Boots of Mobility is it worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Diddums

12-14-2009

Recently I have bought Evelynn who is a stealth ganker who is based on ability power and I am using her a bit.

Many people say to buy the spellcaster boots for the spell pen but that only really affects my Pain Spike which is good yes but are boots of mobility worth getting?

Stats: UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement 2 Passive: When out of combat for 5 seconds the effect of these boots is increased to Enhanced Movement 5.

This is quite useful for ganking a runaway hero. But not if they know you are chasing them to finish them off, more for a surprise gank or to quickly aid a teammate.

Thoughts?

Procylon

12-14-2009

This item makes crossing the map, or chasing down low health enemies pretty trivial.

Basically after 5 seconds you get 60 more runspeed. On a character like Yi, not really needed.

On a stealther or other cross map ganker, or even a support character, these boots can make all the difference.

Pickle Wizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-14-2009

It seems to me that on cross-map gankers, it is useful. But not really all that viable on say a heavily ganking hero that may be in hero combat often, where berzerker's greaves may be a more viable option.

Lovely Dolphin

12-14-2009

it is good on both eve and twitch. So u can disappear and gank another lane fast before they call mia and start retreating

Zev Barak

12-14-2009

It is obvious that every hero benefits in some way from each pair of boots depending on a couple factors. What needs to be taken into account (at least for me generally) are a couple things.

1. what is your role on the team? my suggestion to you would be to go boots of mobility as evelyn for a couple reasons...first you're obviously not in combat when you're in stealth. you're job on the team is to gank heroes when able and be able to get at the enemies team's exposed flank / back. Obviously, a vision ward or elixir pretty much shuts you down, but these boots allow yo uto move faster when engaging and running with whatever ability (i think it's the ult) that gives her improved runspeed upon enemy hero death.

2. summoner spells? - it really depends on what spells you're goin to pick and your team picks; if you have teleport, it may not be better to have the mobility boots because you can just go there when you want to. however, i suggest tele anyways especially beause when you come in stealth most heroes just **** themselves if they have no way of seeing you. Another point you have to watch out for is that since cleanse is so godly now, 3-5 people on the opposing team is guaranteed to have it. If they have the slightest knowledge of what they're doing, the moment you stun them and due to your high burst, they tend to cleanse and run for the nearest point of safety. Mobility would be bad in that case considering you'd be in combat; and it'll take 5 seconds to activate the "super speed". Not to mention that since most people run to their tower, you'll be running by creeps that will be auto attacking you due to you jumping the champion or due to proximity aggro if they aren't engaged with your creeps. So, it may take far longer than 5 seconds to be moving that quickly again.

3. item build / progression - mobility boots stack really well with %movement items when you're out of combat...runspeed 5 = 100 movement (i think, correct me if i'm wrong). that is not to say that the spell boots don't work well, magic penetration for such a relatively low cost as well as 40 movement speed is clutch. however, most caster based classes can supplement that penetration with other items and usually do. Another thing to consider would be if you use deathfire grasp since, according to other posts, the 25% of health damage is mitigted by magic resist. So, sorc might be better in that it reduces the amount resisted. I haven't tested this though so dont' take this s a definitive source.

4. masteries - typical caster builds tend to lean on the 9/0/21 split up of points. so you'll already be getting 15 spell penetration from those. This is not to say that you won't be doing somethig different. I have seen other successful eves use different boots (tabi for example) because they put some points into defense. Since you have to dodge that qualifies as combat making the mobility boots a bad choice but tabi decent. The 3% movement speed from utility is overall pretty helpful.

5. enemy team composition - if you're against a team that has a lot of CC then spell / mobility may not be the right choice all together.

to me, it really depends on the above factors and then there's always personal choice. some people swear by a pair of boots that they tend to get irrespective of other variables. To me, there are very few points in the game where you will be out of combat chasing someone to try and kill them. The point of these boots is to allow you to gank quickly and effectively when your TP is off CD. It makes me laugh when i see an eve TP and gank someone top, then appear in middle in roughly 10 seconds to gank someone else. Now, PLEASE keep in mind that I do not play eve. I do play a lot of kassadin and i get boots of mobility on him all the time. My thoughts are that i have high escapability due to riftwalk. If i'm doing things right and am in trouble, i can rift over or away and by the time the enemy heroes get to me it will have been a good 5 seconds and i'm gone regardless since i'm moving so quickly. It also allows me to move quickly to a team fight. How many times have you seen a fight take place and your fifth man just took 3 seconds too long to get there? your team is already in retreat and they did nothing.

in my honest opinion, mobility boots are highly underated. Try em out and i assure you that you will like them. If you don't, to each his or her own.

