Let's talk about Yorick

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gløry

07-02-2013

well that's disappointing. RIP cool and unique ultimate. I hope they re-use you for another champ someday. But they won't, since Yorick is apparently THE necromancer for LoL. Even though he is some random guy with a shovel that so far has only been able to bring things to life for 4-10 seconds. It just doesn't fit, Riot. The only person that ever said you HAD to make boring bruisery champ was you.

Well, I can't say I didn't try.

I want the IP I spent on Yorick back, please, if you're going to take out the reason I bought him (his ultimate).

Stashty

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimson62 View Post
In bioshock 2 after killing an enemy you can "photograph" an enemy, and you will do bonus damage to that enemy should you encounter him. This buff is removed if that enemy takes part in killing you.

The only problem with this is that snowball effects are generally frowned upon

I did some editing to clarify some of the passive's strengths. I'm not too sure if it's a great idea or not but as a Yorick player I can't help but get a bunch of creative ideas :P

Darklightning

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
Is there a way to merge these two concepts better?

I can imagine a world where Yorick's ghouls work like Zed's shadows, performing actions in sync with Yorick when he attacks. That might let us get a mixture of both worlds. Compromising is dangerous though. I feel pretty empathetic to the guys who are like "we have a ton of auto attack bruisers".

Similarly, I feel bad for people like you who have made the best by auto-attacking with Yorick a lot, making the best out of a bad situation.

What path leads to the strongest possible champion concept, with unique character, mechanics and personality?
I don't play Yorick... but I feel I have a say because the reason I don't play him is because I was excited to finally have a minion commander in LoL and that didn't happen. I cannot think of any meaningful minion commanders in the game. (Shako and LeBlanc don't count in my opinion as they are shadows of themselves. Zyra doesn't count because her plants are like a certain champions towers... again not minions. Elise doesn't count because they are mindless drones.) I expected something better to come around after the Lulu Dragon trainer skin that was lauded as a break through when it came to companions.

Bethor Kookalian

07-02-2013

Xelnath, my best opportunities for checking this thread are via phone, and I have trouble resolving the tooltip pictures. Is it possible to post txt versions as well/instead?

ArbatrazSquizz

07-02-2013

Xelnath, I know I keep barking up this tree, but with the decision effectively being made that Yorick should be a Necromancer first and foremost, is there any chance at all we could see his kit be made support-viable? There's been hints that the second support champion might not make it out the door for 2013 (I forgot which Rioter made them), and as much as I would love to get 3 supports in 2014, I don't know if I can go another 5+ months of Thresh whenever he's not banned and elsewise grabbing Nami (when she's not banned).

Don't get me wrong, I love Thresh and Nami -- but I rally see an opportunity here to make an awesome, flexible kit for Yorick that could bring a really interesting dynamic to bottom lane. And while I understand this might not be the direction you wind up going in, I for a very long time have thought support minion-spammer would be a really interesting presence in the bottom lane. I worry that Yorick might be THE minion spammer, and if he is, I would hate to see that kind of play removed as a potential playpattern for viable support.

Krimson62

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glry View Post
well that's disappointing. RIP cool and unique ultimate. I hope they re-use you for another champ someday. But they won't, since Yorick is apparently THE necromancer for LoL. Even though he is some random guy with a shovel that so far has only been able to bring things to life for 4-10 seconds. It just doesn't fit, Riot. The only person that ever said you HAD to make boring bruisery champ was you.

Well, I can't say I didn't try.

I want the IP I spent on Yorick back, please, if you're going to take out the reason I bought him (his ultimate).
Yoricks ultimate has caused more client crashes than any other ability in the game. I just don't see how his ultimate can be seen as better than say a zilean ultimate. (i understand they are different, but zileans is simply better)

If you follow the shadow isles quotes, yorick is supposed to be building the shadow isles an army of the undead. So there is a war coming, and it would be much more fun for way more people to control an army, than to clone someone else and watch as yoricks ultimate is 90% of the time used on someone else and has little to no interaction.

I'll be glad to see it go, so long as they can do his necromancy justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stashty View Post
I did some editing to clarify some of the passive's strengths. I'm not too sure if it's a great idea or not but as a Yorick player I can't help but get a bunch of creative ideas :P
It's Yorick, he's awesome in artistic design and concept. Plus he fell so short of what he was originally designed to feel like that everyone who has played him at some point has thought of ways to make him better.

Since riot is listening and truly involved this time around it's really great to see the community getting into it as well

MelloRed

07-02-2013

Quote:
Q - Spawn lots of little ghouls in an area
W - 3 Ranged Ghouls
E - Slimer from Ghostbusters
Ultimate skin #2. Ghostbuster yorick.

cderhammer

07-02-2013

Yorick Opponents:
What is the most frustrating part of facing Yorick?
-The fact that he never dies. Too much sustain, high damage output, his ult>Karthus passive.
How do you win a game against Yorick?
-Just protect your carry from him, try to out-push him in lane, get an early advantage.
What do you enjoy most about facing Yorick?
-You can all-in him at level 2 and at least force a flash.
How does Yorick lose a game?
-He can't carry a team, and his ult is really the only thing useful in a teamfight.

Luninareph

07-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
"Yorick is the necromancer champion for League of Legends. I have 50 tanky guys who auto attack. I don't have a guy who uniquely commands minions, provides awesome counterplay and fulfills the fantasy of an undead summoner.

The design space for this direction will be richer. The mechanics will be more fun and the game will be better as a whole for having a cool ghoul-commander champion.

That said, he doesn't have to be a squishy caster. Let him have lots of HP and build AD, but focus the counterplay on avoiding or shutting down his minions."
Yeeeeeeees, Xelnath! Embrace the necromancerydom! I approve >:3

GRIMThousandEyes

07-02-2013

Let me sound off here as a guy who would like a more tanky caster yorick vs a brusier.

We've got a lot of brusiers, I don't want to say making Yorick another one of these would be stale, but there are much more possibilities with his design.

To be perfectly honest I see this reworked Yorick ending up in the mid lane more than top, barring any escapes he gets. I think the only reason he gets sent top is his zoning potential because the lane is longer and you can't really zone as well in mid. When I think of a top laner I think of someone whose tanky and slippery. Currently Yorick is tanky and immovable but has no escape at all.

I have to say I absolutely agree with Morello on this. I'd really like to see a more caster oriented kit for him as I feel his ghouls are what makes him HIM. Not the fact that he's able to just run at you with tankiness. I haven't played SC2, but I personally would love for him to be a more RTS micro intensive champ, I think there's a lot of possibilities for that with his ghouls and this could solve his skill cap problems as well, in combination with adding some skill shots with commanding the ghouls maybe. This isn't to say he can't be built tanky still as Morello already said.

I think his finished product could fill a niche like Galio almost does (I'm a bit biased though because I love Galio too :P) A counter/lane bully to poke mid laners that can't handle losing poke trades. I like his lane bully atmosphere, but his zoning is too strong with no counter play. I think he could be a cool tanky ad mid laner, and where Galio brings more to a team fight with his ult Yorick with the new ult (summoning an army of ghouls) could be more 1v1 focused (I.E. whittle down the enemy by poking with skills and then zerg rushing with the ult to finish them)

As an aspiring game designer and someone who looks up to you as one I'd love to hear what you think of this Xelnath.