so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS18e393942c31957958cc2

09-27-2013

I applied for Riot once during S2. They told me to get 1650 elo then respond to the email. I hit 1649 and then my computer died, fml.

Zinet

09-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
Bump for exposure.

Isn't there some kind of number you can call on their site?
From what I've noticed they don't have phone support. Just by emails and forums. "Sad face"

Konduit

09-29-2013

Riot Chezai, thanks for all your responses so far. I appreciate all the time you've put into this thread!

I've got a quick question:

Do y'all accept multiple interns in a given department (for example, can there be 2-3 Game design interns over the summer) or is it just 1 position up for grabs?

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

10-07-2013
103 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB The Doctor View Post
Chezai, you're still hovering in this thread?

I came here because I discovered the NA shoutcasting opening, and have submitted my resume/application. Not really sure if I can score any bonus points or whatever to get my name any more favor with the eSports department, and I'll just have to let my shoutcasting VODs speak for themselves. If I give you some [fluffy chocolate chip] cookies, will you put my name at the top of the stack? (totally not a bribe, and I definitely have cookies, and will definitely bring them to every live production day at the studio if I'm brought on)

I guess I'm just happy the opportunity presented itself. New NA shoutcaster incoming. Look out for The Doctor. ^_^

edit: after reading back through the OP, I realized I had the same problem at first where I didn't attach everything to the application at first. Well, actually, I *had* attached a resume, but it was my normal resume that has just the normal [and boring] stuff on it [that's completely unrelated to LoL and shoutcasting]. I panicked and withdrew the application because I didn't want to submit something that was incomplete. After a couple of days, I had typed up a shout-casting specific resume with references to my previous LoL-related work (specifically, I pointed to my previous shoutcasting experience and setting up a LoL club at my university, and of course that's not something you normally want on a resume unless it's related to the kind of job you're applying for.) I also included a sort of wall-of-text introduction/summary at the top of the resume that, in retrospective, should have probably been expanded and put into a cover letter instead.

So... 2 more questions:

After fixing all the attachments to how I wanted them, I went back to resubmit, and the system thought I still had an application even though I withdrew the initial application. Can I somehow find out the status on my application just to make sure it's submitted how I wanted it to?

edit2: taking out the question that was here because I found the answer on the LinkedIn page. quote:
"p.s. You still have time to edit as the shoutcaster applications won't be looked upon till after Worlds (Source. Deman)"

edit3: Not sure if you would know the answer to this, but I'll ask anyway. The current listing is for 2 separate shoutcasting applications for NA and EU. Does that mean there are actually 2 slots to be filled, or is it that Riot is considering filling Jason Kaplan's now vacated spot on either continent depending on the responses (read: applicants) they get?
The Doctor is in!

As tempting as cookies sound, I regretfully decline as I'm still waiting on the unicorn that was promised me...

The LinkedIn page would be your best bet re: submissions [apologies for the late turn around on this].

If there are multiple postings on our Careers page, it means that there are multiple openings [yay!!!] I'm not sure if it's to backfill someone or not, but it's there! It's open! It's potentially yours!!!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

10-07-2013
104 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplague1369 View Post
I may have accidently sent in an application, and it wasn't really worthy of sending in. I am not very qualified, and i kind of filled it out partially without thinking, and i might have accidently submitted it. If you guys happen to get my application, feel free to get rid of it, i would love to work in Player Behavior for Riot more than anything else i can think of, but i probably don't have the qualifications.
Hello, theplague1369,

Feel free to post a message on our LinkedIn page to have your application withdrawn. I believe you can do it yourself, but if you can't, that's your go to

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

10-07-2013
105 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoIia View Post
Hello Chezia,

I would like to be a part of the game industry as someone who works more on balance of the game or helping to build, add on to, change, etc. mechanics of the game and game play and make sure the game is healthy. With that said, I'm not particularly interested in the programming side of games, is there a specific field/degree for that type of job? Basically I want to be a Morello I guess or any of his balance lackeys.

EDIT: Also, what kind of schools would bigger companies like you guys recommend/recognize as good schools (mainly 100% online ones if possible) that I should look into if there is a type of degree for that kind of game design (I guess that's what that would be called.)
Hey RoIia,

You might want to look into QA [quality assurance] or Game Design. Those would be closest to what you're describing.

