Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellpyre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2013

I miss the perma-slow, since it was one of the things that defined Skarner for me, but at least I can see a reason to want to get rid of it. But why nerf his attack speed across the board when it is one of the most important stats Skarner can get?

Gooner1990

08-22-2013

I'm quite disappointed you took away the heal, and remove the possibility of top lane Skarner. I understand that you want attack speed to be part of his kit, but it's not actually a toolkit Skarner players have every relied upon. His W has always been for the shield/mobility.

What makes attack speed more desirable than sustain? Sustain is key to top lane Skarner, but I don't know anyone who build Skarner around attackspeed, at higher level. I think you need to forget about trying to fit attack speed into his kit.

Personally, I would remove attack speed ramp up on his Q. Instead, give his Q a ramp up heal, increasing with number of units it proc off. I think this will give him greater dueling power, which has always been his strength, take away almost nothing in terms of original gameplay, solve the lack-of-interaction problem with sustain Skarner (who's entire gameplay revolved around spamming E, and keeping he distance,) and allowing for the possibility of a top lane Skarner.

FarSideX

08-22-2013

I for one am going to sorely miss Skarner. I bought both his skins and would have bought more if there were any more.
I like to build him with a ton of AS, max when I can so adding AS to his Q is like throwing an ability away in the late game where he needed it. Sure it helps his early game but I had no problem with early game Skarner.
All Skarner needed was either some sustain, heal from E was/is a joke, or MS on his Ult. This could have been done by decreasing the range of E and adding more heal to it, or reducing the range of E and adding MS to his R.
This idea that champs need new kits benefits who? Riot makes little to no profit from it, fans of the champ get pissed off. Take these new kit ideas and make new champs, makes more profit for Riot and keeps the players demanding new champs happy. They could even reuse the model and just give it a new texture (skin) and name, then sell it as a new champ.

Cuxman

08-22-2013

It would be nice if you would answer to one of the people who do not think that this is helpful for Skarner.

Itís ok that you think perma slow is toxic and needs to be erased, even if I donít think so.
(You can counter it and there are much worse skills that can only get countered by stuns.)

But why do you think a champion with so low pick and win rate needs a nerf?

His new speed is weaker than it is now if you need to get an enemy who is out of position, and he will surly not stay there for 1 second till you get some speed.

His new Atk speed is much weaker than it is now, you cant push down towers and in a team fight its all over till you have even halve of the Atk speed you have now.

And worst of it all, you took a 2 skill kit and spread it on 3 skills, so now we always have only a level 1 slow or shield. That is already a hard nerf and donít say he catches up later cause now he has a heal later that is gone for 30 points in the shield.

I think itís just a huge nerf and all the little buffs donít cover 30% of the things you take from Skarner. And the slow change is just a step away from a unique champion to the guy with generic slow nr. 3.

Vdragoon

08-22-2013

I have to say this re-work is very interesting and may get me to buy him. I also wanted to comment how this thread is so much different from the Rengar thread. There is more interaction with clear directions of where you wanted to go with him and keep his power intact. Rengar re-work is ugh.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

08-22-2013
26 of 35 Riot Posts

I see some comments about how moving the attack speed from W to Q is a nerf. From what we have seen (and what we intended) this is a buff to his consistency and a slight buff in overall stats.

The old W gave 30/35/40/45/50% while his shield was up (0-6s).

The new Q gives 4/5/6/7/8% per stack up to 12/15/18/21/24% max.

There are a few reasons why the attack speed on Q has been more consistent and powerful for Skarner.

-Skarner players level Q before W typically, gaining the attack speed earlier in the game. This is also great for his jungle clear times, and early lane dominance (if he's laning).

-The attack speed buff is no longer reliant on his shield. In late game fights or duels, Skarner's shield was only up for ~3s. 24% attack speed all the time is stronger than 50% attack speed for 3s out of every 18s.

I'm glad you all are holding these changes to a high standard. I too want to see Skarner back into common play.

Mimiron

08-22-2013

The idiocy of "tru Skarner fans" on this thread is saddening. Scruffy already answered of course but constant attack speed is better than hardly any attack speed.

Riot clearly knows more about champion balance than you guys, Scruffy loves Skarner, he's not going to do all this work to nerf a champion.

Lane Skarner is like lane Hecarim. It's fun in normals. You're not going to climb the ranked ladder very far with it though. You can still play lane Skarner, but: Stop asking them to balance a champion around something you guys do for sh*ts and giggles.

As Skarner is literally my favorite jungler in the game and Earthrune is my favorite skin in the game, I'm extremely excited for the changes. I really want to be able to play Skarner in ranked without feeling like I'm gimping myself. I feel that this is going in the right direction, I'm very excited about his Q, although I feel his E should be considered for maybe a 2 second CD reduction to keep his ganks strong enough to matter pre-six.

Allidon

08-22-2013

Is the cooldown on fracture still 10 seconds?

hartar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I see some comments about how moving the attack speed from W to Q is a nerf. From what we have seen (and what we intended) this is a buff to his consistency and a slight buff in overall stats.

The old W gave 30/35/40/45/50% while his shield was up (0-6s).

The new Q gives 4/5/6/7/8% per stack up to 12/15/18/21/24% max.

There are a few reasons why the attack speed on Q has been more consistent and powerful for Skarner.

-Skarner players level Q before W typically, gaining the attack speed earlier in the game. This is also great for his jungle clear times, and early lane dominance (if he's laning).

-The attack speed buff is no longer reliant on his shield. In late game fights or duels, Skarner's shield was only up for ~3s. 24% attack speed all the time is stronger than 50% attack speed for 3s out of every 18s.

I'm glad you all are holding these changes to a high standard. I too want to see Skarner back into common play.
Hey Scruffy,do you know when the new skarner will hit PBE?

Cuxman

08-22-2013

Just ignore all the reasons why this is a nerfÖÖ.

In ganks and in a teamfight you need your speed instant and the time you need to get some atk speed is just too long,
so what dos this new Skarner bring into a teamfight where he has no more spam able slow, is weaker in instant grabbing enemies who are out of position and has lower dps if the fight is not going to let him attack for 20 seconds?