Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BeardRex

07-29-2013

What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

The most fun aspect of Skarner is grabbing someone who oversteps, or facechecks a brush. Also, following up with your speed abilities and items is also fun. Skarner was the original ambusher.

What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

He is easily kited. His shield is weak. His sustain is weak.

What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?

I don't know. If I see a skarner in a game it's usually because I'm playing him.

Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?

Volibear. Volibear may only have a fling, but he's so beefy and fast it makes up for it. his fling is of course on a shorter cooldown too. Also, voli's fling overrides so many actions if they happen simultaneously. Skarner's Impale seems to be broken by anything.

What do I think should happen?

Option 1 - Keeping him as similar as possible:
His shield should be huge. And if it breaks, it goes on a longer cooldown. If it doesn't break, it goes on a shorter one.

Shorten the cooldown on impale and slightly increase the range.

Allow allies to heal some amount from Fracture.

Option 2- A more extensive ability changes:

W:
Skarner burrows to target location and pops out with his shield on, gaining a speed boost while the shield is not broken.

E:
Increase range. Marks and slows targets. When skarner hits a marked target he gains health. Marks last longer than they do now.

R:
Grabs a target like it does now. Range is increased when attempting to grab enemies marked by E.

CynicalGiant

07-29-2013

Have you thought about making Skarner's E instantly cast in a line directly in front of Skarner so it doesn't slow him down? You can make the shot itself thicker and more awesome looking so it feels better.

Milofo

Recruiter

07-29-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

-Slowing the enemies all day everyday.
-Being able to flash ult the enemy carry as an offering to gods of awesome ganks.
-Can gank targets effectively at lv2.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

-Having to be super close range to do anything, so you're easily kited.
-Ult an enemy only to have ult canceled because they walked inside a bush. Animation starts but fails once they enter bushes. Applies to use of flash as well.
-Useless E ability. Has no real use in fights and only makes you waste mana you could be using on your q.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?

Currently, none. Season 2 his speed on W worked really well in chasing down enemies and his ult worked well in making a losing game turn into a win. Nowadays his W feels slow to me, high cooldown keeps him from being able to properly chase targets, and everyone with a flash or conveniently placed bush can get away from his ult. Nothing really scares me that much about Skarner right now really.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?

-Vi. She has gap closer with cc as well as ult gap closer that works almost like a Skarner ult 2.0. High damage, high mobility, and an ult that can't be flashed out of make her better.
-Jarvan IV. He can pop up multiple enemies with E+Q combo and then close the gap more with ult. Ult also fills the role Skarner ult does in keeping enemies from running away form your team. Ult does have weaknesses, but can effect more than one target.

I could go on about other champs that now have better chasing ability than Skarner, but I feel like champs that do Skarner's role are those that try to separate target champs from the rest of the enemy team.

Z3RGLING

07-29-2013

I approve, Thanks Scruffy

Bocelot

07-29-2013

Most fun: when the kit works, and you speed into their team and grab their carry out and pull him into yours.
What is unfun: his kit does not work. His gap closer is terrible. He ABSOLUTELY NEEDS flash if he wants any hope of landing his ult on the enemy carry against a decent team. Otherwise his gap closer is completely negated by enemy slows and cc and he will never reach his target. If he itemizes move speed boosters like shurel then he won't be that tanky.
Champs that do tanky CC better? Any of them: sej zac rammus shen maoki and the list goes on.
Champs that lock down or catch a single target more reliably: vi and elise in my opinion. And neither of those champions is completely reliant on teammates for help with this making them a lot more fun to play and a lot more versatile.

Also his damage doesn't scale into the midgame or beyond whatsover. This is what makes him not fun to play in normal games. You can do damage up until level 8 and then all the damage you do will be outhealed by any bit of sustain that your target has. You are completely reliant on your team. Even if you can fit frozen fist into your build, your damage will still be laughable. It should scale in same that sej's or shen's or zac's abilities do; either % or scaling with your health.
It probably needn't even be mentioned that his E is utterly worthless, mana inefficient and a sink to put points into.

Hueymcduck

07-29-2013

His jungle clear is pretty fast, and I love spamming q on someone i'm chasing, they never get away with red.

I really think the reason I don't play him anymore is the nerf to flash ulting. I don't understand why the core of the champion is countered by basically any gap closer/flash while Singed and Volibear can both fling targets backwards even if they flash, and they aren't even ults. If you nerfed those, I think skarner would be more useful compared to other tanks, but still not picked that often.

When a skarner has red and gets that first q slow off, I know i'm pretty much dead without summoners.

Volibear, in my opinion, basically IS skarner. He has a move speed steroid that's MUCH faster than skarner's, which actually makes ghost much more viable on volibear than skarner. He has an aoe slow, good clear time, attack speed buff, the only thing Skarner has is his ult which Voli has on Q only it's a little bit worse if you want a long cc. He also has his crazy passive that heals him, whereas skarner has his e which is probably one of the worst abilities in the game. Also, like I said above, his q is MUCH more reliable than skarner's ultimate in that it can fling flashes and gap closers, and it hardly has a cooldown. He's overall a much better pick than skarner.

0xiDIzE

07-29-2013

Poor Scruffy. 65 pages to go through already.

Casa En Fuego

07-29-2013

Hecarim has the exact same playstyle as Skarner (speedboost, spam AoE ability and autos for high sustained damage). The difference is that Hecarim a) has higher burst damage b) snowballs MUCH harder and c) has a much easier time initiating fights, so there's no real reason to play Skarner when you get the exact same gameplay experience out of Hecarim, but better.

NoobshotGG

07-29-2013

Removing the perm slow from him hurts him too much, seems like a big nerf to me.

Ben Gubash

07-29-2013

Ghosting and ulting enemies into the allies or towers. And a spammable q.
Early game issues of sustain.
Having no way of escaping his ult unless you keep your distance.
Singed Does a better job as a bruiser, And volli aswell. Mainly due to how they dont have to stay point blank to sustain a lane well all game.