Is HoN for me?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

11-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchovies View Post
I wonder where you get your numbers from. If you log into HoN, you will see in the top right the number of players that are concurrently logged into the game. Just this past weekend, the number of concurrent players reached an all time high of 37.5k (the retail concurrent number was about 25k). This indicates that HoN is still growing more than 6 months after release. For a game that has a one-off cost, this is pretty impressive. I would like to compare HoN numbers with LoL numbers, but as you know, Riot chooses not to reveal theirs.

As much as you would enjoy seeing HoN die, please don't make up lies to try and trash HoN because it's reflects rather poorly on the LoL community.
We know there's over 3million players, as of many many months ago. We can also REALLY easily estimate relative popularity from Xfire, google tracker, etc. etc.
:]
Quote:
Originally Posted by owninoobs View Post
Learn to read bro, this is on the 2nd page.
Learn to read bro, this is in the passage you quoted:

Sho, uhm, I'm the smurf of a player who's in the top .00001% of SC2, and I'm telling you that game is unbalanced and uncompetitive and all my opponents suck. Trust me, because I'm in the top .00001%

Look, that's just as verifiable as your post. But you should believe me, because... uhm... you should. I said numbers that are, despite being incorrect on multiple levels (again, l2math) very pretty sounding. So therefore I'm right. How DARE you suggest it's possible to lie over the internets?

Quote:
Complexities of HoN include:
Last Hitting
Creep Denying
Rune control
Tower Denying
Creep Pulling
Creep Stacking
Creep Blocking
Warding
Counter-warding
Teamfight positioning
Fog of War mechanics
Juking
Alright, first of all, there is most certainly counterwarding in league :] Oracle clearage is a risky decision, but a very strong one. same with vision vs sight.
Beyond that though... y'know, there was actually a thread on this exact topic a while ago... I feel that a lot of these fall into a sorta "not actually playing the game" skill. I'll get back to that later.

first of all, denying: It's... different... in HoN. Anyone who argues that there's no denying in League is a bit crazy though. It's just different. HoN, generally (Correct me if I'm wrong, but from watching it played and playing it myself, this is what I get from it) has sturdier champions early in the game, at least in champ vs champ situations: Harass is a bit weaker (Except for some specific champions) while flat out kills are more possible. That creates a dynamic where, IN RANGED V RANGED lanes, there really isn't much boxing out possible: You just wouldn't see someone like mundo boxing out behind the creeps to deny exp/ gold: that's just not nearly as possible. So, rather then that, you have... well, denying. but, I mean... yeah. Hell, one of the current complaints I'm seeing on the judicator boards (And I don't totally agree with this btw, but it's definitely a valid opinion) is that it's too EASY to deny: Mundo mordekaiser Garen Kennan etc. just make it essentially impossible to get anywhere near the creep wave if played well.

Also, GP, but that's being nitpicky.

Creep Pulling, Stacking, Blocking is I feel one of those skills that isn't actually a gameplay skill, it's a metagame skill. Like... how to put it. Once you've learned creep pulling, you've learned it. It's a mini skill cliff rather then part of any particular skill curve. There's no advancement to it:You can either do it, or you can't. Same with stacking. Are there "pro" creep stackers? No, not really, as it's just a formula.
Blocking I feel suffers from distracting from the actual game. Do they affect the game? Yes. Could you put in a DDR minigame that you can do at the start of the game to make your creeps stack? Yep. Would it accomplish the exact same thing? Yep. Would it be in any way useful outside of that situation? No, not really. When you're creep blocking, you're not exactly playing HoN, you're playing creep blocking, the minigame, which...well, is creep blocking, the minigame.

But I guess that's sorta getting off point, and suffering from the exact same thing I complained about, using my opinion. So here's what I'm trying to say: The points can be debated ad infinitum, because they are, at their base, opinions on how a game should be played. However the only way to really state a game's competitive value is, like it or not, the tournaments. Which is why your list of tourneys was good: Right now, HoN is played competitively more than league is. Hopefully, the new forums will change that. We'll see.

Twilexia

11-22-2010

i watched some hon and it just looks like a bunch of fat bugs running around...

Ryncwind

11-22-2010

This thread lost all its original meaning.

Please stop, everybody.

Ruby Larkspur

11-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchovies View Post
I wonder where you get your numbers from. If you log into HoN, you will see in the top right the number of players that are concurrently logged into the game. Just this past weekend, the number of concurrent players reached an all time high of 37.5k (the retail concurrent number was about 25k). This indicates that HoN is still growing more than 6 months after release. For a game that has a one-off cost, this is pretty impressive. I would like to compare HoN numbers with LoL numbers, but as you know, Riot chooses not to reveal theirs.

As much as you would enjoy seeing HoN die, please don't make up lies to try and trash HoN because it's reflects rather poorly on the LoL community.
I didn't say HoN's playerbase was decreasing, I said the number of incoming new players decreased since retail, so HoN's playerbase IS still increasing, albeit slowly but still...