@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ding an Sich

07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
During Christmas of 2012, we handed out special Santa Baron Summoner icons for positive players in the community. We're definitely looking forward to doing more things like that in the future.

Recently, we also sent out statues and posters signed by the player behavior team to positive members of our community. Maybe some players who got them can describe their experiences here
It was very nice^^ The only thing that annoys me is the tryndamere statue won't stop coming out of it's placings. Granted it's not like the wind blows it off, but a low end amount of force; a bonk, could do it.

Regardless thank you kindly for the statues and the posters. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Edit: Also thanks for answering my questions on reddit^^

EnderForHegemon

07-27-2013

Lyte most of the time I appreciate your work, but Having heard a few things about behavioral alerts, I'd like to share my experiance with the feature.

In some lousy games, particularly a streak of winnable games that I lost because everybody was on a different page (par for the course SoloQ) I vent about what would have happened if everybody were on MY page, which can get me justifiably reported. I know and expect that. But getting a little message telling me that it happened sets me off even more. It's definitely tilting to spend a game trying to implement a strategy, and just have the other guy report you at the end of it. It sent me into a Righteous Rant Rampage over the next two or three games, and I got behavior-warning'd at the end of those too.

I've played ~5k games without any action taken against my account and I've previously had honor ribbons, so I can't believe that I'm truly at the bottom of the barrel, but getting the message after a lousy game makes me feel that way, and self-fullfills my behavior in future games.

Kizuna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-27-2013

Lyte, concerning chat restrictions - would allowing chat restricted players to always have the right to say "mia" or "ss" with a 5 second interval gap (and eventually monitoring for spam cases beyond that to auto mute) be a decent recourse?

At least giving players who are chat restricted the ability to say crucial things in chat that don't require much but literally the info of 2-3 letters doesn't seem too much of a big deal - more good than bad, I would say.

Mayobe

07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ the II View Post
Lyte do you look like this IRL?
Attachment 742398
Dude, now I'm reading Lyte's posts in Mordin's voice.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNHHHHHHHHHHHH!

*shakefist*

AP Ezreal Mid

07-27-2013

Hey Lyte, I met you at PAX and discussed something about honor rewards with you at the event, (I was one of the guys that the one guy who gave away PAX Jax's gave a PAX Jax out to), and i was wondering if there was anything in the pipeline for rewards with different types of honor? Say I maintain a ribbon for X ammount of time, or have Y amount of that honor, I'm rewarded with a summoner icon, or a profile banner, etc...

SirCrescent

07-27-2013

how about letting us chat and plan during the loading screen? Its easier than trying to get everything out when the game starts and its boring to just sit there and watch champions load....

Mayobe

07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentGnu View Post
Edit: can someone tell me how to make this picture appear in the post without people having to click it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	17
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	742414

Click once to open the upload window, upload, then click again and select the uploaded image from the drop-down.

herpesurprise

07-27-2013

Hey what about people who end up in the tribunal due to a ton of false reports attributed to riot/Comcast lag.

I had 7 or 8 games over the course of 2 weeks (entirely random) with unplayable lag where I got spam reported and it landed me in the tribunal. I know I had a **** load of false reports for these because I got the notifications and a ban a week later. I should've never ended up there and I'm sure I'm not alone. During these laggy games I was calm and I tried and even apologized to the Raging maniacs who accused me of trolling.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this issue since the patch. Even if there's a bad game, the point is the system accounts for that. Only with a mass influx of false reports based on riot/ISP related reports, there's no way it still works as designed.

You're dealing with peoples... no customers time and money. Do you even care?

Mayobe

07-27-2013

Quote:
It all comes down to pragmatism, and what we believe will have larger impact on player behavior in League of Legends.

Adding pre/post game chat logs to Tribunal is X positive value, but the Tribunal only targets and affects the worst, most toxic players on a particular server (which is approximately 2-7% of players, depending on how you define the toxic players). However, if we analyze Champion Select, a large, large number of games have arguments or toxicity that originates from Champion Select. If we solve this particular problem, we'll see value that is easily 10X or 20X the effects of adding pre/post game chat logs to the Tribunal.
Just a warning from experience, if you use a triage system in an engineering setting you should construct a system to escalate the priority of existing items over time, or else you keep piling up low-priority, long-term QOL problems while making higher-priority changes.

Sedirex

07-27-2013

Quote:
Generally, players who are positive (or more sportsmanlike) win more games than players who are neutral or negative. Players who are neutral (or hardly talk) tend to win more games than players who are negative.

We're hoping to talk more about these specific stats in the future.
How do you define "positive" players? Do you mean to say there are people with substantially less toxicity in their games than average because they can somehow negate it? If so, can you get one to teach me how to shut flamers up?