29-2013

I play Skarner pretty regularly and I don't think he needs THAT much. Just fix his obscene mana costs and do something with his E.

Make his E play into his other abilities. Like if an opponent is affected by E, his Q would do more damage, his W speed boost would increase if he's running towards that enemy, and the range on his R is slightly increased. Obviously CD on it would be readjusted accordingly.

E in his current state is just extremely sub-par. Probably the most sub-par single skill in the game.

The FireWater

07-29-2013

I always liked Skarner, but I'm a casual player and frankly the few times I play I pick chars I like a bit more than him. But he's still fun and I don't think he needs much change (or rather, I can't offer any big advice on how to tweak him) But on to the meat of the issue:

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
Mobility and slow. Melee aoe Ashe with built in aoe Frozen Mallet. He get's auto tanky with his W, and he's devestating with some attack speed and a Sheen. He just sticks to people like glue. Makes a great "Dive the carry" champ, and has an undeniably fun ult.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
His E is pretty much worthless as jungle. I don't level it at all until I have to.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
Nothing broken really. He sticks to you like glue and is impossible to escape from... it's sorta his thing.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
No one quite does Skarner's 'thing' better than he does. But there are tankier champs, higher damage champs, champs with stronger crowd control. Skarner's ult is unique for it's combined surpress and drag, but frankly a blitz hook and knockup can do equal devestation. Skarner's aoe slow makes him impossible to ignore as he charges in.

Kulas02

07-29-2013

Here is my .02c

Skarner's Q is perfect where it is IMO. This "permaslow" as it is called is a great tool for early ganks. If moved to every other Q, it will drastically tunnel skarner into one playstyle, which is farm until 6 and only gank when his ulti is up. This will keep skarner under-picked as he won't bring a whole lot of CC to his ganks besides his ulti when he gets it. Again, this will hurt his early game, and there are much better late game champs to pick from skarner. If anything, potentially increase the cooldown of Skarner's Q so that you have to make sure your positioning is exceptional to keep the perma slow enabled.

His W nerf a while ago wasn't that harsh. Yes the CD is longer, but I like the skill where it is. I'd say leave it.

His E is very underwhelming. The proposed change is fine, but I think a potential increase to damage E does would make people consider leveling it earlier. As of now for my skarner jungle, I don't even bother putting a point into E until lvl 13, just because I do not consider it a very strong part of his kit. His W allows him enough survivability in the jungle that the heal is not needed, and the damage output from it is minimal. If removing the idea of a heal completely, perhaps make his E become a dot/single target nuke that when consumed, increases skarner's attack speed or further reduces his cooldowns, since that is what his passive and kit is built around (CDR).

His ult is great where it is. The change made to it a while ago allows people to avoid a skill that could dramatically change a fight, therefore skill > ezmode.

I love Skarner, he was my favorite champion in season 1 and 2, and I still try to bring him out in season 3, however it seems people have forgotten how to play with him (OMG WTF NO EARLY GAME PRESSURE? GG OUR JUNGLE SUX) - and there are so many better jungle options that scale just as well. Nothing gives more pleasure then a beautiful flash+ult combo though

Heres to bringing him back, AND bringing the battlecast Skarner skin!!! ( I KNOW IT'S COMING RIOT PLS!)

Nybass

07-29-2013

-pulling enemy carry into the team, especially flash pulls
-being able to spam your skills as you auto-attack faster
-the ability to tank a lot of damage when auto-attacking

-when someone gets out of range of your ult mid-cast, especially when you burnt flash in order to close the gap. This is even more frustrating than enemy buying QSS to counter Skarner ult
-blue reliant early game, even mid game. So many times he ooms
-CC pre-6 is meh at best because of the need to 'charge up' his Q slow

-dunno, no one picks him anymore

-Hecarim prenerf was the reason why I didn't play Skarner, because Hec was much less mana/blue reliant before. Now they're more on even footing, but Skarner is still more blue reliant

-Now? Voli's rolling thunder is pretty much his W --> R combo all into one, and Voli doesn't have Skarner's weaknesses

-other Skarner former mains I know of say that Udyr is such a better choice, since his stun doesn't need to be 'charged' and Skarner is reliant on hitting 6 in order to have a good gank

gitykinz

07-29-2013

Flash ulting the enemy carries, and rocketing around the map

Shield sucks, and MS boost/AS boost are lost on shield break. Minimal AD scaling, and ratios like an AP champion. Clear time has alos been hit pretty heavily, after S3 jungle changes.

None. I think he is scary with his ult up, and the slow is significant, but proper play against Skarner renders him almost uselss.

Vi, Voli, Udyr even

Rouja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

If the stars align he has a very strong initiate...

Skarner only has 1 ranged ability, but it is also essentially a useless ability in most situations(E). It has only one use and that is to proc his heal which is very weak for an all in tank which he is he also has to stop to cast it. While Skarner does have a speed buff with his W, he is very easy to kite. It is much more difficult to get in range for a initate then other champions unless he blows flash, which then chances are he has to much of a lead on his team for them to follow up in time.

If Skarner can get his ult on you, and his team can follow up, it guarantees a kill (Unless they have QSS)

Udyr is overall a much better champion. He has a faster jungle clear, more damage in team fights (Phoenix), can absorb more damage(turtle), and a short stun CD (Bear).

Yelling Guy

07-29-2013

An option for Skarner Q: Give it the Statikk treatment. Requires an amount of 'charges' of some sort in order to proc slow. Link it to crystal-y, scorpion-y things.

Aurokh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

Skarner is just too easily kited, to grab someone I have to run all the way up to them, and with so many AD carries with escape utilities most of the time you end up getting poked and not even getting the grab. A short range dash forward on his ult would be useful. It would effectively extend the range of his ult, but would act as a gap closer, bringing him to the max range that his ult currently requires.