[Guide] Bich's Guide to Tryndamere "King of this patch"

12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bich

12-12-2009

Quote:
**This Guide is OLD, Dead and Obsolete**
Feel free to skim it for a look at how the game played in December or for comedic relief.
Hello, Bich here with my guide to the new broken Tryndamere (as of version 1.0.0.61). As most of you know, Tryndamere was revamped with the latest patch, and to be blunt he's a monster and could be considered overpowered by many players. What better reason to play him?

Contents:

I. Abilities
II. Masteries
III. Runes
IV. Summoner Spells
V. Item Build/Skill Build
VI. Early Game
VII. Middle Game
VIII. Late Game

Disclaimer

Tryndamere was revamped this patch. Among other things, blood lust is much easier to stack by getting critical hits. Critical hits also reduce the spinning slash cool down. Cleanse has been revamped, it now gives two seconds of immunity to CC, this is one of the major reasons Tryndamere, and possibly several other characters are considerably stronger this patch. Tryndamere's ultimate is now considerably harder to shut down and kiting him is incredibly difficult even with a CC team. If Tryndamere or Cleanse receive a nerf next patch, which is likely, this guide will most likely be irrelevant.

I. Abilities

xBattle Fury
(Passive)
Increases Tryndamere's Critical Chance by 0.3/0.4/0.5% per 1% Health he is missing

xBloodlust
(Q)
Tryndamere thrives on the thrills of combat. Whenever Tryndamere kills a unit he temporarily gains increased attack Speed and critical strike chance.

Bloodlust now activates on critical strikes as well as kills
Bloodlust now provides 4 Attack Damage and 1.5/2.25/3/3.75/4.5% Critical Damage per stack
Bloodlust Cooldown changed to 12 from 30/25/20/15/10
Bloodlust Heal reduced to 10/20/30/40/50 per stack from 90 + 30/45/60/75/90 per stack
Each time you gain Bloodlust for the first time, you gain 2 stacks instead of 1

Cooldown 30 seconds
Cost No Cost
Range 319

xMocking Shout (W)
Tryndamere lets out an insulting cry, decreasing surrounding champions' physical damage. Enemies with their backs turned to Tryndamere also have their movement speed slowed. Decreases surrounding champions' physical damage by 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100, and enemies with their backs turned also have their movement speed slowed by 20 / 30 / 40 / 50 / 60%. Lasts 5 seconds.

Cooldown 14 seconds
Costs 20/25/30/35/40 Health
Range 400

xSpinning Slash (E)
Tryndamere slices toward a target unit, dealing damage to enemies in his path. Tryndamere spins through his enemies, doing 60/105/150/195/240 + 50% of Tryndamere's Attack Damage

Cooldown 9 seconds
Cost Costs 40/50/60/70/80 Health
Range 660

xUndying Rage (R)
Tryndamere's lust for battle becomes so strong that he is unable to die, no matter how wounded he becomes. Tryndamere becomes completely immune to death for 6 seconds, refusing to be reduced below 1 health. His abilities have no cost during this time and he gains 4 / 6 / 8 Bloodlust stacks.
If Tryndamere is below 5% health when Undying Rage ends, it will heal him to 5%

Cooldown 120/100/80
Cost No Cost
Range Global

II. Masteries

21/8/1 This should be self explanatory.

Offense (21)
3/3: Deadliness
3/3: Archmage's Savvy
4/4: Alacrity
3/3: Sunder
1/2: Offensive Mastery
3/3: Brute Force
3/3: Lethality
1/1: Havoc

Defense (8)
3/3: Hardiness
1/3: Resistance
4/4: Evasion

Utility (1)
1/1: Haste

III. Runes

Tier 3 Runes are always recommended.

Marks

9/9 Desolation (Armor Pen)

Seals

9/9 Vitality (Health/level)

Glyphs

9/9 Furor (Critical Damage)

Quintessences

3/3 Fortitude (Health) * Recommended

or

2/3 Furor (Critical Damage)
1/3 Desolation (Armor Pen)

IV. Summoner Spells

In my experience, there are no better or more viable summoner spells for Tryndamere. Choose different spells at your own risk. Encourage your team to have at least one rally and if possible a good player with clairvoyance.

