Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skorpii1

12-12-2013

Oh god, don't let Skarner's Q no longer slows, that's forcing him to build Iceborn Gauntlet to do what he's supposed to be good at.
This is what I think the change for his Q and E should be,
Crystal Slash - Skarner lashes his claws, doing damage. Consecutive Q's increase his AS and slows the target, stacking up to three times.
Fracture - Skarner shoots a blast that leaves a mark, when triggered, heals him and grants him a movement speed buff, up to a cap. If he consumes a mark after the cap has been filled, it refreshes the duration.

Alternatively,
Crystal Slash - The same as the Skarner currently.
Fracture - The same as above except it grants AS instead of MS.

GeneralYorr

12-13-2013

Why was the Skarner remake not in the patch notes when it was in the patch? O.o

Sightless66

12-14-2013

What exactly is the story with the rework being taken off of the PBE? It apparently isn't on there anymore. I was hoping to get more testing time with it (particularly with the spirit stone changes).

MagikShot

12-14-2013

RiotScruffy please do not remove his Q permaslow. Skarner is in a sorry state, aye, but his major problem is his unreliable ult. People can now break free by literally just walking away in the first 0.2s. I'm sure you guys can make it so that it doesnt catch people after flash nor gets canceled.

I was thinking, what about making his E give some sort of buff, maybe to his shield or like Nocs Q? Maybe even both?

Passively grants more MS and Shield value to his W and actively increases his ms if he walks thru the trail it leaves. It would take out the need of shurelyas (talisman now)

encyclopedea

12-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightless66 View Post
What exactly is the story with the rework being taken off of the PBE? It apparently isn't on there anymore. I was hoping to get more testing time with it (particularly with the spirit stone changes).

I'm hoping RiotScruffy finally came to his senses and canceled this idiocy.

mrbleh

12-14-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

Being able to rush in with the move speed from the shield and grab the closest squishy then pull them back in to your team for an insta-gibbing good time.
There aren't a lot of junglers I take flash on, but Skarner is one of them, it doesn't get much better than flashing over dragon den, ulting the enemy jungler and smiting dragon right in front of them while they're suppressed. Pop W and get away clean.
I love the slow on his Q, especially when coupled with a phage or tri-force.
• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
His reliance on blue buff early game, though with his current kit it's unavoidable due to the spammability of his Q. If Skarner doesn't get blue buff he's as good as screwed for the next 5 minutes and then some.
I think the biggest problem I face while playing Skarner is the fact that he's sort of a niche champion. He's not a Blitzcrank/Thresh/Nautilus that can hook and pull, he has to initiate and drag the enemy back with him and unless you can get in there and grab that high priority target AND survive, no one wants to go in and you end up dying "gg bad skarner. gg feeder jungle. bad jungle omg.". It's probably just a Silver thing though.
• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
The speed, he comes in like race car then hits like a Mac truck and unless you can kite him you're likely to go down. He's downright deadly.
• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
The only champ that I think can contend with the work that Skarner does is Nautilus because his shield is stronger, he has the long range hook coupled with the passive snare, his ult is longer range and knocks up all enemies caught in the path and his slow has a wider range. The only thing that Skarner has on Nautilus is that Skarner is a MUCH faster jungler.

TLDR; I love Skarner and I have faith that Riot will make him more viable in the new season <3

Sightless66

12-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by encyclopedea View Post
I'm hoping RiotScruffy finally came to his senses and canceled this idiocy.
After a few games, the changes actually started to feel pretty good to me (although there were a few problems I can bring up). Skarner's early ganking got only slightly more reliable due to the increased movement speed on the shield, but his dueling power went through the roof with the permanent steroid. It was easier to win counterganks or counterjungle against good duelists. His late game (with a spirit item, triforce and 2 tanky items) also felt really good. The increased movement speed was great, and the ranged slow is almost as good as permaslow in the late game. Additionally, when they first tested out the spirit item changes (which didn't make it into the latest live patch), Skarner felt really good because he could sustain both his health and mana almost indefinitely in the jungle with only a spirit stone. When the new Skarner was winning, he felt pretty great.

However, there is a reason why I am still slightly concerned, and that is because I didn't get to play any games on the PBE where I was behind. All of the games I played, I got ahead very quickly. This concerns me because I'm not sure how well Skarner will do when he's behind. He feels very hungry for levels because all of his skills have something he needs (damage on Q, speed on W, slow on E). If he ends up behind in levels, I'm not sure how well he'll be able to deal with enemies. Another thing that makes me worried about that is the fact that his steroid has the 100% uptime now instead of the slow. On live, a Skarner that gets behind can build pure tank and become a slow bot, and even though their steroid would be instantly popped, they'd still be able to do their job. Now, you'll do more damage and be slightly tankier when behind due to the steroid, but you won't have as much cc, and I'm not sure that tradeoff is worth it. If I could suggest something, I'd try buffing the slow slightly on the reworked kit.

Shadotopaz

12-14-2013

I have no idea if this thread is still being monitored! But according to your original release data, you wanted skarner to be this predator that once he latches on you, he would be a terror to escape

Pulling out the slow on his Q would simply pull away this fact. This is by far the most fearsome aspect of his pack and taking it away would be taking away what you said. It is the most fearful item of his kit. What should be reworked, is his E

I had this idea that instead of being an AOE projectile, it should simply be a skillshot. If it hits a target, Skarner gains a passive movement speed whenever he moves in the direction his target is. Kind of like Vayne. Additionally, every hit against this target heals Skarner for a small portion of his max HP, making sure that the Aspd/Tanky build that was designed for him stays viable.

To counterbalance this, maybe a twitch to the ult. Using it on a non-marked target will root him and skarner in place. But using it on a marked target allows for the free movement of the target.

This way, his E becomes an integral part of his kit, gives him a nice speed boost even when his shield is down and still has him as this terror that he is.

I miss his kind.

Shahamut

12-14-2013

You know what would be nice? If his Q's initial damage gained 80% of his AD rather than "BONUS" AD...

Ager Agemo

12-15-2013

you know what would be nice, since the rework got pulled that we at least get further updates or changes, it it just gets commited once again like this, then this will be annoying.

Idea, why not add a passive to his W?

Increase movement Speed by +(AP*0.30).
so as you build it up, it moves faster and faster, without the need of the shield to be up, this way it becomes more of a predator and the Slow in the E Works like the grace hit to catch up wtih targets.