Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why some champions are not fun to play against.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KillinUrDoodz

11-28-2010

Ever wonder why? Well, first let's talk about all the rage we have. Some of us have rage towards every champion that has ever hurt us in any way possible. I have a friend like this who actually calls every champion he faces 'such bull****' because they are played effectively.

But I'm going to assume most of us are rational human beings (snicker) who actually have a basic understanding of this game.

A basic understanding says:

1. Every champion has a way to threaten me.
2. I should adjust my play style to mitigate their threat against me.

If you do this, congratulations, you have the right mindset to get better at this game.

Anyhow, let us say we are this player with the truth of basic understanding. What pisses us off?

We lane against Vlad and we rage. But we adjust our play style. We cope with Vlad. But we still hate his guts.

Why?

We team fight against Tryndamere and we rage. But we adjust our play style. We cope with Tryndamere. But we still hate his guts.

Why?

We center against Kennen and we rage. But we adjust our play style. We cope with Kennen. But we still hate his guts.

Why?

Sure, there are some champion that we think are pretty annoying, but we still have fun against them. I play Cho'Gath. I hate laning against Vlad/Kennen/Your Mother. But to be honest, Dr. Mundo gives me the most trouble out of any champion. But when I am soloing a lane as Cho'Gath, I love going 1 vs. 1 against Mundo. I have a blast. It's a tough battle, Mundo is probably my biggest fear, but I still have fun. Vlad doesn't give me trouble. I still hate laning against him. Why is that?

We all 'hate' characters, but there are a certain few that make us want to curb stomp a puppy.

Every champion that drives you, the rational player with the basic understanding, to curb stomping puppies, is a certain kind of character.

Vlad is their *****-king.

These characters are the following:

A) Easy to play at a competent level
B) Have a wide margin of error
C) Will **** you up the split second you make a mistake

Let's say you are centering against vlad. You get into a little tussle of harass. You both take equal damage. Oh wait, Vlad heals himself in less than a minute. Well durp, I guess I lost.

Vlad tower dives you. He messes up, but he gets out. Oh **** he's in for it- he's healing again that ***** of Babylon!

Vlad tries some **** on you, you turn it arou- MOTHER ****ER DON'T YOU POOL AWAY

You try to gank Vlad. You get a little too close to the tower. Hemoplague ignite transfusion blood po- you have been slain.

---

Every champion that makes you want to curb stomp puppies will do this. In order to play against these characters you have to be passive. You have to stop playing the gank game, or the harass game, or whatever. You have to focus as much as possible on making your lane quiet. You try to make it about farming.

In a sense, instead of playing for advantage, you are playing to maintain equilibrium- an even game. If you try to play for advantage, you will mess up and fall behind. If they try to play for advantage, you can't try to make some counter-play. It's too risky, you will mess up and fall behind. They will make their stupid plays and get out of it for free. You will sit there like a ***** and hope you can outdo them in the team fight phase.

At least you can hurt Dr. Mundo as much as he can hurt you.

Sheldons

11-28-2010

aggreed.

Shaella

11-28-2010

Play Anivia against Vlad
watch him try to pool
R
/trollface

KillinUrDoodz

11-28-2010

Quote:
Shaella:
Play Anivia against Vlad
watch him try to pool
R
/trollface

YES!

You understand why Anivia is my favorite champion to play. At least Anivia has practically no margin of error (except her egg, which is like the thread holding up the sword of Damocles)

Shaella

11-28-2010

part of the reason i play anivia (when i'm feeling tryhard) is because i know I can make sparkles DIE

KillinUrDoodz

11-28-2010

I also enjoy Annie for that reason. She can farm like Vlad doesn't exist but if he tries **** she can knock off half his health and chase his scrawny ass to his tower and finish him. In fact, Annie and Anivia are the only champions I like playing against Vlad. Because I can punish him. My thesis at least works for me

I once had a Vlad fail tower dive me while I played Annie. I said "???" in chat. He said "You play so passively I got bored."

/bearface

Minrog

11-28-2010

Quote:
KillinUrDoodz:
2. I should adjust my play style to mitigate their threat against me.

The only characters I dislike are the ones where #2 cannot be done. This would be like a pre-season one Heimerdinger where it doesn't matter how many times you kill him with 3 guys in his lane, he'll just farm and farm and then push mid down without getting into turret range with his team protecting him. Or like LeBlanc where you are sitting on 150 MR by level 8 but she's still dropping you to 30% in a burst with just her Doran's Ring.

Tryndamere might be an exception to these rules, in that I know what it takes to shut him down but it is difficult to execute because it requires teamwork. Then again, I don't hate Trynd, I just wish my teammates didn't have to also know in order for it to work.

KillinUrDoodz

11-28-2010

Minrog: I think that is the criteria that should decide whether a character is overpowered or not.

The Tricks

11-28-2010

people have trouble laning against vlad?

Minrog

11-28-2010

Quote:
KillinUrDoodz:
Minrog: I think that is the criteria that should decide whether a character is overpowered or not.

Maybe that's right, but some of the "overpowered" guys I have no feelings toward whatsoever. I don't have any problem with Amumu or Galio, or even pre-nerf Ezreal. Yeah they are all tough to play against but it isn't like you can't stop them.

I knew intellectually that LeBlanc was trash in the late game, and I just had to avoid her wrath and not get killed. You recall a bunch of times to heal and keep buying the pieces for a Banshee's Veil. It still drove me crazy to have her able to so convincingly obliterate me even when I was speccing/gearing against her.

Heimerdinger was one of my most played for a long time (March - June, or so). I still like him a lot, but fighting against his steady march down mid was horrible. If the enemy team knew anything at all, you either lost the game by default or you had to initiate into them + 3 Heimer turrets.