Cleanse - Can be used to guarantee your ultimate will go off or to be unstoppable while you charge the enemy line, bypass the tank and crush the carries.

Ghost - Used in combination with cleanse to reach and stay on your target even if its far behind the enemy tank line or to get away from a potentially deadly situation.

V. Item and Skill Progression

Skills

Blood Lust
Spinning Slash
Mocking Shout
Blood Lust
Blood Lust
Undying Rage
Blood Lust
Mocking Shout
Blood Lust
Mocking Shout
Undying Rage
Mocking Shout
Mocking Shout
Spinning Slash
Spinning Slash
Undying Rage
Spinning Slash
Spinning Slash

Starting Items - I play mostly top 200 games, it is common for a level 1 fight to occur, but I still find these starter items good for direct laning if used in the way I describe in secion VI.

1x Elixir of Agility
5x Health Potion

Item Build 1

Avarice Blade
Avarice Blade
Berserker Greaves
Phage
Zeal
Zeal->Phantom Dancer
Phage->Frozen Mallet

*Change: Use this build if you lack HP runes, the enemy has several squishy AP carries or you are being focused constantly.

Item Build 2

Avarice
Avarice
Greaves
Avarice
BF Sword
Cloak
Pickaxe
Infinity Edge

Standard Infinity Edge Rush if you've been fed, aren't being focuses or playing heavy burst, or if oyu are comfortable with your base hp from runes.

Late Game Items

Life Steal - If no one else on your team has opted to buy a stark's fervor, rare in my games.
Sell one Avarice Blade to afford Cloak of Agility
Sell one Avarice Blade to Finish Infinity Edge

VI. Early Game

As I mentioned above, most games I partake in usually involve some sort of level one engagement, either counter-lizard or Dragon. Have your teammate with Clairvoyance scout the enemy team at their base to see where they are heading. If you're on Blue Team scout purple golem with the next clairvoyance. If you're on Purple Team scout blue lizard with your next clairvoyance.

If an engagement occurs pop your agility elixir and focus the closest target to your team regardless of hp. Don't forget to use HP potions if you get hit. One crit at this level will change the entire outcome of this fight. Make sure you nor your teammates ever chase any target in a level one fight as you'll be spread out and surely die. If your target runs before you can kill it switch again to the nearest target. Continue to do so until all targets have run away or are dead. Never chase, and always run if you are the focus of the enemy team. It can be very beneficial to use your cleanse and ghost in this fight as it will give you a huge upper hand in mobility.

If your team chooses to lane immediately or there is no level one engagement then save your elixir. Tryndamere can either solo middle or play in a duo lane. Because Tryndamere hits hard use this to score last hits on enemy creeps without fail. If you are harassed spam Q every time its up to heal and liberally use your hp potions as they become obsolete fast.

At level 4 you should have 2 ranks of blood lust (a reasonably good self heal) 1 rank of mocking shout and 1 rank of spinning slash. If you are laning against an enemy with low base health or that has been harassed use your elixir, spinning slash, mocking shout and hope to crit. If you don't get a crit rather quickly you can disengage and try again. This should scare your enemy and if done right you will either get first blood or keep your enemy away from the creep xp line therefor denying them xp and gold.

At level 5 you should have a third point into bloodlust. If no opportunity has presented itself to kill the enemy in your lane go buy an avarice blade, run to lizard, pop your elixir and kill lizard. Don't forget to use Q to heal yourself during and after the fight so you don't lose too much hp. Look for the lowest hp or most pushed up enemy and score a kill. If done right you can easily kill one or two people in a duo lane and begin three man pushing the tower. Alternatively, if you prefer, wait until level 6 before doing this, however you now have to contend with enemy ultimates and if done correctly you shouldn't have needed yours in the first place.

