[Guide] Amumu "The Emo *****"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dashingfire

12-15-2009

Amumu
Amumu had been played a lot more often but he is still a very underplayed champion. He's a tank/disable champion that is very useful in team battles.

Skills
Bandage Toss
- Amumu tosses a sticky bandage at a target, it stuns and damages the target while he pulls himself to them. Throws a bandage to target location. If it hits an enemy unit, Amumu will pull himself to the enemy, stun them, and deal 80 / 140 / 200 / 260 / 320 (+1 per ability power) magic damage.
Cooldown10 secondsCost130 ManaRange 1,100

Despair - Overcome by anguish, nearby enemies lose a percentage of their maximum health each second. Toggle: Nearby enemies are drained by 2 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 4 (+0 per ability power)% of their maximum health each second.
Cooldown1 secondsCost10 Mana per SecondRange 300

Tantrum - Permamently reduces the physical damage Amumu would take. Amumu can unleash his rage, dealing damage to surrounding enemies. Each time Amumu is hit, the cooldown on tantrum is reduced by 1 second. Passive: Amumu takes 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 reduced damage from physical attacks.

Active: Amumu deals 155 (+1 per ability power) magic damage to surrounding units. Each time Amumu is hit, the cooldown on Tantrum is reduced by 1 second.
Cooldown20 secondsCost50 ManaRange 400
Curse of the Sad Mummy - Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units in bandages, causing them to be unable to move or attack and take damage each second. Amumu entangles surrounding enemy units, causing them to be unable to move or attack for 3 seconds, dealing 50 / 100 / 150 (+0 per ability power) magic damage to them each second.
Cooldown180 secondsCost100 / 150 / 200 ManaRange 600 Masteries
In my opinion, I went straight for utility and tank. The cooldown reduction in the utilities is great and the damage reduction against creeps is good for early game.

Recommended Runes
For this build specifically, go for all cooldown reduction. Amumu is an anti-tank for the champions with massive HP.

Summoner Spells
Go for Heal and Teleport. It may seem noobish but I'll explain later. You can also replace Teleport with Flash or Cleanse. Rally is also very good.

Item Build
1- Doran's Shield and Mana Potion
2- Chain Armor -> Giant's Belt -> Sunfire Cape
3- Boots of Swiftness
4- Sunfire Cape
5- Abyssal Scepter
6- Sunfire Cape
7- Sell Doran's Shield and get Guardian Angel

Skill Build
1. Tantrum
2. Bandage
3. Despair
4. Despair
5. Despair
6. Curse
7. Tantrum
8. Tantrum
9. Despair
10. Tantrum
11. Curse
12. Despair
13. Tantrum
14. Bandage
15. Bandage
16. Curse
17- 18. Bandage

How To Play and Reasoning
Early game: Level 1-5
Start off by last hitting creeps with default attack and tantrum. If it is safe, tank the creeps so you can tantrum faster. Use Mana Potion if needed. Once you hit Level 5, you should have at least 700 gold. Use that and buy a chain mail. Now you can solo Golem using despair and tantrum. Once you killed Golem you can leave despair on or just tantrum spam the creeps. Kill Golems whenever they respawn. Even in the enemy's Golem. The cooldown reduction is deadly with despair. With runes and Golem Buff, you should have nearly 40% cooldown reduction which is the maximum. Once you get your first sunfire cape you can solo dragon.

Mid Game: Levels 6- 13
Now to explain why I have teleport and heal. For early team battles that require you're help but you are not there, use teleport. Also you are moving around constantly for the golem and dragon. It is very often that team battles start without you since you are always busy pushing. The heal is for healing of course. Since you will be initiating, everyone will focus fire you. Use that heal and then use Curse of the Sand Mummy. I don't like to initiate with Bandage because I'm not very accurate with it and there are always creeps in the way. So after you initiate with your ult, make sure you have despair on and always tantrum. If the opponent is still living, use bandage if they are running away.

Late Game: Levels 14-18
Now you should barely die. The only weakness you have are against magic users but you have some health to back it up. Your sunfire capes should be raping the squishies and you should now be nearly invincible. If you are to die, you have your guardian angel. You can get your guardian angel sooner than your sunfire capes but I prefer to get sunfire capes first to push.

Note:
Bandage can be used both for initiating but I prefer to use it for people that are running away. Also Rally is a good substitute for heal since it lasts longer and you'll most likely be fighting around the area it is casted.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2009

Just FYI, but Amumu WAS one of the most popular tanks before his nerfs + new cleanse. Also, it is better to get an Abyssal scepter instead of the 3rd Sunfire, because Sunfire does magic dmg.

smokeD

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizz View Post
Just FYI, but Amumu WAS one of the most popular tanks before his nerfs + new cleanse. Also, it is better to get an Abyssal scepter instead of the 3rd Sunfire, because Sunfire does magic dmg.
The reasoning for the 3 sunfires is the health, + the third sunfire will still do more damage without the Abyssal than just the 2 with abyssal.

dashingfire

12-15-2009

Abyssal Scepter is very expensive and it is not worth it for the extra percent in despair. It is true that if the other team gets magic resistance you don't do much damage but Amumu is a tank.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingfire View Post
Abyssal Scepter is very expensive and it is not worth it for the extra percent in despair. It is true that if the other team gets magic resistance you don't do much damage but Amumu is a tank.
Abyssal is a good tank item, because it's an aura that lowers your opponents' MR. It's not THAT expensive for what it gives.

I can't find the thread, but someone did the math and getting Abyssal after 2x sunfires was proven to be better.

dashingfire

12-15-2009

You have a point. I'm adding that in.

smokeD

12-15-2009

Bump city. For good post.

wildfire393

12-15-2009

Abyssal is good for a couple of reasons:

1) It gives AP, which increases the damage of your Tantrum, Bandage, and Ult (not enough to bump Despair up unless you invest in more AP unfortunately, because it has like a 1:120 ratio or something in that ballpark)
2) It gives MR, which helps to make up for the fact that you are a very HP/Armor-stacked tank, making you vulnerable to Madred's Razor and casters in general (it is for this reason that I would also recommend Merc Treads over Swiftness)
3) It gives a -MR aura to your enemies. Not only does this increase your sunfire damage, but it also increases the damage of all of your abilities and of your allies' abilities.

BTW, math on Abyssal versus 3rd sunfire:

Versus 30 MR:
2 Sunfires - 80 DPS * (1-(30/130)) = 61.5 DPS
3 Sunfires - 120 DPS * (1-(30/130)) = 92.3 DPS
2 Sunfires + Abyssal - 80 DPS * (1-(10/110)) = 72.72 DPS

However, if we add in Level 5 despair (4% per second) to this calcuation:

Versus 30 MR and 2000 HP (non-tank, so 80 DPS despair):
3 Sunfires - 200 * (1-30/130) = 153.8 DPS
2 Sunfires - 160 * (1-10/110) = 145.54 DPS

Well... it looks like my math might be betraying me. Note that when you count in the damage boost to your Ult, Tantrum, and Bandage from AP and -MR, it probably wins out.

Just in case it changes something, here's the tank Calcs:
Light Tank: Versus 100 MR and 3000 HP: 120 from 3 capes, 111 from 2 capes and a Scepter
Heavy tank: Versus 200 MR and 4000 HP: 93.3 from 3 capes, 85.7 from 2 capes and a Scepter.

Looks like it's better to go with a 3rd cape if you just look at the cape + despair output.

dashingfire

12-16-2009

It really depends on the situation. If the other team has a lot of magic then go for the Abyssal. If they don't i'd rather have 500 more hp and another 70 armor.

dashingfire

12-19-2009

bump