Idea on how to change Doran's items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

I8C SRS FACE

12-16-2009

Don't change them at all. They are perfect as they are and people that can't see the value in them are short-sighted.

Considering that early game kills right now are THE metagame, I want to slap everyone that says Doran's items aren't worth it "because they don't combine into anything." A Doran's Blade > some shmuck using a Longsword. Doran's shield + potion > Ruby Crystal/Regrowth Pendant. Doran's Ring > Meki Pendant.

If you're an aggresive player, having a Doran's item and the know-how to get early game kills gives you an advantage over every other player that decided to take something "that combines into something" later down the road. I'll take my +500 gold from early game hero kills and buy what you just had yourself and still have 130 HP + armor and health regen, thank you very much.

Even if you don't capitalize on those potential early game kills, you don't lose anything by investing in a Doran's Item. Most people don't seem to have any problems starting the game with a couple health potions. Every time you use that potion, it's 35 gold that is "gone forever" because you're not going to see it again. DORAN'S ITEMS SELL BACK TO THE VENDOR. Items sell for 50% of their buy price. That means, at worst, you are out 217 gold as you sell it back to the vendor towards the purchase of something else. Ooh. Man, that stings ever so badly. Most higher end games? Yeah, they end real fast. They tend not to drag on all that much. That means you're not going to utilize every single one of your item slots on a 3k+ gold item. Sorry. It's actually not the norm when you've got a Black Cleaver, Bloodthirster, Infinity Edge, Frozen Mallet and Phantom Dancers. It's not wasting a spot while it's there, because 130 health is hard to argue with ever, and the defense/HP regen or damage/gold tick or AP/MP5 are great early game.

If you don't see the value in them, don't buy them as there are other options for beginning the game. Simple as that. Please stop making threads on your miracle way to solve the "problem" of Doran's items "not combining into anything." I swear there's a thread on it once a day.

Bendery

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2009

This right here.

Moonsight

12-16-2009

I respectfully disagree with the OP.

Let's look at Dorans from a build perspective. Buying, say, a Doran's sword to start as opposed to buying a longsword and a health potion means that it takes longer to buy your, let's say, Madred's Bloodrazor. The advantage it gives to your first four levels is just not worth the delay that it brings to your level five - ten build, which is the most important part of the game.

Hydrium

12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonsight View Post
which is the most important part of the game.

Provably wrong.

On so many levels.

I8C SRS FACE

12-16-2009

It delays you all of 217 gold toward getting your Madred's Razor. Considering I see people buying elixirs and using them to good effect pre-level 4, I hardly think spending money on a Doran's item isn't worthwhile.

In fact, specifically talking about Doran's Blade, let's assume you bought it first thing as soon as the game loaded. 5 minutes into the game, it would have generated 30 gold, so you're only behind 187 gold over someone that started with just the raw longsword. Considering you had a significant advantage over that character, I'd say that the item ends up paying for itself. (130 early game HP means a well-coordinated harass combo like Mundo and Tristana can get a few kills over people that don't bother to start with extra health items fairly easily).

I use a Doran's Blade on just about every ranged carry hero (not that I play more than Tristana unless I'm just messing around), and buy Doran's Shield on Rammus, Blitzcrank, and if I feel like playing him more tanky rather than Ability Power, Cho'Gath and Sion. Doran's Ring is the one I feel is the weakest of the trio simply because I feel that most heroes that are mana and AP reliant early game are better off with raw +mana from a sapphire crystal and a couple health potions. I believe if they decreased the HP it gave you and removed the AP component for an increase in mana, it would be a lot better. (Let's say you'd lower the HP to +100 and remove the AP but gave it +100 mana, it would be significantly improved at least in my eyes.)

Try using a Doran's Blade on Tristana when you solo lane sometime. I'm serious. Her base HP is abysmal, but her starting damage is pretty signficant, even if you have the modest crit runes that I do on my rune page. Start with Leap and Explosive shot (so we're talking level 2), harass the champion you're laning against as much as possible (remember to kill creeps near the hero so that it takes Explosive shot damage), then once you get someone to half health, you can pounce with leap, trigger explosive shot, and attack as they run. If anyone wants to stand toe-to-toe with you, they will die unless they are a tank, but then again, you should be able to harass any melee DPS champion that decides to solo-lane into oblivion with her awesome early game harassment skills.

Mr Cynical

12-16-2009

+1

Good post, OP (Although it is is my personal opinion that Doran's Blade isn't as good as the other Doran's items)