By now, usually 10 minutes or so into the game you should have at minimum one kill, if not two or 3, and should be in possession of two avarice blades. It is important to get these ASAP as the longer you have them the more money they will generate. You should also hopefully have normal boots and should be working on Berserkers Greaves.

This concludes the early game.

VII. Middle Game

Middle game to me commences between 10 and 15 minutes in as it isn't uncommon for a game to only last 25 to 35 minutes. In middle game you should be looking to gank a lane and help push its tower. Hopefully your team has destroyed at least one turret by now and is beginning to roam together.

You should be working on a phage now, this will increase your base hp considerably, giving you a good buffer to fight with. Once phage is complete you should consider rolling another elixir of agility.

At this stage in the game you will be looking to kill the enemy's hardest hitting, and hopefully squishiest carry. Since most fights now will involve 5v5 or similar scenarios try to have ghost and cleanse up to bypass the enemy tank line. If you have an elixir popped you should absolutely destroy most soft characters. It is important to get as many kills as possibly even if you sacrafice yourself for 2 or 3 and win the fight while dieing. Tryndamere can be a very all or nothing kind of character, but in general you should not die more than 3 or 4 times in a good game.

After the first 5v5 engagement you should have gotten at minimum one if not 2+ kills. Use this money to buy your zeal and if necessary refresh your elixir of agility. If the enemy team has a stealth carry this is a good time to buy an oracle's elixir.

Usually by this point in my game someone else has a stark's fervor, which means I don't usually focus on life steal. However, if no one else has stark's you may want to begin building one as you transition into the late game.

Tower diving can be done after level 6. It is highly recommended to have ghost and cleanse available when tower diving as sometimes your ultimate alone will not buy you enough time. Solo tower diving may work in some situations but having teammates is advised.

VIII. Late Game

Late game will be 20 to 25 minutes in. By now you should have two avarice blades, berserker greaves, phage and zeal as well as an active elixir of agility. Continue to roam with your team pushing towers or engaging team fights as before. Do not forget to get your neutrals or help your teammates get theirs. Constantly look to solo or group farm dragon.

Have your teammate with clairvoyance scout the enemy team out, or look for active neutrals.

You should soon be on your way to a Phantom Dancer. Some people will be asking by now, wheres your infinity edge. And my response is, after many games played I find that phantom dancer's overall stats are more beneficial as you'll be critting 80% of the time and very fast for 300-500 damage depending on the enemy and your runes. You should however be seeking out an infity egde and selling off your avarice blades at this point.

Just like in middle game, use your cleanse and ghost to get personal with enemy carries. Finish them quickly. A good Ace 20 to 25 minutes in can lead to a middle->nexus push victory. If you're uncomfortable with this, try killing baron after an ace or pushing another lane.

It is imperative at this point in the game to have vision on either the enemy team or baron. If you can, grab a couple of wards, ward baron and dragon and keep an eye out for easy solo kills or opportunistic team fights. Most games that have not been decided by the early game snowball effect will be dcided by winning fights at this stage.

Again, if the enemy team has a stealth carry you should have an oracle's elixir. Tryndamere is highly effective at killing stealth carries because they rely mostly on stealth and little on hp, chasing them down and ending them with 2 shots is not only beneficial to your team but is also great fun.

Conclusion

So in conclusion, Tryndamere is very strong, probably stronger than he should be at the current time. This is due to a combination of changes in his design as well as the new cleanse.

This guide was written more so for high Elo play as teams tend to be more organized. However, smashing low Elo should be pretty easily doable as well.

Although you can just go about smashing anything you see, if you play Tryndamere with some focus and direction you will easily be the deciding factor in many team fights and overall the outcome of the game.

Bich

12-12-2009

**Update 12/16/09**

So I've decided to update the guide a little bit.

Changes:

Added new item builds for different rune setups or opponents and described why I like them.
Hopefully this will satisfy some of the guide's critics, as i think the guide itself is fine.

If you have another Build suggestion leave it as a reply and give reasons why it works or in what situations you run it.

