Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PHoToS999

07-29-2013

"What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?"

*Stacks all the MS items*
FEEL MY STING!

MKDkilla

07-29-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
I think the funnest aspects of Skarner remain in his ''Hahaha I got you locked down and you know you are going to die'' feeling in his kit, with the perma slow and everything, and his empowered Q feels really crisp to me and makes Skarner unique

AND the infamous Home guard Mobility ward W Shureliyas ghost gank, while feeling like the fastest mofo

What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
To be honest, the ult change didn't do much. It's more of, almost every single champion and their mom has an escape, flash, and botrk and being able to be kited quite easily. Also, your shield is on a suckish CD and is immediately destroyed when the shield is popped.

Also the fact that you need to get a Q off in a gank so you can make it slow, giving enemy more time to escape.

His E as well. It's one of those abilities that have absolutely 1 purpose in a kit, but they really do just suck..

What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
Probably the fact that a fed Skarner can build tanky, but also has enough gold to afford to buy highly damaging stats that are important to his early success (Wit's End, [It's not that bad anymore people] Trinity, etc.)

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
J4. Why?

-Impossible to escape from constant shield slow

-FM is usually bought or he always has red

-EQ combo

-Get dunked and stay there ultimate

I would also say Zac, because he has scaling damage, a constant Q slow, and a high range gap closing slow with a knock back and damage ult as well, while being tankier.

If I were on the balance team, I would make it so his E has a longer range, and makes it so that if Skarner has his shield up, he gains X more duration and MS on his shield for each enemy hit, capping to a certain number, or makes his shield larger, whichever. Lower Q costs, increase W cost, and I'd say he is perfectly viable.

I have over 50 Skarner games in both seasons, in silver 1

Aerothal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

Ha good! Skarner is my last champ to get! I always wanted to learn him but didnt get to it!
Looking forward to the rework!

Reedonidas

07-29-2013

Being underestimated in terms of dueling (ad/sustain)

I really think he's a great champion, it would be awesome if his auto attacks were more useful. If you compare him to similar champions, say.. Warwick? I find that his Q is just not that meaningful early, damage wise.

Talen10

07-29-2013

I'm not the most experienced Skarner player but I find him a ton of fun to play and have been doing so more often lately as people don't seem to know how to play against him. Also, I don't really think he needs that much work (just his e), I think the reason he doesn't get much play has to do with the current taste for ganky junglers, essentially the same reason champs like Udyr, Shyvana and ww aren't picked that often either (I occasionally see Udyr, rarely Shy, I do see a fair amount of ww but he faces similar problems). Those are just my impressions, others might have a different experience and the truth may be something else.

So with that out of the way here are my answers to your questions.

What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

I like his mobility, particularly with his shield up. It really gives the vibe that you are this fast bug coming right at someone or sometimes running away if they catch you in their jungle. Also his ult is really powerful. Also I like having to spam his q.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

Mana costs and the uselessness of his E spell. I never rank that until I have five points in the other two as it uses too much mana and doesn't give much in return. I find I only use it once I do get it, if I happen to have blue buff. Not having a gap closer other than the admittedly awesome speed burst hurts in this age of highly mobile champs.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?

He is so tanky! Seriously though, I haven't played against him much. I do seem to last forever in team fights, which is why I am saying tanky.

Not sure what you mean by his job. He is a tanky dude that goes in to the middle of the other team grabs a squishy and pulls them out of position. In that respect, there are none better. He is also really good at clearing the jungle. His biggest weakness in my opinion is that pre-6 he is hard to gank with as he has no cc and can be kited through his speed boost.

Kamku

07-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summoner Nick View Post
I really like the burrow Idea for a new E, controllable Vlad pool seems fun, however I feel like taking away the heal means he still need a bit of power, so give the tail that's still out of the ground the power to do a sort of weak knock-aside if it hits an enemy while he's underground :x
he did fine without the heal, giving him the burrow would probably make him so much stronger.

burrow into r? fun times though

Voidgolem

07-29-2013

Fun:

His ability to walk at people until they die with Qspam/Sheen Procs, Stymieing attempts to flee or counterattack with ult. Ulting in general.

Frustrating (As Skarner):

The way he's hard countered by not being in melee. How hard it is to GET into melee with him under conditions where you're the main tank. Slightly janky and mana-intensive kit.

Frustrating (Against Skarner):

Getting ulted. Relative impossibility to duel if melee.

Champions that do Skarner's Job Better:

Depends on what you're defining as "Skarner's Job". As a tank or initiator, Sej/Zac/Hecarim do it better (to a lesser extent: Vi), as a damage pump Shyvana or Udyr do it better.

He's still pretty competent in his own right but it's really hard to justify using him while those options exist - and I can think of no nerf-related way to change that that would leave those options viable.

Raincall

07-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draciusen View Post
Battlecast Skarner.
You know you want to.
ITT: people more worried about cosmetics than actual gameplay.

As for Skarner I think the ult should be kept. It's quite unique.

Reflectiion

07-29-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
- Getting all up in the center of the action and spamming that Q with your fast attack speed and movement speed.
- Ulting people also is very fun, his ultimate can be very rewarding, making you feel like you're contributing something.

- I find his mana issues the biggest un-fun aspect of playing him, you're encouraged to spam Q because of its low cd, yet you can't spam it for long because of its high cost.

- I don't think skarner is especially toxic or anti-fun to play against. There is definitely a degree of counterplay given that he has to get into melee range.

- His ability to perma-slow potentially the entire enemy team as well as suppress and reposition an enemy threat is unparalleled. His kit is powerful, he just needs tweaking and QoL changes and he can be just as powerful as he used to be.

BestBIitzcrankNA

07-29-2013

What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
Dragging one of the enemy members to the depths of hell... HAHAHA!!!

To start, his E is nonexistent.

Idk, I never get to play against him. I suppose getting ulted is frustrating, but you have to have some serious positioning errors to get skarner ulted.

Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Vi is essentially skarner but better. Primarily because of her ult, you can't get out of it, and it has good range. Why play skarner when you could play Vi? She can ult, the when it ends, you can Q them for a total of like 3 seconds of ownage, then pound on them with you other abilities.