[Guide] Surrender - Your Shortcut to a Shorter Game!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Runix

11-26-2010

So it seems like there are a lot of guides on a lot of Champions, and even some non-Champion stuff like jungling, and I was thinking to myself--how could I contribute? What do I know better than most players?

And then it hit me: surrendering! It seems like I've been in a lot of games that end in surrender, and I've had a lot of direct experience with it, so maybe I can share a few thoughts on this "surrender" thing and how it can help you out.

What is the surrender vote and how does it work?

Are you in a game that seems like a lost cause? Did you suddenly remember you have something else to do? Did your Raid in World of Warcraft just start up? Is there an emergency involving your dog's digestive system? Is your Mom calling to you for dinner? Or does it just seem like this game is going on too long, and you'd really want to start another one?

Then just start a surrender vote! To do so, hit [Enter] and type "/surrender"; that's all there is to it!

How does it work? If your teammates agree, the game ends, right then! No having to wait for the enemy team to take down your Nexus, no having to run around helplessly while the enemy team repeatedly massacres your team, it's over and you're on to whatever you wanted to do next!

Wait, my teammates have to agree?

Well, yes, unfortunately. A majority of them have to agree to surrender, which can be a bit tricky sometimes, especially when they seem to be doing OK in the game--they might actually want to go on and see if they can win it, which, obviously, is really inconvenient for you. But see below for some tips on how to help things along!

What can I do to help my team agree to a surrender?

Great question, and there's lots of stuff you can do to help your teammates hit that "Yes" button!

First off, if it's been a really bad game for you, like going 1/10 or something like that, that's a great first step. Obviously, you can't control your teammates' behavior, but if you're really stinking it up, that may help your teammates decide that it's a lost cause.

But if you really want the surrender vote to go through, you might have to talk them into it. The best way is to just be extremely negative and try and say that it's a total lost cause: "come on guys were going to lose neway just surrender", "i have to go can we plz just end this", "they r owning us", "they r so fed thx for feeding them", "gg", etc.

Is there a good time to start a surrender vote?

Yes! Well, of course, any time is a good time for a surrender vote, but there are some times where it works better than others.

You might think that the best time would be right after losing a big battle. That's a good idea, but what if your teammates are playing well enough that you're not losing any major battles?

Ideally, you want to start a surrender vote right in the middle of a huge fight, because that surrender vote dialog popping up on the screen virtually guarantees that your teammates will get extremely distracted, and then the enemy team will stomp them, and then you're that much closer to them agreeing to a surrender! Why wait until after a huge fight to start a vote, when by starting it in the middle of a fight you can distract and discourage your teammates enough to convince them that they can't win?

I started a surrender vote, but it got voted down, then I tried to start another one, but it wouldn't let me! Help, I want out of this game!

Yes, unfortunately, it won't let you start surrender votes too often--only one every few minutes. You're going to have to be patient, but while you're waiting to start the next vote, you have plenty of time to be negative and try and talk your teammates into giving up all hope of a win.

Wait, somebody else started a surrender vote! What do I do?

You hit the "Yes" button, of course! I mean, unless you're enjoying the game and you want to keep on playing. But if that's the case, there are plenty of other guides to help you, you don't need this one.

My teammates voted down my surrender vote and now they're raging at me, calling me a "noob" and an "idiot". What do I do now?

There, there. You're not a "noob", and you're not an "idiot". You're a "quitter", and there's a huge difference.

You can't go AFK and you can't just shut down the client to leave the game, because if you do, you may get reported and get banned, and then how are you going to have the chance to join other games where you can surrender? You can't, that's how. So you have to stay in game, but maybe you can just ignore your teammates. While being negative and starting more surrender votes.

I started a surrender vote, and my teammates agreed to it, and the game just ended, just like you said! Thanks, guy who wrote the guide to surrendering!

Oh, you're welcome.

TL;DR: Type "/surrender", you're going to lose anyway, may as well save yourself some time.

Miltus

11-26-2010

+1
In before

"Forcing my team to play in a game we are extremely unlikely to win is a manly and honorable thing!"

"I''ve totally won 3v5 before!"

"Why did my team surrender?! We had a perfectly good 0.01% chance to win! NOOBZ"

VoiceOfUnreason

11-26-2010

I understand that there's some magic time when surrendering is optimal (minimum time required to earn IP? something like that), which I expected to see in this guide....

GhostDieM

11-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runix View Post
You might think that the best time would be right after losing a big battle. That's a good idea, but what if your teammates are playing well enough that you're not losing any major battles?
I stopped reading right there, because if this is the case then it means you should be winning. If not then you should stop playing and un-install the game.
Also I hate pricks that do the things you describe for the reasons you describe.

Lastly, I've been in games that seemed like a lost cause for my team right from the start only to make a counter at the 45 or 50 min mark and pushing straight for the nexus or turning the tables and ending it 10 or 15 mins later. So I'd say Never give up, never surrender!

Edit: ahaha, eat my shorts -_-

Pissfer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2010

I can basically guarantee that the best time to surrender is right at the surrender timer. This is because the only IP you are gaining after that point is another point in long hard defense per like... 3 or 4 minutes? something ridiculously pointless basically

Speaking of which, I read the first two paragraghs and thought this might be a half decent guide, then the rest of the guide proceeded to tell people how to be annoying if they don't get their way.

WithoutSkill

11-26-2010

I LoL'd.

Pissfer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2010

I found it funny.

Bravesurf

11-26-2010

Thread needs moar hits!

Runix

11-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceOfUnreason View Post
I understand that there's some magic time when surrendering is optimal (minimum time required to earn IP? something like that), which I expected to see in this guide....
I think the problem is you're thinking rationally, when surrendering is all about the emotion.

CaptnjOE

11-26-2010

Interesting, it made me "lol". What you really need to do, though, is advise the person who wants to surrender it to not trash talk his team. I will refuse to surrender (even if defeat is going to happen sooner or later) if the person who wants to stop is cussing me out non-stop, just so that I can make him wait to start a new battle. If the person has a legit reason for wanting to stop or is at least semi-polite, I'll surrender, but you won't find me surrendering if you want to be a/n (insert expletive here) to me.

Just saying, you might want to add that to your guide. 'cause I know I'm not the onlly one who feels that way.