MM: Bad or Terrible?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheYetimeister

12-11-2009

I've read where the MM is explained and it sounds great. I wish that was the case. My story is not one of 50/50 chances or even relatively close. I've played 5-6 games with two of my WoW friends who decided to try this game, me being the only one to ever play DoTA and even I played only several times. Since we've begun playing we've been paired again competitors that are level 20, and teammates complaining of feeding. I understand I and my teammates are completely noob and do not understand how we are being paired against people who have 100-200 games of experience compared to our 5? Can someone shine some light on this, is the only way to play really only solo until we all get our feet wet and hope by then our premade team is a little more balanced? The MM is assuming because we are a premade that we are above our actual skill level and it doesn't seem to be "losing points" to "balance it out".

UrsaMinor

12-11-2009

I'm pretty sure you weren't playing against 20's because many people are still exploring this game with their premade friends from dota. But if you were playing against 20's, I think it would be from low population at the time.
I'm level 5 and I was just in a game against a premade that seemed like they should of been playing ranked matches with higher levels. We got utterly slaughtered because of stupidity on our team. It should balance out after a while.
You should also remember that this is very hard game to pick up and if people know stuff that you don't, you will die from 5 man ganks.

Lordi17

12-12-2009

There are practice games. Go to "PLAY" and then "Practice & Bot Game" you will find a Lobby with servers. You can host your own "noob only" game or join another. Just as easy as it should be.

Daikaze

12-12-2009

It's because you are a premade team and thus considered to have an advantage. To top it off it brings you out of the newbie island, where matchmaking pits new players against other new players.

Janis

12-12-2009

I wouldn't know because 75% of the time I disconnect mid game and don't get back in.

TheYetimeister

12-13-2009

Thank you all for your responses, it may have been due to low population and it was indeed two level 20's, granted they put a 17 & 14 on our team but with 3 extreme beginners the other two couldn't handle them. Custom games is a good alternative and glad you brought it up. Had played a few by myself but hadn't thought about creating a noob only one and having the power to boot higher levels. Thanks again guys. Their matchmaking needs some work it's very discouraging.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

12-14-2009

You have a number of factors working against you:

1: You are premaking when you would otherwise be sheltered in newb island. This kicks you out of playing with anyone below level 12.

2: Since your Elos are low (since you should be in newb island), you are in games with other people of low Elos, not low level. This means you can play against level 30s (who are really bad), but you still have to go up against their numerical level advantages while being new yourself. Not a fun situation.

MM 2.0 will solve most of these issues, but it's not quite ready yet. Sorry for your inconvenience and I do recommend the practice games.

TheYetimeister

12-14-2009

Thanks Jozrael, That clears up my understanding of how the system works a little more. The practice games are definitely where I'll be going at least until we gain some skill or MM 2.0 comes out!