Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Shaco the ******bag: He who laughs last

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zyren

12-16-2009

I thought I'd share with everyone my build and strat for Shaco. Allow me to put forth the premise that I backdoor at every chance I get as Shaco. If you have a problem with that, well then I don't really care.

Skill Arsenal

(Passive Bonus) Backstab: Shaco deals 25% bonus damage when striking a unit from behind.

(Q) Deceive
Shaco stealths himself instantly for four seconds and teleports to target nearby location. If he attacks while stealthed, he is guaranteed to crit for a bonus 50/70/90/110/130% damage. (Using abilities while stealthed does not break stealth)

(W) Jack in the Box
Shaco creates a Jack in the Box at target location, which will stealth after 2 seconds and pop out when enemies come near it at which point it will fear nearby enemies for .5/.75/1/1.25/1.5 seconds and attack them. Last 90 seconds while stealthed or 5 seconds when firing.

(E) Two-Shiv Poison
Passive: While Two-Shiv Poison is ready to cast Shaco's attacks poisons his target, reducing their movement speed and chance to hit by 20/22.5/25/27.5/30% for 2 seconds.
Active: Deals half weapon damage +40/80/120/160/200 (+scales with AP 1:1) damage to target enemy, and poisons them for 3 seconds.

(R) Hallucinate
Shaco creates an illusion of himself, which deals 75% damage and receives 200/165/130% damage. On death, illusion explodes for 300/450/600 (+scales with AP 1:1) damage to nearby enemies. Illusion lasts up to 30 seconds or until killed.

Runes/Masteries/Summoner Spells

Runes: Although I have Armor Penetration because I tend to play other Physical DPS characters, it's recommended that for Marks you focus on Crit Damage, but either are fine. I recommend the Health per Level Seals, and Cooldown reduction for Glyphs. I'm currently using Movement Speed Quints, because I like being even more capable of escaping enemies.

Masteries: As long as you have 21 points into the Offensive tree, then the other 9 are up to you.
3/3 Deadliness, 2/3 Archmage's Savvy
4/4 Sorcery, 4/4 Alacrity
1/1 Archaic Knowledge, 3/3 Sunder
3/3 Lethality
1/1 Havoc

Summoner Spells:
I typically go for Teleport and Cleanse. Teleport allows you to be all over the map at any given time, which is great for mind-****ery, and cleanse has been buffed ridiculously, but even before it was essential because it removes Twisted Fate's Ultimate.

Promote can be a decent alternative to Teleport if you pick up the mastery instead of 2/3 Archmage's Savvy.

Item Build
Start: Rejuvenation Bead, Faerie Charm, and 1 HP potion.
Build your Tiamat's.
Berserker's Greaves
Brutalizer
Vamp Scepter (Later can be turned into Executioner's Calling or Bloodthirster)
Infinity's Edge
Last Whisper
If the game goes on this long, and you've already got your Executioner's Calling or Bloodthirster, sell your Tiamat's and pick up a Sheen-->Trinity Force.

Skill Build
1:W 2:Q 3:E 4:E 5:E 6:R
7:E 8:Q 9:E 10:Q 11:R 12:Q
13:Q 14:W 15:W 16:R 17:W 18:W

Early-Game Strategy
Quickly get your starting gear, then head to the golem and place JitBs in the bushes or where he spawns. Lure him to the JitBs (You should have at least 4 down already) and then spawn your 5th one ASAP. All the while you should be beating on the golem. Use your HP potion if necessary. If your boxes hit the minions instead of the golem, leave, because you screwed it up. (Be careful, it seems to me that when I've been Purple on the Snowy map, putting Boxes on his spawn doesn't work often).

After you got this, either teleport to your lane if it's the opposite side of the map, or just run over to it. Feel free to essentially spam your JitB whenever it's off CD to harass your opponents, but play defensively as any good melee should early game. Always make sure you have enough mana to use Deceive, it could mean the difference between life and death.

Once you have your Tiamat's and Berserker's, you can farm rather easily and push lanes quickly. If there is no easily forseeable gank for you to go participate in, then feel free to push towers. When you're pushing a lane, it's a good idea to spawn boxes along any passages to the lane you're in.

Mid-Game Strategy
Once you have your Brutalizer, backdooring becomes a very fun option, but always make sure you have boxes to give you an escape route. When you approach the tower you want to Backdoor, deceive towards it before you are in range of it, spawn a box at it's base, and pop your Ultimate. The turret targets the box first, then your illusion, and finally it'll target you. Don't worry about getting towers down, if enemies come to stop you, just run away for now. You'll be back later whenever they give you the chance.

Kill the golem whenever you can, because your illusion is what allows you to backdoor so effectively. He gains 75% of your damage, and also gets the bonuses from your items like attack speed and armor penetration. Backdoor at any chance you get, because the other team will be forced to break up their gank-squads to defend, unless they want to let you end up Backdooring their inhibitors.

As usual, always be on the look-out for Squishy Champions who are either fleeing from the teamfight, or are alone and easy prey. Shaco is amazing at cleaning up the runners.

Late-Game Strategy
This is pretty much the same as Mid-Game, although by this point the other team should be aware of your presence and will most likely have a couple people defending. This is why teleport comes in so much handy. If you spawn one of your boxes near a turret on one side of the map, and push the other side... then when they come for you as you destroy their bottom turret, you can teleport to your box and destroy their top one too.

