Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Space Dandy

07-29-2013

The most frustrating part of playing Skarner? Having someone Flash/Blink/Jump/Dash out of your ult in that split second where the spell starts but the tether hasn't connected. Before the "bug fix" with his ult a while ago, he would still pull his target back if they tried to use an escape in this time. Given the fact that Skarner is a non-gap-closing melee champion, it hit him hard. That his target can just escape him if he even manages to get to him, while putting arguably the most fun/rewarding part of playing the champion on cool down seems really counter intuitive to me. If it were up to me, I would make it instant so there is not even a chance to use an escape during the "channel" (not sure if it is actually a channel). I think this would at least help bring back Skarner's pull (pun intended), while also eliminating the chance for enemies to waste escapes only to be pulled back as was the frustration with him before the "bug fix." I really enjoy the rest of his kit (although fracture can be sort of underwhelming to which I would suggest the addition of a debuff of some sort and the removal of the heal), and I think the current state of his ult is the real problem.

Killogical

07-29-2013

My general opinions on skarner, as I played a ton of jungle skarner in S2.

Q: His Q was amazing for jungle clear, and frankly it still is.
W: Great for setting up ult ganks, also handy for scurrying around the jungle.
E: Absolutely useless. Considering mana costs per damage/heal it is a complete joke.
R: His ult has always been a strong addition to a teamfight, but the "slight cast time" addition did gimp it a little bit.

Argick

07-29-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

Being about grab an enemy into your team or being able to peel for your carry.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

When going in for your ultimate only for it to cancel because they've just got out of range at the last possible second leaving you to die 90% of the time. And a lackluster E skill.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?

Being the unlucky person caught by his ultimate

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?

Any of the burst junglers with multiple gap closers such as Xin/Vi/Jarv as they have the damage and more CC.

Any of the tanky junglers are able to provide more peeling power outside of their ultimate.

MalikCaesar777

07-29-2013

Most fun aspect: the chase, skarner comes out of the brush and people run for dear lives at the thought of being impaled

Most frustrating: he has a useless ability that doesn't help him in clearing or in ganking. It is just there

Most frustrating thing playing against skarner: I imagine it would be getting impaled but I can't remember the last time I saw a skarner

J4 isolates people better

No one can really bring people into your team as well as skarner does.
But J4s ult can accomplish a similar goal of isolating an important enemy and is on a shorter cooldown

With how mobility oriented the game seems to have become it is a lot harder for skarner to chase someone down. It has become to easy to get away from him.

Skarner does not have the utility of other junglers as well so if he gets behind you are nothing more than a meat shield.

bvcxzm

07-29-2013

- Being able to rush into a fight and grab a high priority target and remove them from the fight

-His Ganks (if playing the jungle) are relatively weak pre-6 unless you take exhaust.

-His ultimate can be annoying but would destroy the champion if changed. Skarner's ultimate may seem annoying but there are more annoying ultimates to worry about.

-With the current playstyle of junglers ganking almost immediately after lvl 3, skarner falls behind because he has little CC prior to level 6 whereas Jarvan IV and Elise have knockups and stuns at that level to secure kills.

I like skarner the way he is, and the only thing i can see being changed is a slight buff to his early game gank potential.

P.S. When do we get this????

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sC9Pb.jpg (158.8 KB, 28 views)

Jesot

07-29-2013

I haven't played Skarner since pre-season. A lot of people say his ult, but I always had the most fun just dueling/chasing people with Q & W. I liked ganking pre-6 with Skarner. I liked his item path of Philo, GS, Sheen, Merc Treads.

E sounds cool and useful, but is worthless. W as a gap closer is terrible compared to newer champs with real gap closers. You shouldn't have to rely on a summoner spell as part of your kit. Also, if you're jungling and lose your blue, you're ****ed. If you're playing top lane, you must be stupid because he's outclassed up there by just about everyone.

Nothing now. Getting ulted can suck, but he's easily kited and burned down if he has to dive into your team and his ult isn't really as reliable as it should be.

Pretty much every other tanky jungler with a gap closer and CC. Sej, Amumu, J4, Vi, Zac, Naut...

As was suggested earlier in this thread, change his E to a burrow (maybe add a knock-up and splash damage at the end of it?) to help his ability to close gaps and bring him more in-line with other champs.

