@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-25-2013
89 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Sniper View Post
You need to give the toxic players a rational reason why they are over reacting, For example after a loss say, Did you know the enemy Fiora has an 80% win rate with Fiora. This is a sample of rationalizing a reason they might have lost. or a better one, "Did you know the enemy team pinged 135 more times then your team." stating they had more communication then your team.
Personalized tips is an interesting idea, but making sure it's personalized, meaningful, and relevant each time is actually decently complex.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-25-2013
90 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
Have you considered removing the lock in button in normals? Normals aren't as long in terms of championselect times as draft mode because everybody picks at the same time. It would take away one reason that people give for why they aren't playing as a team ("too late, I already locked my champion in"). They can of course feign ignorance like they always have, or realize that have no way to justify their actions.
When analyzing or assessing a feature like this, we have to take a look at the value we're adding given the costs/risks. If the majority of Champion Select lobbies have instant lock trolls who irritate and harass their own team, then a feature like this might add a really high value by removing their ability to frustrate others (though one could always argue they'd just act toxic in a different manner because we haven't solved the problem and only removed a channel the problem is vented through).

However, the data suggests that the number of lobbies that end with instant locking and the players are frustrated or pissed off about it is in the minority. Given the data, removing the lock would only arbitrarily increase the duration of Champion Select for many lobbies which I believe is too high of a cost to solve a problem that only a minority of lobbies have.

Lyte

08-25-2013
91 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geïst View Post
Lyte, I'm rather interested in this area of expertise. I'd like to know what requirements would a gaming company look for to hire someone like you? What degree field did you specialize in? Do you hold multiple degrees? If so, which ones?

Any advice is appreciated here, I see this field expanding quite a bit in the coming decades and would love to be a part of it.
Rioters on the Player Behavior team have a wide variety of backgrounds. My background was a Bachelors in Psychology, Masters in Cognitive Psychology and PhD in Neuroscience. A fellow researcher that works with the Player Behavior team often is davin, who has a PhD in Human Factors Psychology. Drevarius is an Associate Game Designer on the team and has a Masters in Rocket Science (kidding, it's Aeronautics) and RoamingNumeral is a Design Analyst on the team with a Masters in Bioinformatics.

One of the coolest parts of working on this team is that everyone contributes. It doesn't matter if you're an artist, engineer, sound engineer or UX designer--great ideas can come from everyone and we're always learning from each other everyday.

Alex3omg

08-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Hm, we're definitely interested in making Honor more visible and easier to use.
I posted before about an idea to get people to give out honour, it's not perfect but I think it would be effective.

I think that combining the honours a little (teamwork and helpful, and friendly and honourable) and letting people give "one, both, or neither" to each player on both teams would make it more fair. That way people who play premade have the same chance to gain each ribbon as everyone else. They currently DO NOT.

Then, you add the third honour- MVP. You can only give this honour to one person per team. You pick one of your team, pick one of your opponents. Whoever (of each team) gets the most votes gets an honour towards that ribbon.

Now this may not seem like the sort of thing you want for behavioral reasons but I think it would get people to 'fish' for honour at least a little, which while not being perfect behavior it's something. They'll be nice, helpful, and play their best trying to earn it. Not everyone, but some will try to be better people.

The main perk of this is that it will get people thinking of honour. You hit the post-game screen and the first thing you think is, "I hope I get voted MVP!" You go to vote for who you think should get it, and while doing that you award other honours as they are deserved.

This way honour is given out fairly to those who deserve it, and not just by the minority of players who think to give it out every time.

Also if there was some way to tag people for honour during the game that would be fantastic- it could be next to the ignore button or something.

cKumo

08-25-2013

Quote:
When analyzing or assessing a feature like this, we have to take a look at the value we're adding given the costs/risks. If the majority of Champion Select lobbies have instant lock trolls who irritate and harass their own team, then a feature like this might add a really high value by removing their ability to frustrate others (though one could always argue they'd just act toxic in a different manner because we haven't solved the problem and only removed a channel the problem is vented through).

However, the data suggests that the number of lobbies that end with instant locking and the players are frustrated or pissed off about it is in the minority. Given the data, removing the lock would only arbitrarily increase the duration of Champion Select for many lobbies which I believe is too high of a cost to solve a problem that only a minority of lobbies have.
My only issue with you saying it would lengthen the lobby time is that after I hit level 5 I have only seen a full locked-in lobby in Dominion (Which consitently has insta-locks due to it being treated as a "whatever" gametype by a majority of the community). I've been in a few 5v5 lobbies where I've seen like 6 people lock-in total, but that was still pre-30. You don't lock in, it's a common rule that's only ignored by trolls and losers who ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO PLAY THE NEW/F2P CHAMP OMFGAQZWSXECDRFVTGYBHNUIMJP!!!

Coldmanj

08-25-2013

the main thing that irks me about the current reporting system is how long it takes for a case to be formed and get to the tribunal in the first place. I would like to see reports in the ranked ques to have more weight put on them so repeat offenders see some action taken. That's just me though.

lolnameistaken

08-25-2013

Lyte, I am a Huge HUGE fan of your work, I think you do amazing things in the field of gamer psyche, As a long time league player, I'd just like to comment..that there is so little positivity in this game,I usually don't slip into the pattern of being a ****** online, But this game does seem to bring out that absolute inner Richard cranium in me. I know this is sort of a ramble..but I really wish there was something more...I dunno..light hearted? To counteract all the venom and hate I encounter in almost every game. I love the game. I like MOST of the players I play with, but man..those few that stick out best are always the negative ones.

Kagami

08-25-2013

Hi Lyte I recently sent an email to Matchmaking(at)riotgames.com about being soloq in normals and being matched against a high tier Diamond 1 player (also soloq) despite being silver previously and was wanting to make sure you were still accepting emails about oddities in matchmaking to that email address?

In the format listed in this thread: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=1827767

Phourc

08-25-2013

Quote:
Hm, we're definitely interested in making Honor more visible and easier to use.
Request: can you make it so that I can right click a player's name to honor them? Currently I have honor/report buttons on the side, but by right clicking their name I only have the option to report them. ):

lolnameistaken

08-25-2013

Hey lyte, If you are still following this. Do me a favor and look up the chat logs for the game I was just in, Use the timestamp from this post as a reference, THIS is the kinda **** that I'm seeing almost every game now.