How to make Jax work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JunkRamen

12-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelrambo View Post
This depends entirely on what Elo bracket you play in. I saw your name on the top 500, so, sure, maybe it doesn't work there. Mid tier games allow a lot of room for Jax to cause trouble, though.
But even in the mid tier, the heroes I listed do his job better and more. I mean yeah, a decked out Jax is pretty scary, but Yi and especially Corki/Trynd lend much more to the carry role. Jax's main strength is his damage output at 6, but even then it's not like the other carries don't have strong ults of their own.

Strawbrrymlk

12-18-2009

There are three jax builds, and none are considered "top tier" for high level play.

The tank build- is ignorable in team fights(more so than other tanks) due to a lack of aoe, and doesnt initiate well either.

The physical dps build - good 1v1 and late-game I suppose, but in real play it is mediocre, and there are other champs that fill the same role.

The AP build - This is the most valid jax for good elos. It is not that common to see jax in high elo matches, but you do see it from time to time. The reason that this is the only way to go with jax is it is the only build that isnt clearly beaten by another champion doing a simaler build. It has excellent burst, is mobile and is more tanky than alot of dps. It is also probaly the hardest to play, and definately the least played jax build. to summarize the items quickly you should end up with sorc. boots, haunting guise, a lich bane, and something like rylai's depending on game.

dripskydrip

12-18-2009

Jax is a fun champion and it's shame that he is currently.. underpowered. I play in mid - high elo and I find him very hard to handle, mainly because of his overal squishiness against the omnipresent magic damage and crowd control.

I would love to master him, there must be some top tier Jax players who can spare a tip or two. I'm level 30 with full page of tier 3 runes like +armor penetration, +dodge and -cooldown (quints are +1.5 dodge) and mostly I just fail.

What I am doing wrong?

I tried like a dozen of dps builds, and the problem was always with going mallet or not (with mallet I can slow them, but I do lack dps to finish them off; phage really isn't enough). Golem buff isn't always available, so I need to find a solution.

Most success I had with this build:

regrowth -> philo
ninja tabi
3x Hearts of Gold
Razor -> Blood Razor
sell heart -> stark's
sell heart -> guardian angel
sell heart -> banshee's veil

but that build is rather hard to complete and I'm totally fragile to all sources of magic damage. sure there is some dps there and there, but lack of slow hurts.

never tried AP build, Jax just does not seem to be an AP champion.. he's a fighter, he should feel right with physical damage and enough survivability.

.. but I guess I need to try few AP build mentioned here.

well, there must be way to make him viable, perhaps we could find the solution?

maybe there's any recent guide? everything around seems so dated.

vvolfster

12-18-2009

Jax eats other DPSers. Whoever thinks Yi beats Jax hasn't seen a good Jax. However, I do think with sword of the divine, jax is too easily countered as you mentioned his squishiness already. His main talent is dodging attacks and that blasted item removes that for 5 seconds. 5 seconds is a big deal in league of legends. I think jax should get a small percent of dodge added permanently to his stats every time he uses his stun. I suggest 0.05 percent.

In any case, 1v1, I'd be surprised for any champion to beat Jax save Trynd. Team fights, he can't initiate like any other regular carry. He has to go in after the tank has taken the burst of the damage and then kill them all. Btw, your builds with jax. Stacking heart of golds. Very unorthodox.

AP Jax is boring imo. Why should I choose to do 900 dmg by using one of my skills and wait for it to be off cooldown for 3 seconds when I can do 1300 dmg in one second with regular attacks?

Here's what I have noticed about Jax though. It's really hard for Jax to come back from bad starts like 0/6 compared to other carries. Jax's effectiveness increases 2 folds, imo, when he gets the lizard buff. But I suppose that's true for just about anyone. Point is, if you know how to play as Jax, late game he'll be downright unstoppable.

I suggest playing alongside a Kayle or a Soraka.

A buddy once told me, Jax is the jack of all trades. He can do it all, he can kill it all :P

dripskydrip

12-18-2009

vvolfster:

Build that I mentioned does wonders against physical damage based teams. You should try it sometimes, but it's rather hard to face a team like that.

What's your way to build Jax? In details, please? Some early game strategy? I would deeply appreciate your feedback.

If Jax isn't viable without golem buff 24/7, I consider him broken.

JunkRamen

12-18-2009

The problem isn't so much beating Yi as much as it being more of an asset to your team than Yi is. Jax does pretty well against auto-attackers. Problem is, even a team full of auto-attackers can make Jax run away quickly with magic damage alone. The only way to counter it is to pick up some health. But if you do that, you're either building a tank Jax build, which is garbage compared to Cho/Ali/whoever, or you're going to be way behind in damage and farmability compared to the faster building carries.

Necrax

12-18-2009

well. i really enjoy jax, almost any time i play him.

a jax with tabi, frozen mallet, dancer, and veil is still sexy dps wise while getting good defense as well. if time and money permits get sword of divine or another dancer or last whisper of fat armor tankies are a prob and you are quite beasty. if you feel unsafe with early game harassing take a regrowth at the start - no real need to upgrade it though.

the runes i use are as follows:
red: full armor penetration. this helps early game harassing and is better than nothing against tanks later on
yellow: full dodge
blue: full -cd, i always use full -cd on blue runes though, no matter the champ

with exhaust and either cleanse or ghost he's quite playable in most situations. but then, i'm not a pro.

Razerwind

12-18-2009

Our Jax last night was 22-4 and got 21,000 gold in 40 minutes. I'm 23, the rest of my team was around that also, the lowest on enemy team was 17. He decimated **** worse than I've seen anyone do it. There's a way to play him right, he just needs gold. He wasn't fed early either, we just kept doing decent in team fights and farming minions mid game and before we knew it he was a hell of a carry.

BTW I think he had 2x phantom dancer, infinity edge, bloodthirster, and maybe stark's also.

dripskydrip

12-18-2009

any chance of getting exact item order?

JunkRamen

12-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razerwind View Post
Our Jax last night was 22-4 and got 21,000 gold in 40 minutes. I'm 23, the rest of my team was around that also, the lowest on enemy team was 17. He decimated **** worse than I've seen anyone do it. There's a way to play him right, he just needs gold. He wasn't fed early either, we just kept doing decent in team fights and farming minions mid game and before we knew it he was a hell of a carry.

BTW I think he had 2x phantom dancer, infinity edge, bloodthirster, and maybe stark's also.
Yet, due to the scaling of his ult and skills in general, Tryndamere, Yi, and Corki all easily make better carries than him. Yeah, he has decent chasing ability - so do they. Yeah, he has a stun, but it only procs off of auto-attacks, and if he's being attacked a lot chances are he's getting stunned himself. Aside from that he has two abilities that hit like a truck early and mid game but by the time he has the kind of money you describe, they don't even come close to the scaling that Yi and Trynd (or even Tristana) have and the AoE that Corki has.