New Banning Idea to Fix "Meta Problem"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ideology

07-11-2013

As League progresses with time, the champion pool increases. Right now the current champion pool is 114. There are certain champions that stand out above the rest. Most of these champions are commonly picked or banned because of their high strengths and small cons. As of now some of these champions are Nunu, Jayce, Elise, Thresh, Shen, Twisted Fate. Now it's extremely dull to pick the same champions over and over again. Generally, whatever is left of the "popular champion pool" is usually picked first. This leads to the falling of other champions. The other champions are those that do not work well in the current meta. Some of these champions as of right now are Skarner, Dr.Mundo, Corki, and Shyvanna (Note that the pool of very uncommon champions is much much larger). Now these champions aren't even champions that were horrid to begin with. They were very popular in Season 2, but now they have fallen. They are unable to compete with newer champions, or champions that are compatible with current strategies.
So how do you fix this? I propose increasing banning options. Right now I believe a fair ban amount is 5 on each team. It is a fairly large increase, but I believe it is suitable. For a while now the ban options have been limited to 3, and I do believe it was like that in Season 1, unless somebody can correct me. Now during Season 1 there were, I'm not quite sure how many champions were out. I think a fair estimate is 70? I can't quite remember. Now then 6 champions out of 70 is 8.57% of the champion pool. Right now 6 out of 114 is 5.26%. Since Riot will continue to add new champions to the game, that % will continue to grow smaller and smaller. Riot can only control so the balance of so many champions at a time. Right now they are working hard to rework and bring back forgotten champions, but it takes at the very least, a month to rework 1-2 champions. Some of these reworks have arguably been unsuccessful .With the ability to ban 10 champions, the % of champions that are banned will increase to 8.77%, not much higher from my estimate from season 1.

TL;DR The champion pool is getting way too big, and Riot can only balance so many of them at a time. Champions that aren't as strong as top tier champions based on the current meta aren't picked that much anymore. We should increase the amount of bans to 5 per a team.

Suggestions: Increase it to only 4 bans.

Disclaimer: I am not an MLG player, or diamond player. I do believe I am a "good" player, but still in the need of improving. This is a fresh idea off the top of my head. I do not have a fully laid out plan for a 5 champion ban mode, meaning order, or how many at a time. I am suggesting this to the community for it to be worked on. I would appreciate any input on this. Also, it would be nice to point out any confusing run on sentences or grammatical errors, it's late for me, I'm tired, and I'm not the most amazing writer.

Keziki

07-11-2013

Dasher

07-11-2013

I like the idea, im not sure how everything would work but I like the idea. :x

Ideology

07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keziki View Post
Is that the actual numbers of champions that have been released oO?

Doumz

07-11-2013

What I would like to see is top 3 most bans are always banned + you get your normal 6 bans. And the most 3 bans get actualize every week.

tom641

07-11-2013

I totally agree, we need more bans, this is getting out of hand.

Aint

07-11-2013

5 would be too much, but I think we're due for 4. This doesn't exactly fix the problem though, which is that Riot is releasing more sophisticated champions faster than they can update their older, outdated ones.

Ideology

07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aint View Post
5 would be too much, but I think we're due for 4. This doesn't exactly fix the problem though, which is that Riot is releasing more sophisticated champions faster than they can update their older, outdated ones.
I don't think 5 is too much, I mean Dota 2 has 5 bans for each side and they also have a huge problem with balancing

Wasabi Kitty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-11-2013

Quote:
About only 10 of these champions are commonly picked in games due to their high flexibility and advantages over other champions.

Oh just shut up. Are you seriously saying there's only 10 commonly picked champions in the game? Just shut up.

Ideology

07-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabi Kitty View Post
Oh just shut up. Are you seriously saying there's only 10 commonly picked champions in the game? Just shut up.
I did say I was tired <.<, worded it poorly