Suggestion - Anti-Snowball items

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

renticletape

Senior Member

12-12-2009

The snow-ball items are an interesting concept but snowball games are never fun for both the winning or loosing team. I thought it might be interesting to include some Anti-Snowball items that gain charges or have positive effects from death. These items could help turn around a stomp fest into a close match and give less incentive to quickly surrender after loosing the first few team battles. These items could also counter repeated ganks on weak players.

For example, some items could have the following effects.
- X gold gain on death.
- X EXP gain on death.
- X base health increased on death.
- X base mana increased on death.
- X AOE heal/Mana restore to allies on death.

The bonuses shouldn't be very large per charge, but have very high caps so if someone is 0-10, they will still have a chance to be useful and not completely shut down out of the game. However there should be some mechanic in place such as not giving the bonuses to minion or tower kills to prevent people from mass suiciding to get up all the charges. Also the bonuses should always be less than to the gains anyone would get from killing you so if you are intentionally feeding to get charges, it will still benefit the opposing team better than yourself.

The reason I suggested this is because 90% of all games i play tend to be stomps, one way or the other. Only close matches or games with amazing comebacks tend to be the most intense or fun games I have played.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dr Niles Aquatic

Senior Member

12-12-2009

It's an interesting idea, but Riot won't go for it, simply because they are intent on making games shorter.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JayceJa

Member

12-12-2009

snowballing is required for balance, anti-snowballing items are very bad for balance


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Patyrn

Senior Member

12-12-2009

Quote:
snowballing is required for balance, anti-snowballing items are very bad for balance
That's a pretty bold statement with no argument at all to back it up.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JayceJa

Member

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post
That's a pretty bold statement with no argument at all to back it up.
lack of snowballing empowers late game carries while lowering the importance and impact of early game champions

in addition to being bad for balance, it lowers skill differentiation in the game if a team that lost all early game still can easily win late game

snowballing is very good and needed for real competitive play


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

renticletape

Senior Member

12-12-2009

Snowballing is not good for balance. And it does not lead to shorter games unless its a 25 min surrender. Imagine you are running in a race, but the person who is in the lead gets to drive a car... How would that be balanced?

Many snow balling games that don't end up being a 25 min surrender end up being a 50 min turtle until everyone is lvl 18 before the turtling team decides to try to push. Anti-snow ball items would help this occur faster thus reducing the time it takes to turtle until you catch up to the opposing team and have a chance at winning/loosing depending on how the team battle at baron goes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JayceJa

Member

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by renticletape View Post
Snowballing is not good for balance. And it does not lead to shorter games unless its a 25 min surrender. Imagine you are running in a race, but the person who is in the lead gets to drive a car... How would that be balanced?

Many snow balling games that don't end up being a 25 min surrender end up being a 50 min turtle until everyone is lvl 18 before the turtling team decides to try to push. Anti-snow ball items would help this occur faster thus reducing the time it takes to turtle until you catch up to the opposing team and have a chance at winning/loosing depending on how the team battle at baron goes.
that's a problem with the attacking team itself wanting to muck around and not win, not the flow of the game

doing this would make that WORSE, because the attacking team is less able to finish when they did try

also, your last bit shows the exact problem with not snowballing, if i win all of early game, i don't deserve to lose because of one lost team battle at baron, when i may have won 5 team battles earlier

games that can swing a lot may be a little more interesting, but are BAD for balance, and BAD for competitiveness


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Strawbrrymlk

Senior Member

12-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayceJa View Post
that's a problem with the attacking team itself wanting to muck around and not win, not the flow of the game

doing this would make that WORSE, because the attacking team is less able to finish when they did try

also, your last bit shows the exact problem with not snowballing, if i win all of early game, i don't deserve to lose because of one lost team battle at baron, when i may have won 5 team battles earlier

games that can swing a lot may be a little more interesting, but are BAD for balance, and BAD for competitiveness
/signed


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BM Aphotix

Member

12-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by renticletape View Post
Snowballing is not good for balance. And it does not lead to shorter games unless its a 25 min surrender. Imagine you are running in a race, but the person who is in the lead gets to drive a car... How would that be balanced?
Really? LOL!

Do players level up during a foot race? Do they gain gold to buy a better pair of shoes during a race? Is there a huge base near the goal which they have to destory? That maight be the worst analogy I've ever read.

Just read your own post before you submit it. It would do this forum a world of good. (Not to single you out, I mean in general.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kingreaper

Senior Member

12-15-2009

Sorry Renticle, but the thing about the race analogy is it shows precisely why snowballing IS needed.


Imagine you were running in a race, and the winner wasn't decided by who ran the distance fastest.

Instead, you ran for 40 minutes, and then whoever was running fastest in the final minute won.


That's LoL without snowballing.
If the team that does better at the beginning doesn't have an advantage later, what DO they have?
Levels? No, that's an advantage.
Gold? No, that's an advantage.
Towers down? No, that's an advantage.


Snowballing is an important part of this game.



In basketball, if you switch over the two teams at half time (without telling them beforehand), they should be equally likely to win in the end.

In LoL, when should that "half-time" point be?


12