Farmed Yi vs. farmed Twitch

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pocidon

12-11-2009

So my summoner is lvl 15 and I've been trying to make Yi my main (at least for pub games) and it seems that whenever there is a farmed twitch in the game, he can destroy me in about 3 seconds regardless of how farmed I am.

I usually run with the following build

Meki Pendant -> Chalice
Boots of Swiftness -> Berserker's Greaves or Mercury Treads
Vampiric Scepter -> Malady (usually get Malady around level 7-8)

At this point I usually go into the jungle and get the two buffs.

Then I start building:
Frozen Mallet
Phantom Dancer
Stark's Fervor

Other than buying an Oracle potion what can I do to counter twitch? Should I be using a different build when there is a twitch in the game?

Zingmaster

12-11-2009

exhaust

Selladoran

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-11-2009

You have to out damage him, try to get more kills than him and get a ****ed infinity edge, that **** is too good to not be on your main list.

gutter

12-11-2009

Twitch is strong, but carry vs. carry, all else being equal, Twitch will often lose to a melee carry. Here are some tips...

1) If twitch uses his ultimate (which causes him to make that spraying sound instead of his regular attack), start circling him. Literally just run circles around him. What will happen is he'll keep firing off shots but now they're line missiles instead of normal attack projectiles. Twitch can't turn fast enough to keep up with your running, so he'll keep firing off shots that just miss you.

2) You hardly build any damage. All I see is attack speed. I wouldn't be surprised if, with Highlander, you actually waste some of your atk speed because you reach the cap. The atk speed cap is 2.5 attacks per second. Instead, I'd suggest something more like this:

- Meki Pendant > Chalice
- Boots of Speed > Greaves/Treads
- Vampiric Scepter > Emblem of Valor + Recurve Bow > Stark's
- Long Sword > Phage
- Start Building Black Cleaver or Infinity Edge
- Finish Building Black Cleaver or Infinity Edge
- If you need survivability (which you probably do), finish Frozen Mallet. If you don't, go for Phantom Dancer.

Also, you might want to consider getting Exhaust. Doing so will blind Twitch (so he can't deal any damage to you, giving you a huge advantage) and will also let you chase runners and slow pursuers, which might let you skip phage and instead focus on the rest of your build.

You might also want to consider skipping the mana regen in the beginning and just farming yourself that life steal. Then you can jungle the golem buff and you won't have to worry about mana problems. That would save you a good chunk of gold.

Also, make sure that from like level 11 on you're always picking up elixirs. Either Fortitude or Agility will do depending on your situation. I'd lean towards fortitude, as this build is kind of fragile.

Pocidon

12-11-2009

So there is really no way for me to go toe to toe with him unless I am more farmed than he is? I'm talking about situations where we're both equally farmed.

Exhaust is a good idea but that requires me actually getting close to him before he kills me.

gutter

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocidon View Post
So there is really no way for me to go toe to toe with him unless I am more farmed than he is? I'm talking about situations where we're both equally farmed.

Exhaust is a good idea but that requires me actually getting close to him before he kills me.
If your problem is closing the gap, you have Alpha Strike and Highlander for that. Also, Exhaust has a bit of range on it...Probably about the same as Twitche's non-ulti attack range. So the only way he can out range you is with his ulti, in which case you should just run circles around him. Trust me, it works.

Cutted

12-11-2009

cleanse would help too, he wont' be able to apply poison for 2 seconds which is a huge damage dealer early/midgame. Exhaust would do that too.

if you are both equally farmed and the rat gets jump on you, highlander, cleanse, wait 2 seconds before exhausting or if he runs exhaust and go to town. He'll die pretty fast. A twitch wont be able to slow you down, cleanse prevents debuffs for 2 seconds and exhaust blinds him.

but like everyone said, you are going overboard with attack speed.

Pocidon

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter View Post
Twitch is strong, but carry vs. carry, all else being equal, Twitch will often lose to a melee carry. Here are some tips...

1) If twitch uses his ultimate (which causes him to make that spraying sound instead of his regular attack), start circling him. Literally just run circles around him. What will happen is he'll keep firing off shots but now they're line missiles instead of normal attack projectiles. Twitch can't turn fast enough to keep up with your running, so he'll keep firing off shots that just miss you.

2) You hardly build any damage. All I see is attack speed. I wouldn't be surprised if, with Highlander, you actually waste some of your atk speed because you reach the cap. The atk speed cap is 2.5 attacks per second. Instead, I'd suggest something more like this:

- Meki Pendant > Chalice
- Boots of Speed > Greaves/Treads
- Vampiric Scepter > Emblem of Valor + Recurve Bow > Stark's
- Long Sword > Phage
- Start Building Black Cleaver or Infinity Edge
- Finish Building Black Cleaver or Infinity Edge
- If you need survivability (which you probably do), finish Frozen Mallet. If you don't, go for Phantom Dancer.

Also, you might want to consider getting Exhaust. Doing so will blind Twitch (so he can't deal any damage to you, giving you a huge advantage) and will also let you chase runners and slow pursuers, which might let you skip phage and instead focus on the rest of your build.

You might also want to consider skipping the mana regen in the beginning and just farming yourself that life steal. Then you can jungle the golem buff and you won't have to worry about mana problems. That would save you a good chunk of gold.

Also, make sure that from like level 11 on you're always picking up elixirs. Either Fortitude or Agility will do depending on your situation. I'd lean towards fortitude, as this build is kind of fragile.
Thanks for the advice. I find that I can't reliably farm the jungle buffs with just the Vampiric Scepter. I can get them really low but I usually wind up having to run away when they're below 1/2 health because I'm about to die. Maybe it's due to my low summoner level.

crimsonlyre

12-11-2009

I don't get it. I've even seen several guides where Yi's never get anything with raw damage to it, just attack speed... which is stupid as all hell. What I do is get
Long Sword>Phage(dmg+hp+slow) very useful for killing early game
Berserker Boots
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Starks Fervor if nobody else has it, or else Bloodthirster
Phage>Frozen Mallet
then finish it off with anything you want- probably another PD or if you're having trouble against tanks either Black Cleaver or even Madreds Bloodrazer

Frozen Mallet is amazing because it gives you a bit of durability, extra damage, and makes it just about impossible for anyone to escape you.

Twitch really shouldn't be killing you. Just don't walk directly away from him and his ult is useless. In addition, make sure to engage him with Wuju Style and Highlander up. Coupled with the lifesteal from bloodthirster/starks, there's no reason you should die to him. Also, don't just autoattack him! Use Alpha Strike, as it will throw Twitch off and add a bit more damage in there where he can't hit you

discomatt

12-11-2009

Starks and WuJu will allow you to jungle solo.

If you know twitch will be a problem, simply be aware... once he comes out of invis, alpha strike, exhaust, wuju+highlander. He's dead before exhaust clears.

I almost always run cleanse+exhaust on yi.

I usually avoid phage unless I'm having troubles jungling - either the buffs are taken or there's good chance I'll get ganked doing it. Stacking slow on slow is meh.

I also really like swiftness boots on Yi - unless they're heavy CC/Cast or heavy DPS, then merc/tabi obviously.

A really fun ending (after starks + infinity) is Warmog's. Yi can charge it up so fast - it's great for when you get focused and can actually be more beneficial than Phantom Dancer. Against 4 squishy opponents I'll usually grab the giants belt half way through the infinity.