Help Please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Joharassit

12-11-2009

Hello,

I am new to game & having a really hard time understanding the game, everytime I join a game, either 1 or more people are always saying please quit, noob, OMG & stuff like that, I mean come on, I just started playing & am trying to learn the game.

Can someone please give me a tip or 2 what champion to start with be it melee or ranged, thanks

Fusai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

12-12-2009

Welcome to LoL!

I personally suggest starting with a non-melee character so that you can keep your distance from the enemy champions. Dying is the easiest way to get people upset at you, and the more distance you keep between yourself and the enemy, the harder it is for them to kill you. This week I believe the available ranged characters with good auto-attacking capabilities are Tristana and Twitch.

Morgana is also available this week and is also ranged, but she is much more reliant on casting spells than on auto-attacking. I mention her because I stunk with the first few characters I tried (Tristana included), but did well with Morgana. Part of the reason is because Morgana is good at "farming"--killing the enemy's normal troops to earn gold--which lets you keep up with the veteran players in terms of money. If you cast her Tormented Soil (the W ability) on a group of minions, you'll have a good chance of killing a few and earning gold. Sivir, who is available in the next batch of champions, is also a good farmer and a ranged attacker.

Do not die early. Do not die often. Staying alive will go a long way toward silencing the rude comments.

Rectal Necrosis

12-12-2009

Fusai... that last line sounded like a quote from valve's "meet the sniper"

Be polite, be efficient, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

AmyOverlord

12-12-2009

Personal preference.

Good ones to start with would be Master Yi, Ashe, or Twitch.

Yi because he's got great damage and movement speed. Couple that with his skill passive, and he can dish out a lot of damage. He also has high attack speed. His ultimate allows him to increase his movement speed substantially and it's impossible to stun/slow him during his ultimate. He also attacks twice as fast.

Ashe is a carry, which means that they can carry the tema to victory. If you're not ganked constantly, Ashe can farm vast amounts of money and make herself powerful. Her skills make it easier.

Frost Shot allows you to spam it on an opposing Hero and keeps them within your range until they die or you retreat.
Volley is a great farming skill, just very mana costly. >.>
Plentiful Bounty allows 1gold extra gained from any kill per level (5g per kill at max).
Enchanted Crystal Arrow is great. It can go from one side of the map to the other, literally. It also does 250 -> 425 -> 500 or something. o.o 500 at max, stuns them for up to 4.5 seconds. So..yeah.

Twitch is great because he naturally has high attack speed and his passive allows his poison to continiously stack up to 6 times.

He has stealth, which allows you to go anywhere undetected for a certain amount of time, depending on the level of stealth. It also increases your attack speed (which also increases per level) based on the amount of time stealthed.
He has a poison based slow. Which slows your enemy by 20% with an added 10% for each stack of poison. For a max of 80% slow. :3
Then he has Expunge Poison, which deals damage with the skill itself, but with ADDED damage based on the amount of stacks of poison.
His ultimate sucks. It's just a AS increase that are cone missiles. :|

Fusai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekmaster View Post
Fusai... that last line sounded like a quote from valve's "meet the sniper"

Be polite, be efficient, be professional, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Lol, I hadn't seen that video before. Thanks for giving me enough to google it. I had a different game in my head at the time: Monopoly.

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Rectal Necrosis

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusai View Post
Lol, I hadn't seen that video before. Thanks for giving me enough to google it. I had a different game in my head at the time: Monopoly.

Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.
That works too XD

But yeah, we're getting off topic. Basically, go on the database and pick the person who's easiest to learn. I know it sounds like I'm babying you, but before you pick your main learn the mechanics. People like Ryze and Ashe are there to teach you how to play.

Basilisk9466

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyOverlord View Post
Twitch is great because he naturally has high attack speed and his passive allows his poison to continiously stack up to 6 times.

He has stealth, which allows you to go anywhere undetected for a certain amount of time, depending on the level of stealth. It also increases your attack speed (which also increases per level) based on the amount of time stealthed.
He has a poison based slow. Which slows your enemy by 20% with an added 10% for each stack of poison. For a max of 80% slow. :3
Then he has Expunge Poison, which deals damage with the skill itself, but with ADDED damage based on the amount of stacks of poison.
His ultimate sucks. It's just a AS increase that are cone missiles. :|
Twitch's ultimate does not suck. It's insane if you put a little thought into using it... but that's a topic of much debate.

Going back to the OP, I wouldn't recommend Twitch. He's harder than he sounds, and is one of the squishiest champions out there. In terms of currently available champs for this week, I'd go with Tristana, Master Yi or Nunu.

Tristana's range and fairly straightforward skillset makes her pretty easy to pick up, just stay back a bit, play defensively and shoot anything that gets too close.

Master Yi, once you get the hang of how Alpha Strike works, is a very forgiving melee character for the early game, and meditate lets you regen health nicely without going back to base. Yes, most guides suggest leaving meditate until last, but for a new player, I'd suggest grabbing it to mitigate your mistakes. Later on, you can do a lot of damage and are excellent for chasing down enemies fleeing from a team fight.

Nunu is tough as sin - he's the only mage that's classed as a tank, I believe. He's got a lot of HP, and even though he's melee, his ice blast spell makes most opponents wary of getting too close. Blood Boil allows him to move around shockingly fast, and Consume keeps him in his lane nicely. Just make good use of his passive ability to begin with, and be smart about positioning when it comes to using his ultimate.

In terms of general tips, don't go off on your own. Stick with your team, don't chase off after random opponents if they're pulling back - it could be a trap. Better you survive than they die. Watch the minimap like a hawk to see where your opposition is, and if you can't see them, be doubly careful. And lastly, try and learn at least generally what all the champions do.

Joharassit

12-13-2009

Thanks all for the replies, they will help a ton