Kahryl

12-14-2009

Boots of mobility are my new favorite boots, for any character.

They're not great in a fight except for long chases, but they can GET you to wherever you want to go on the map fast. Cuts down on travel time = more farming = gold = power!

EchoRex

12-15-2009

I like them on Rammus for Power Ball plus Ghost shenanigans.

That and on a couple champions to appear where they think I can't get to as quickly to help a gank.

Katsuni

12-15-2009

Depends on alot of factors mostly already noted. They have some very powerful uses, but also aren't useful in actual combat itself.

However, they can be useful for several things:

- outrunning gank squads if yeu can get a lead on them in the first place
- getting into position so yeu don't miss a fight
- being able to make better use of opportunities such as a free tower kill while their team is busy elsewhere (less valueable the higher end games yeu get)
- catching up to runners through the jungle
- farming gold by being where a pack of minions are and noone else is
- generally just being in the right place at the right time

One of the largest deciding factors in the game can be just being where yeu need to be in order to take advantage of an opportunity. Cleanse is insane in combat, but teleport/mobility can ensure yeu get into combat in the first place. Being able to take a second to farm some gold before yeu run over to help defend a push and still make it in time can can be noticible here and there when it occurs several times during a game.

For evelynn I'd probably suggest the sorc boots more frequently as it'll let her actually DO stuff once she's in combat, and she usually doesn't have too many problems getting into combat in the first place (though getting out of it's another matter entirely often... which mobility rarely helps with; if yeu went 5 seconds of safety, then invis is probably already up now; though it does help if they have oracles and yeu get a head start).

For someone like sivir, who can simultaniously push two lanes solo and rip a base apart in seconds if just ignored for a few scant moments, being able to get into position to make use of any opportunities can literally decide a game; playing her as building demolitionist rather than a hero killer, mobility's an absolute must with ghost/teleport to take advantage of any minion waves that get close enough while the other team's off elsewhere. Being able to be anywhere and lane change faster than they can can lead to incredable hit and runs and throw them off.

In higher end play with eve (well eve doesn't really show in higher end play... but anyway... minor technicality), the 5man gank squads dodging each other through the jungle and trying to bait each other out, she's poorly suited to fighting such, and mobility boots won't help anyway. At lower end games, mobility can let yeu snag those runners where someone else ALMOST kills them but then they run back up their lane to their base... mobility will let yeu outrun them and catch up before they escape, and can net yeu a few extra kills there since that situation occurs pretty often in the mid-elo range.

Overall it's up to yeu, mobility's worthless IN combat, but it lets yeu be where yeu need to be when yeu need to be there most, which can be one of the most powerful advantages in any game, or situation, real life or LoL.

Ksielvin

12-15-2009

I've given up on mobility in favour of swiftness. 5 seconds is a long time and any poisons or other lasting effects will piss you off. Also if you like to do drive-by minion kills or neutral creeping while moving around, don't bother.

On the other hand if you like to Flash (or use an ability) across an obstacle to escape, it could buy you the time you need for the boots to activate. A slow champion might be unable to escape with only level 2 or 3 boots.

Queue

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksielvin View Post
I've given up on mobility in favour of swiftness.

There are alot of time when I agree with this. During those times when your boots are only 2 speed, you essentially relying on your characters base speed stat for chasing or ganking, and you can be sure everyone else probably has 2 speed boots as well.

Swiftness are always going to give you a slight leg up, in comparison, during combat, and will split the difference when you are map running. On characters where you plan on spending alot of time running around the map, I can see the value of mobility (Twitch, Shaco, gankers, some junglers), but I would take swiftness on most others.