Amumu - need some advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sreto

11-12-2010

So, I really enjoy playing Amumu but tbh I am torn with how to build him. I usually look what the other team is made up of and try to itemize based on that but I see a lot of people who say that stacking 2-3 sunfire capes on him is the way to go.

Anyone have any suggestions on a build order? Please don't comment unless you've at least played him for quite a few games.

Rowejob

11-12-2010

I do 1 sunfires then I build based on the opponent. If I am doing really well then I will stack the sunfires but only if we are rolling over them. But usally I have to stack up magic resists with him to stay alive in the middle of everyone and end up with 2 sunfires.

Narnak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2010

Depends if you are jungling or laning. Also heavily depends on your opponent. Tanks have the most variable gear because they have to itemize to counter the other team more than anyone. DPS mainly just need to be aware of armor/MR stackers and get a Last Whisper/Void Staff if needed mid to late game. Tanks have to build their entire item set around who is doing the most damage on the other team as the match progresses. In general, Amumu has a pretty decent base health. More is great but really he just wants a lot of mitigation so that he can take hits in the middle of the entire team (because that's where he likes to be). He needs to take a LOT of hits because everyone loves to hit the squishy-looking mini-mummy that has an untold number of Sunfire Capes hiding under his mummy wraps.

That said, a few items do work pretty well with Amumu on most matches. For one, Mercury treads. For MR, but mainly CC reduction. Amumu has no ranged attacks really and mobility effects really ruin his day. I probably wouldn't get anything else on Amumu no matter what the team unless we were rolling them and I get Swiftness boots for the lulz. Second, Banshee's Veil. This item is beast on every champ. It's IMO the most powerful item in the game. Don't need to rush it necessarily, but most if not nearly all of the time you should have it before the match ends. Not only does it have the most effective health against magic of any item not even counting its shield, the shield also blocks untolds amount of damage PLUS helping prevent CC which Amumu despises. For MR in general, aside from Banshee's, Force of Nature is the other go-to for Amumu. These are standard for most tanks though, as they offer the most effective health against magic damage, if the team is magic heavy. Usually just Banshee's and Treads is enough, but FoN is good for heavy magic teams.

Next up is armor items. This is a much bigger list as there are just more armor items. First off of course you have to mention Sunfire Cape. This item is great because all 3 stats on it are just awesome for Amumu. Armor, Health and a damage aura that stacks with Despair. If the team is physical heavy, get a few of these and watch the lulz roll in. I'm also a big fan of Randiun's Omen. You have to remember to use the active, but the active does mesh quite well with Amumu's abilities (again he's melee not ranged and wants to be in the middle of the enemy). It also gives you a bit of Health which is good, and a very large amount of Armor. Finally Frozen Heart can be good against teams a lot of right clickers especially ones with speed boosts like Yi or Trist or Twitch. When it comes to choosing armor items, if you are laning more than likely you'd end up with Sunfires since the itemization is great and you can stack them. If you are jungling, you are starting with a Cloth Armor which you likely want to build into something. Heart of Gold is my personal favorite here because it gives some extra income for a bit plus turns into a useful item for Amumu.

Finally, you do not have to build one item at a time. In fact, most of the time this is actually a bad idea. There is absolutely no problem with buying a Chain Vest and a Negatron Cloak as your first items after boots. This gives you nice boost of mitigation against both damage types and will eventually build into items you'll use. If you need more health against early bursty champs? Pick up a Giant's Belt or a Ruby Crystal. You can build it into something later. Want something that will help absorb some damage or give you more mana while laning? A Catalyst is great item to rush giving you health and mana each level up which keeps you in lane and also might even give you the opportunity to bait them into attacking you when you are about to ding and you finish them off with the extra health boost keeping you alive.

To summarize, the best way to build Amumu (or any tank) is to just study the list of items, think about which ones you like on Amumu...maybe even make a list or a Tier list of items you will use sometimes during matches. Know what components these items take, and just buy components that will help you each blue pill, eventually working toward the high tier items you'll need to finish the game.