Brucebunny

12-12-2009

I hate to give it away but here you go. 3x avarice, greaves, last whisper, inf edge, blood thirster, games over and a half.

Bich

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebunny View Post
I hate to give it away but here you go. 3x avarice, greaves, last whisper, inf edge, blood thirster, games over and a half.
Im glad its that easy in your bracket :x

Brucebunny

12-12-2009

It's that easy in every bracket. Seeing as 3 avarice blades before 10 minutes is godly on any carry anyhow.

Bich

12-12-2009

Quote:
It's that easy in every bracket. Seeing as 3 avarice blades before 10 minutes is godly on any carry anyhow.
Interesting, because where I play getting 3 avarice blades in 10 minutes can be quite difficult because getting the ammount of kills you're implying is highly unlikely when you play against any relatively good lineups/partial/full premades.

Brucebunny

12-12-2009

Not my fault if you can't run around and last hit creeps. My guess is you stand there like a ******.

Bich

12-12-2009

Quote:
Not my fault if you can't run around and last hit creeps. My guess is you stand there like a ******.
Last post in regards to your trolling. Yes, you're correct I don't last hit, I just stand around and watch my team win 90% of the games I play and that's why I play with recognized members of the community. I'm sorry if this is out of your scope. I am in no means saying Tryndamere is difficult, if you happen to read the post you'll recognize I'm actually saying the opposite and doing what you imply is viable, in no-name/casual brackets. Next time you post try using a real account also =)

In addition, I'm not sure what creeps you're last hitting but without a kill in 10 minutes last hitting 3x750g (2250 G) seems pretty awesome. Especially since melee characters have such a huge harassing advantage to drive the enemy player away for you to just last hit and do nothing else.

wildfire393

12-12-2009

One thing to note is that you have his old abilities listed here (probably copy/pasted from the directory) and not this patch's abilities.

Is it really worthwhile to buy an avarice blade rather than just buying a Cloak of Agility? Or even if the first is worthwhile, odds are the second one is not, especially if your games are ending by the 20-25 minute mark. It will have just barely paid itself off at this point. Agility does more Crit% and builds into the Inf Edge, making it overall more valuable. I honestly wouldn't buy a second blade unless I somehow had the funds by 7 minutes.

Bich

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfire393 View Post
One thing to note is that you have his old abilities listed here (probably copy/pasted from the directory) and not this patch's abilities.

Is it really worthwhile to buy an avarice blade rather than just buying a Cloak of Agility? Or even if the first is worthwhile, odds are the second one is not, especially if your games are ending by the 20-25 minute mark. It will have just barely paid itself off at this point. Agility does more Crit% and builds into the Inf Edge, making it overall more valuable. I honestly wouldn't buy a second blade unless I somehow had the funds by 7 minutes.
Thanks, I did just copy/paste the skills, I will update them. I'm not big on this part of any guide however it seems to be a standard. In regards to avarice blades, I usually do have the funds for 2 of them and normal boots by 10 minutes. Also just because many games end at 25 (surrender) or 35 (victory) not all do. Therefore, the avarice blades will pay off in long games and the 24% crit can be obtained faster than the 18% of a cloak. While you may argue cloak is part of an infinity edge, I generally don't get to see an infinity edge because of my item lineup. As stated in the guide I find the PD more useful in the games I play for mobility, dodge, crit and attack speed than an infinity edge. I find this has a lot to do with my runes as well, not everyone has experienced a crit dmg, armor pen book with a heavy physical carry.

Edit: Hopefully the skills section is more up to date. Also, a cloak can be used to build the PD (860 G for the cloak vs 750g each for avarice), if that was part of what you were saying. However, I still prefer the avarice blades in the longer games as they will pay off, and I get more crit in the immediate early game. I revised this from 3 avarice blades (which I used to use) due to it being very difficult to obtain 3 before 12 minutes and 3, as you mentioned, would not pay off in the time frame most games take place.

12345 ... 10