A pubstomping Alistar guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sumutherguy

11-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestry View Post
will try it... i use to get aspd when im bored, and now with hexdrinker (im geting it almost every late game now) i really feel i do some nice damage

i tryed the other day AP alistar. not good
Yeah, AP Alistar takes far too long to get off of the ground for me, and going that route gimps his midgame a lot. dps is cheaper to build for and will result in one doing more sustained damage in most teamfights. I've also found that AP has good burst, but still gets ignored too often while his cooldowns aren't up, which is bad for the team as the Alistar should be taking as much damage as possible.

The reason people have to target a damage Alistar is when somebody like another physical carry attacks theirs, their carry can usually fend said opponent off with their own damage. When an Alistar just stunned their team and has 75% DR, said carry doesn't really have any options for dealing with that threat on their own. Hence, this usually results in multiple members of the enemy team using their damage spells and CC on an ulti'ing Alistar, or in the enemy carry running, taking them out of the fight.

Sumutherguy

11-27-2010

Added a new alternate build.

Quote:
Shurelia's Reverie
Glacial Shroud
some MR of some sort
Yommu's

Tower crush like a baws with Yommu active while having full (or even overkill) CDR so you can pulverize over and over.
I used to go locket with Alistar, tried Reverie when it first was introduced, and have run into the same problem with both: It costs a good amount, gives no armor or MR, gives no damage apart from the CD, and isnt really that useful past laning. If i want cooldown and laning strength, then I can much more cheaply get a Spirit Visage than a Locket or Reverie, and get some more tankiness from that to boot. Youmou's is definitely a useful item on Alistar though, especially in conjunction with his ultimate. Your build might be better as follows:

Boots
Spirit Visage
Glacial Shroud
Youmou's

Spirit Visage and Glacial Shroud will give you survivability and mana that will serve you well early game, and Youmou's will give you some good damage capability, so this could be a solid and effective build, especially early and midgame.

Sumutherguy

12-01-2010

Bump: still seeing questions about Alistar builds/tactics and added Ranked results to guide. I've also been looking into Aegis of The Legion, and it may be a good item to take after trinity force, especially if the rest of one's team is dying quickly in teamfights and against AOE teams.

I'm also experimenting with the idea of adding Tiamat in the build somewhere. This may seem like a bad idea given the stigma surroudning the item, but it would go a long way towards solving Alistar's farming troubles, would allow some great laning and pushing with its health and mana regen, and would make him generally more than a threat in teamfights, especially in conjunction with sheen/TF. Why initiate then simply crit the carry for 500 when you can hit the rest of the team for 250 as well? The only trouble here is the cost, and so I will be testing it to see if this is viable and/or gives more benefit than it does harm to the build.

EDIT: nope, doesnt work, for farming at least. Might be a good late game damage boost in teamfights, but that's about it.

Wisewind

12-02-2010

This would be solid if the idea was wrecking towers but I would go about it differently, otherwise considering the tank-dps and AOE heavy metagame currently, I wouldn't suggest this.

As Forestry said having max CD's is more valuable and is the most viable way to build him.

Your job is to setup your teammates for kills or save them, nothing else.

If u want to dps hard go for maxing Headbutt first, it is devastating to squishy heroes early game when u harass them constantly with it and even takes significant health off of beefier heroes setting up your 1-2 combo with flash and ghost when you're ready for the kill.

Sumutherguy

12-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisewind View Post
This would be solid if the idea was wrecking towers but I would go about it differently, otherwise considering the tank-dps and AOE heavy metagame currently, I wouldn't suggest this.

As Forestry said having max CD's is more valuable and is the most viable way to build him.

Your job is to setup your teammates for kills or save them, nothing else.

If u want to dps hard go for maxing Headbutt first, it is devastating to squishy heroes early game when u harass them constantly with it and even takes significant health off of beefier heroes setting up your 1-2 combo with flash and ghost when you're ready for the kill.
I agree that CDR is very valuable, but maxing such out is rather easily achieved with runes/masteries and either a glacial shroud or a blue buff. Even so, against teams that arent tank-heavy teamfights are often short enough that the reduced cooldowns are still not enough to enable Alistar's combo to be effectively used twice. Thus, one builds for damage, so that during the 6-8 second wait for a new useage of pulverise or headbutt one can still be useful in a teamfight rather than doing little more than standing around with one's ult up and looking pretty. Setting up teammates for kills is absolutely vital, yes, but it helps to be able to assist through doing significant damage oneself.

Against or with a tanky team an Alistar should definitely max out CDR, but when squishies abound and teamfights are shorter, AD can be more effective.

Kyuketsuki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-02-2010

See I love locket on support and tanky/support champs, it just keeps funding your constant yeah I see what you did there and now what you did is now healed. Not to mention the cdr on locket is nothing to sneeze at.

Since you naturally get armor as you level, I started to remove a lot of armor items for MR.

Sumutherguy

12-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuketsuki View Post
See I love locket on support and tanky/support champs, it just keeps funding your constant yeah I see what you did there and now what you did is now healed. Not to mention the cdr on locket is nothing to sneeze at.

Since you naturally get armor as you level, I started to remove a lot of armor items for MR.
Wait, what? Sure, you get armor as you level, but you need significantly more than your base stat armor to be anywhere close to an effective tank. 75 armor is the standard base, and late-game physical carries can tear through that like butter. You need to build both armor and MR unless you are going against a pure physical or pure magic team. Locket is great for pushing a lane , but that's about it, and once late game arrives its proc is practically useless. There are far more cost-effective ways to get cdr, health, mana, and increased healing. (spirit visage, glacial shroud, banshees etc.)

Uqiora

12-05-2010

very useful guide.
I like the discussions about the items

Most Morgana NA

12-08-2010

W can't target minions btw, so, there's no way you can farm with it. XD

Sumutherguy

12-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrange View Post
W can't target minions btw, so, there's no way you can farm with it. XD
Wait, who thought that W could be used for farming?