Once you have Infinity's Edge, you'll probably be able to take most non-tanks in a few hits, but don't put yourself into the middle of their team in a group fight, because you are very squishy. A good strat is to manipulate your illusion and get him in the middle, then when they are attacking him, your team can bum-rush them and you can clean up any stragglers. Make sure to block enemy escape routes with your boxes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... Backdoor the hell out of them, and enjoy the yummy tears that you're bound to hear in All Chat.

Vordrax

12-16-2009

Quote:
Zyren:
Allow me to put forth the premise that I backdoor at every chance I get as Shaco. If you have a problem with that, well then I don't really care.

Great guide, I don't play Shaco but I've seen some awesome ones. Just wanted to say to this:

Anyone who thinks backdooring is a "cheap" strategy is pretty silly. The fact is, there are 40-some odd champions, and not all of them make an awesome "5 man gank squad" comp; but the goal of the game is to destroy the Nexus, not to gear out your carry and get 1337 kills.

Rock on, Shaco.

inept

12-16-2009

yup I play him pretty similarly except entirely different items and I bring rally instead of teleport as I find I dont really need the mobility with deceive

rally ensures you kill golem at lvl 1 and ensures you solo baron at lvl 14

etc

nothin worst then getting pugs that dont understand hes useless in teamfights and keep QQing when you kill turrets while they run out like morons and die 4v5.

Zyren

12-16-2009

Quote:
Vordrax:
Great guide, I don't play Shaco but I've seen some awesome ones. Just wanted to say to this:

Anyone who thinks backdooring is a "cheap" strategy is pretty silly. The fact is, there are 40-some odd champions, and not all of them make an awesome "5 man gank squad" comp; but the goal of the game is to destroy the Nexus, not to gear out your carry and get 1337 kills.

Rock on, Shaco.

I completely agree, but I just put that as a warning because I know there are some out there that love to QQ about backdooring.

Glad you liked the guide.

Quote:
inept:
yup I play him pretty similarly except entirely different items and I bring rally instead of teleport as I find I dont really need the mobility with deceive

rally ensures you kill golem at lvl 1 and ensures you solo baron at lvl 14

etc

nothin worst then getting pugs that dont understand hes useless in teamfights and keep QQing when you kill turrets while they run out like morons and die 4v5.

This is the build I've personally had the most success with. I have quite a few games where I get 9+ building kills. Although, I do hope to test out the Malady/Bloodrazor build and see if I can work those items in instead of maybe Tiamat's and Brutalizer.

I don't typically have any issue with killing the golem at level 1, unless it's buggy with my boxes or something.

And yes, it's amusing when my team will yell at me for not being with the group. Typically, they shut up when you end up backdooring an enemy inhibitor. =) I personally like to have my team either defend with a turret (all four of them), or have them push mid while I push the side lanes. That usually results in at least a turret or two going down.

Carleton

12-16-2009

Pretty good guide and my only comment would be to drop the tiamat. Sure it provides great splash for farming but you shouldn't be farming, you should be last hitting. I would suggest to rush the brutalizer or get sheen, you'll be much better off.

Quote:
inept:

Shaco is far from useless in team fights, he's GREAT at singling out a hero and dropping him quickly. Not to mention he's also a god of catching runners.

Zyren

12-16-2009

Quote:
Carleton:
Pretty good guide and my only comment would be to drop the tiamat. Sure it provides great splash for farming but you shouldn't be farming, you should be last hitting. I would suggest to rush the brutalizer or get sheen, you'll be much better off.

Shaco is far from useless in team fights, he's GREAT at singling out a hero and dropping him quickly. Not to mention he's also a god of catching runners.

It's not purely for farming, it's also amazing for pushing because of how fast a deceive behind the mid-creep with tiamat's can destroy creep waves. Although, I will certainly take your suggestion into consideration for my own testing purposes. What's great is that your illusion gets the Tiamat's effect too, so you can really just destroy waves exceptionally fast with it.

I certainly agree with you, Shaco is amazing for popping in for quick kills on squishies. I just think that if the enemy team is pushing mid, and your 4 teammates defend with the turret, that is an amazing opportunity for you to Backdoor their turrets/inhibitors.

Thanks for the comments!

LemonWarlord

Recruiter

12-16-2009

I have to agree with no Tiamat. Really, pushing up the lane does you no good at all. Especially with such a good ganking potential, the closer they are to your tower, the farther they are from theirs.

Zyren

12-16-2009

Quote:
LemonWarlord:
I have to agree with no Tiamat. Really, pushing up the lane does you no good at all. Especially with such a good ganking potential, the closer they are to your tower, the farther they are from theirs.

Well I've run a few practice games to test different item builds and so far I think the best alternative is to build Madred's Bloodrazor, Berserker's Greaves, then Last Whisper... and then do brutalizer/infinity's edge. I want to test out building a sheen first too though.

I did notice that I miss the, albeit minor, regen though for early-game.

On the other hand, I don't play my Shaco with a heavy focus on ganking at all times. If the other team distracts themselves by trying to push mid, and my team is competent at defending with the turret, then that gives me a tremendous opportunity to backdoor a turret or 2, forcing the other team to scatter and try and gank me, while they get picked off one by one.

I'll keep trying out the different starting items though.

Zyren

01-09-2010

Haven't been able to play for a few weeks, any suggestions for when I return?