Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Borderless and Windowed Mode

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elunes

05-28-2013

I have 2 monitors and I want to use 1 screen for the game and 1 screen for the guide.
I tried full screen and the result is that when I try to command+tab out, the game screen minimizes for me in order to use the Safari screen.

I tried windowed mode - it works as I wanted but for the game screen, I cannot scroll down. It seems like the game screen is missing a bit at the bottom - disabling me to scroll the screen down.

I tried the borderless - it's almost the same as the full screen. The game screen minimizes before I can actually use the Safari page.

Anyone can help me with this? I want to have the game running on one screen and still be able to use the second screen for Safari.

Thank you in advance!

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

05-28-2013

You're going to want to use Borderless mode with a resolution the same as your screen.

Can you describe this in more detail?
I tried the borderless - it's almost the same as the full screen. The game screen minimizes before I can actually use the Safari page.

I'm having a hard time understanding the problem you're seeing. If I have safari open on my secondary monitor I can still see it while in borderless mode.

Dataslave

Adjudicator

05-28-2013

While you are able to view content on the secondary monitor, you are unable to interact with it without first minimizing the game or hitting esc.

Fullscreen and Borderless are nearly identical, and this is a bad thing; There should be clear tradeoffs to each mode.

Both Modes:
- Completely hide the game when you hit cmd+tab
- Capture the mouse cursor, to prevent it moving to the secondary monitor. (This makes camera scrolling using the edge of the screen possible.)
- If you hit esc (bringing up the options menu), you are able to move your mouse to the secondary monitor, but it remains styled as a LoL cursor. You are able to use the mousewheel to scroll through content, and you can right-click. Pressing esc again returns the mouse cursor to LoL.

Fullscreen:
- If you hit esc, and move your mouse to the secondary monitor, you are able to left click on content. If you click on an input field (web browser search bar), the cursor will appear, but you are unable to use the keyboard to enter text.

Borderless
- If you hit esc, and move your mouse to the secondary monitor, left clicking will minimize LoL.

When I think Borderless, I mean exactly how Blizzard handles Borderless Windowed Mode: when you hit cmd+tab, the game keeps running on your primary monitor, but is displayed behind whatever programs you open in the foreground. See the attached screenshot for an example. This allows you to multitask while still paying attention to the game (great for those 5 minute champion loading screens)

The closest thing LoL has to this is Windowed mode, which has a hefty performance hit for many users (25% for me). This mode is also a bit flawed, as its highest selectable resolution is the same as your monitor's resolution (assuming you run your desktop at the max resolution). This, combined with the OSX menu bar, ends up pushing the LoL window down 40 pixels, and cuts off the bottom 40 pixels of the LoL window.

If you edit your resolution manually using the cfg file, you can add a custom resolution that is equal to horizontal x vertical-40, but this should honestly be a default resolution in-game.

borderless_example.jpg

Greyfauxx

Recruiter

05-28-2013

Quote:
Dataslave:
While you are able to view content on the secondary monitor, you are unable to interact with it without first minimizing the game or hitting esc.

Fullscreen and Borderless are nearly identical, and this is a bad thing; There should be clear tradeoffs to each mode.

Both Modes:
- Completely hide the game when you hit cmd+tab
- Capture the mouse cursor, to prevent it moving to the secondary monitor. (This makes camera scrolling using the edge of the screen possible.)
- If you hit esc (bringing up the options menu), you are able to move your mouse to the secondary monitor, but it remains styled as a LoL cursor. You are able to use the mousewheel to scroll through content, and you can right-click. Pressing esc again returns the mouse cursor to LoL.

Fullscreen:
- If you hit esc, and move your mouse to the secondary monitor, you are able to left click on content. If you click on an input field (web browser search bar), the cursor will appear, but you are unable to use the keyboard to enter text.

Borderless
- If you hit esc, and move your mouse to the secondary monitor, left clicking will minimize LoL.

When I think Borderless, I mean exactly how Blizzard handles Borderless Windowed Mode: when you hit cmd+tab, the game keeps running on your primary monitor, but is displayed behind whatever programs you open in the foreground. See the attached screenshot for an example. This allows you to multitask while still paying attention to the game (great for those 5 minute champion loading screens)

The closest thing LoL has to this is Windowed mode, which has a hefty performance hit for many users (25% for me). This mode is also a bit flawed, as its highest selectable resolution is the same as your monitor's resolution (assuming you run your desktop at the max resolution). This, combined with the OSX menu bar, ends up pushing the LoL window down 40 pixels, and cuts off the bottom 40 pixels of the LoL window.

If you edit your resolution manually using the cfg file, you can add a custom resolution that is equal to vertical-40 x horizontal, but this should honestly be a default resolution in-game.

Wow very thorough and informative. o - o

buttbuddynumba1

10-19-2013

Quote:
Brentmeister:

I'm having a hard time understanding the problem you're seeing. If I have safari open on my secondary monitor I can still see it while in borderless mode.

Going to want to bump this post. While I can still see content in a second monitor, moving my mouse over and trying to left click minimizes the LoL client.

Emilie

11-15-2013

Bump from me, as I also have this issue. Would be great to have a fix, Riot. Currently I'm messing with the config file to get it to "kinda" work in windowed mode, but I should be able to run this borderless. My Windows friends who run borderless don't have an issue with the game minimizing when clicking on other applications on my secondary monitor.

Boomer0001

11-21-2013

I can say this is still an issue. I use 3 monitors (gaming, watching youtube and a guide on the third) can type. He, Dataslave, outlines perfectly the situation that I too am experiencing.

p nut buttrjelly

07-09-2014

Brentmeister- I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why it insisted to go wonky outside of full screen mode. I overlooked matching up the game/screen res that was it. Thank you very much.