Vsin

07-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
This is crazy how much good feedback you guys have lol. I can barely keep up with the thread. I'm seeing a few things popping up in almost every post.

-Skarner's ult is AWESOME (jawesome?) and it is his defining ability
-Skarner is very mana dependent and without blue he suffers
-Skarner is very easily kited
-Getting permaslowed by Skarner is frustrating
-Skarner's E ability (Fracture) doesn't feel useful/can be somewhat clunky to use
-Other junglers (zac/j4/voli etc) are more reliable in ganking and teamfights

Am I missing anything?
Mine isn't recurring, but I'll say it again out of arrogance: his Ult has very little synergy with the rest of his kit. See Page 15 for a more detailed argument.

Hellioning

07-29-2013

Vi's ult is better then Skarner's in almost every way. Her ult has longer range, cannot be QSS'd, might effect more then one person, etc.

Skarner has a longer shut down time, but that basically requires a flash to get to anyone that would be useful if they were suppressed and stunned. In a teamfight scenario, if he doesn't have flash down, he has to try to run towards the ADC, and good luck with that. Vi, meanwhile, can cause her disruption without any problem, and if people get in her way, it causes her ult to get stronger.

In short, Skarner needs some recompense for how Vi (and several other junglers, especially Zac) have taken his defining role and improved upon it. He either needs a new niche or Zac/Vi/J4 need to be toned down so there are different reasons to pick each.

InstyleVII

07-29-2013

What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

Skarner, for me personally, is interesting because of his overall awesomeness. Let me explain. His Q is a spam-able spell that on second hit slows and does bonus damage (not to mention this + Sheen is just awesomesauce). His W gives him a decent shield and even bigger a movement speed buff, this is key for chasing/running away because it's actually a significant buff. His E is somewhat useless, I've picked off a few kills with it, but I would rather this be a solid, mid-level cooldown spell. His R is also, just like his Q and W an awesome spell, I just think it ruins it if people can escape it so easily and you can't really drag them anywhere, I think this may need a slight debuff in damage potentially but a boost in how it can ensnare people (make it unescapable but affected by Tenacity if it isn't already).

What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

Currently the issue with Skarner is he isn't enough of any one thing. His damage output, while solid early-mid game really falls off hard late game (unless you build him high-damage). The other issue is, being the initiator for team fights, he isn't tanky enough. You have to literally run into the enemy team to grab someone, and he can honestly, even when built tanky, feel pretty squishy. His E also just doesn't seem to compliment his other skills. I think if it gave some passive armor/magic resist and a decent knock-around spell (thinking Maokai's E here) it would be much better placed (with little damage coming from it).

What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?

Currently, his early-game is mega strong (high-damage on Q), and his ult can be a pain although it's easily escapable. to be honest I haven't really played against Skarner at all for most of Season 3 so I can't answer this with an appropriate answer.

Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?

I think with the role of jungle somewhat changing, yes. You have your high-damage junglers (Elise, Nocturne, Lee Sin) and you have your tanky junglers (Jarvan IV, Nautilus, Amumu, Nasus) but the hybrids this season are honestly not doing great (Shyvana and Skarner). I think it's because they have no place in the current meta. You need either tanky champs that build tanky-damage, or squishiers champs that just output high damage. These champs do neither and that's why they are failing.

Dunkmaster Jon

07-29-2013

Favorite champ was and always will be my little man Skarner, never forget him carrying me into Gold.

Your ult of course, but also his Q is always fun because of how useful it is. You can use it to peel off your adc, or to keep an enemy locked down, if we saw a little increase on the slow % I think it'd be a bit better, since with masteries and how movespeed changed in s3 it's a little lackluster now.
You only have 3 abilities. the fact that your E is practically useless is a real drag. Plus the obligatory "EZ/CAIT USED E TO GET OUT MY ULT UGH PIZZED" I don't mind people burning flash to get out my skarner ult, but when I can't gank certain ADC's just because their getaways make it impossible for me to pull them is upsetting, when WW can just press R and latch onto their face. (Albeit he doesn't pull)
Underestimating him. Also flash pulls are scary, but like thats countered by any getaway now so meh.
Vi did for a while, more damage and all, now there's Zac, J4, Sejuani. No one fills the void in my heart like this little scorpion of death though.