Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shahamut

01-25-2014

YAY! I got a beta invite! Now I can actually play and give feedback that matters! Thanks!

kosmosfreak

01-25-2014

Honestly I kind of like skarner as he is, nobody knows "at least in my terrible elo bracket" how to handle him, and I tend to get perfect games with him half the time, and when I don't I tend to only die like three times with anywhere from 7-13 kills.

When he's geared the way I play him he just doesn't die, he can go into any team fight and just engage unlike any other champ atm.

The biggest problem with him is if you don't have your ult up you're pretty much useless, I tend to build Iceborne gauntlet just because it increases his ability to stick and once he's on you you can't out pace him.

I'm actually concerned with all the buffs that he's getting that he's going to be op and fotm because atm I actually do pretty well with him.

Shahamut

01-25-2014

Have played my first few PBE games with him...

Honestly, his sticking power is bad... REAL bad... Once you get an Iceborn Gauntlet, your fine.

The BIGGEST problems I have so far are the speed on his W and the AS on his Q.

(of course there are the mana issues, but that goes without saying)

The need to stack his AS buff with the decreased start up speed makes it incredibly frustrating. Its not that easy to keep your buff, especially when you have to chase. Any kind of CC not only ruins your ability to stick to your target (not that it was really there anyway) but it also kills your AS buff.

Turrets are indeed frustrating, since you have to have minions around (who are trying to kill you and your minions, ya know, the ones keeping the tower aggro off of you) and you have to retreat when a champ shows up, cuz you will lose your attack speed buff or aggro tower once they are there. (lose lose situation).

The ramp up speed is terrible. I don't know what else to say. The extra tiny bit of shield is nice while in a melee slug fest, but does not create ANY kind of sustain unless I also build some AP, which then hurts my overall tankiness. Meaning I die a lot faster.

This needs to be rethought. I will continue testing, however right now it seems that the only way to play him is to rush IBG as soon as possible. Without it, you won't get kills... ever... The slow doesn't last long enough to make you stick. And the ramp up speed makes sure you get there just in time for it to run out as they run away.

Why Troll Bro

01-25-2014

I don't understand why you guys only care about remaking a single champion.

Let's say you manage to fix the champion. Then what?

The game is hardly playable. Trolls every game. Unfair match queue. Terrible rune system. Too many champs in the game.

No matter how much you invest into the game, you get nothing out of it except terrible matches and a complete waste of time.

I love how everyone here deludes themselves into thinking that they are doing something important and of value.

encyclopedea

01-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahamut View Post
YAY! I got a beta invite! Now I can actually play and give feedback that matters! Thanks!

Lol, hate to break it to ya, buddy, but feedback on Skarner doesn't really matter. Scruffy doesn't respond to anyone, and the last time the entire testing community complained about something being underpowered on Skarner, he nerfed that (everyone complained that Skarner went oom too quickly, so of course Scruffy did the "natural" thing and INCREASED his mana costs).

WilSummonForFood

01-26-2014

to bring into reality how much damage he deals.. by the end of a 55+ minute game with an iceborne gauntlet, spirit visage, sunfire cape, merc treads, and greater lens trinket i dealt 143k damage. runes: flat armor yellows, flat health quints, AS reds, flat mr blues.
masteries: 0/18/12....
i recieved 42k damage in this match and my end score was 9/8/6, i had 14k gold

now let us compare that with a 55+ minute eve game i had recently (jungle eve) with a DFG, haunting guise, merc treads, tear of the goddess, rylais crystal scepter, and spirit of the spectral wraith, w/ a greater totem trinket. i dealt a total of 113k damage. Runes: same as above
masteries:21/9/0
i recieved 28k damage, and my end score was 5/2/10. I had 13.1k gold

in both games i participated in 15 total kills. In my skarner game i had a 900 gold lead versus my eve game but i still did more damage. both champions have a spammable Q and a team changing ultimate, a movespeed buff and an AS buff. While they are both completely different in playstyle they were both used in the same role. jungle. out of all my games these two games were the closest comparisons i could get.

Alright so you were saying that you dealt 113k to 141k on a typical 55 plus minute game. If I play a game as Zac I deal about 181k damage in just a 40min game without a full build rocking 9/21/0 masteries. Now if I went to a 55k game with a full build I could easily top 200k damage. Which overshadows Skarners damage to the point of it being laughable. I went 6/6/20 that game. So by show a jungler like Zac who can not only pick up assists on the whole enemy team but also so major splash damage with a large amount of cc it shows that skarner doesn't compare.

Next point lets go to a sejuani game I played same masteries and ruins. Full build I did 220k damage in a 55+ game. Almost double that of skarners. Finished with 8/4/22. Very large different. I will make sure to write on your tombstone yolo#jungled/skarner/vs./Sejuani#

Torothin

01-26-2014

I have been playing Skarner for a couple games now. The guy seems lack luster. What the hell is his E used for?

Shahamut

01-26-2014

personally, I use his E as a random finisher. If they just get away with a scrap of health, that 1 point in E is usually enough to catch them. :P

Capitan Rick

01-26-2014

But when is the release!!!!! i want i want, skarner was one of my first champs, i want to see the triumphant return.

L00dky

01-26-2014

I know no one has touched this thread in forever, but I really don't think Skarner's changes really benefit him at all, and for me takes away from what I liked the most about him. I know this is probably won't change anything, but just my thoughts on all of this as a has-been Skarner player.

Having that ability to slow someone with a low CD spell and constantly apply slow was one of the reasons I played him so much. I still had trouble with being kited, but I liked having the slow on a skill that I don't have to stop moving to cast.

His ult is amazing in its own right, but taking away the slow from Q and putting it on Fracture makes it seem like his ult is the only redeeming quality he has now.

I like the attack speed stacks on the Q and it really highlights the extended dueling power his Q has right now, but I feel like taking the slow away only makes it harder for him to keep on targets, thus making the attack speed buff feel weak since you can't keep up to use it effeciently. Fracture having the slow really doesn't solve this problem any better then when Crystal Slash had it, so it only aggravates the problem, and does a very poor job at trying to make up for it.

Also, the heal on Fracture, while being minor, was still a heal, and it becomes apparent how it helps him when used repeated times and on multiple enemies, like the way it was designed. I've relied on using that heal in addition to potions and innate regen to keep me topped up in lane.

I like playing champs mostly because I find them fun to use and the current iteration of Skarner's Kit right now on PBE really takes away from what I found fun on Skarner. Overall, he still has one of my favorite ultimates in the League, but I just feel like his extended power or his ability to keep people near him in a fight is drastically reduced by moving his slow to a long CD spell that is very similar to Aatrox's E, which also has a more effective slow than Fracture.

I really enjoy the fact you are willing to work on Skarner however so I don't want to sound like I am completely bashing this rework. I just had a few nitpicks and this is probably the place to put them.

Also I understand that the permanent slow effect that his Q has is extremely frustrating to deal with, but its also frustrating dealing with Syndra's insane level 6 burst, Zac's passive, Teemo's mushrooms, and Annie's amazing stuns. I'm sure there are more things I could list that are very punishing if you happen to be in the line of fire, but there are ways to go around these things or items to build to mitigate their effectiveness. There is always counter play to these things of some sort, and Skarner's Q is no different. Just saying its aggravating when you underestimate the effectiveness of Skarner's slow isn't an extremely viable reason to remove it from his kit, which in my opinion, makes him weaker.

Regardless of all of this, I still look forward to seeing how Skarner is changed in the future and how his live client kit will feel to play when his rework finally does hit the servers.