I don't think there are schools we look at more than others as our Game Designers and QA peeps come from all walks of life and backgrounds. Do some research into the industry and the specific roles you find interesting. The industry is always changing, so it's good to be on top of things.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

10-07-2013
106 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoxiousIce View Post
Hello Riot Chezai,

Thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly to this thread and interact with the community. I'd imagine that it is taking up quite a bit of your time, and it is much appreciated.

My question basically boils down to: How do I become Xypherous or Xelnath?

Not literally of course, but how do I go from very little education (currently working on my associates in English at a community college,) to doing what they do? I love reading then entirety of every re-work thread, and I love reading the responses that they write. It's wonderful to see what is currently being worked on, and what problems are being tackled at the moment.

I love participating in those threads as well because it's a mental exercise in problem solving for something that I am deeply passionate about (games, I love my board games just as much as my video games). It's a bit disappointing when I cant directly see the effects that the experimentation and iteration have on the game, but that's one of the great things about that job (at least that's what my experience in HS robotics tells me). I'm sure that they have other duties as well, and I'm fairly certain that it includes a bit of programming (though I suppose that you would know better than I, and they even better than you,) so what exactly should I be looking in terms of education and acquiring experience if that's what I want to do?

It doesn't have to be at Riot Games specifically, but it would be awesome if it ends up that way, sometimes it's just a little difficult knowing what the next few steps are, I really am hoping you can help point the way.

Thanks for your time,
Noxiousice
Hey NoxiousIce,

It's been my pleasure 'chatting' with everyone. I'm excited to see all the passion and interest from everyone. It definitely makes me excited to do what I do

Tbh, I have no idea what it takes to be a Xelnath or Xypherous, but legend has it that Xelnath appears if you say his name backwards 3 times in the dark whilst lighting 3 black candles...

If that doesn't work, you can definitely do research into the field. I know I repeat this a lot throughout the thread, but doing your research into the industry and positions you're interested in is the first step. There are lots of gaming blogs, forums, newsletters, sites, etc. that are worth taking the time to look through. Additionally, game designers love interacting with the community, seek them out, engage them in conversation, and listen to their stories. Hope this helps!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

10-07-2013
107 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0nduit View Post
Riot Chezai, thanks for all your responses so far. I appreciate all the time you've put into this thread!

I've got a quick question:

Do y'all accept multiple interns in a given department (for example, can there be 2-3 Game design interns over the summer) or is it just 1 position up for grabs?
Hey k0nduit,

The number of interns a team will take on is directly related to how much mentorship they can provide. It varies from team to team, internship season to internship season.

ShiverMePenguins

10-08-2013

Not to hijack this thread or anything, but since we're on the discussion of employment at Riot games, what is Riots view upon technical schools like ITT Tech, and Devry?

I really want to do project management/business administration, but not if companies like Riot and others look down on the technical schools. I personally like many others cannot afford an education at Digipen or one of the other elite schools that many firms hire from.

EvilTreeSpock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-08-2013

Hello Riot Chezai,

First thank you for all of your responses so far in this thread. I'm sure you've made a lot of people happy by answering their questions. I have been very interested in the work that Lyte and his team have done and really have just been impressed by how as a company Riot is able to be so focused and dedicated to improving player experience for such a huge player base. I'm not tech savvy really, but I love examining and looking at the reasoning behind how people think and act, both at an individual level, group level, and societal level.

While I love thinking on this topic, it has always been on my own time or in a few classes outside my major that I have taken that touched upon the matter such as an anthropology class where we studied the growing Muslim immigrant groups in Europe. As such I don't really feel like I have the experience needed to work in player support or in player behavior beyond my years of experience as a gamer and through personal relationships I have with those around. I don't know if you have any suggestions as to what kind of experience I should try and get if I want to apply to Riot or if you think I should try and apply anyways and see what happens, but I would love to hear some feed back on this. I hate seeing forum posts about when people have negative experiences and I would love to help improve how happy the community can be and in game experiences in general, I just don't know how to do that right now.