DPS has healthsleal items. Why can't casters?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by renticletape View Post
Doesn't the intervening locket item regen health upon spell cast? That is pretty much like life steal but scales with cool down reduction instead of damage.
fair enough. I suppose that's cool.

Lameador

12-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermin View Post
imagine veigar dropping his WMD on you while he has 100hp and heals to full while busting 70% of ur HP. Or amumu healing up from despair
Wouldn't be different from any end game DPS chain raping your whole team.

So I really support arcan lifesteal especially if "Arcane Healing" is :
- Hugely nerfed on AOE
- Not accessible early game (but having 30% arcane life steal for a 600 g item would be cool, especially if this item could be combined with AP items to make an AP+lifesteal item)
- Even more nerfed on AOE

Patyrn

12-13-2009

Quote:
imagine veigar dropping his WMD on you while he has 100hp and heals to full while busting 70% of ur HP. Or amumu healing up from despair
I ****ing hate people who use straw-man arguments. Why don't we assume that riot isn't ******ed, and that a lifesteal for abilities item would be balanced? Say 20% lifesteal on single target 3% on AOE? A 500 damage nuke would heal you for 100.

Quote:
Doesn't the intervening locket item regen health upon spell cast? That is pretty much like life steal but scales with cool down reduction instead of damage.
Except it's super weak healing, and instead of costing ~400 it costs like 3000?

Edit: I love how "r e t a r d 3 d" is a swear word.

Vichar

12-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenpineapple View Post
It wouldn't balance well. Physical DPS has to attack minions separately, but a good number of casters can drop a bomb and wipe a massive minion wave. If every dps spell in the game was single-target on autocast, exactly like an autoattack, then maybe.

Casters don't need any 'help.' They're to be played differently.
I'm not sure I agree. On every team I've ever played on, the physical dps carries (Yi, Twitch, Ashe, etc.) always have over twice the number of creep kills as the casters. There are sometimes exceptions, but they are rare.

Remember, casters have mana. If you want to be useful in fights as a caster, you have to keep some mana in reserve. You can't just bomb every single creep wave that comes along unless you build specifically for mana pool / mana regen (which tends to gimp your damage spike).

Imo casters need something late game to match the usefulness of physical dps. I'd be willing to take a caster crit chance % or something to even the playing field a little. Right now, as it is, if you get stuck on a unfocused team as a caster, you almost have no chance of winning late game because as time goes on, your influence on the game decreases by design.

renticletape

12-18-2009

Not sure about health stealing like phys-dps, but how about mana stealing? That would be more beneficial to casters. Like each spell cast on a target will steal X % of the spell damage in mana.

IEatBabies

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenpineapple View Post
Because that's the point. The vast majority of spells already have special effects, not just pure damage. I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been a pure nuke life drain, a la Bane elemental's brain sap, but it just seems like a mechanic Riot wants to avoid.

Play Fiddle.
lol play warwick

Xetal

12-19-2009

Quote:
This post strikes me as numerous because it seems to think these examples are not acceptable, but that it is acceptable for a carry to heal to full in 3 seconds attacking.

Having said that: I'd like to see mages and physical DPS stay different from each other. If physical DPS holds too much of an advantage (and I think they do by a little bit right now), then what needs to be done is a bit of balancing instead of trying to make ability and physical champions/builds identical to each other in play style.

Mocurion

12-19-2009

If u want lifeleech spells play Morgana she got an LL passive

Piranha Petunia

12-19-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocurion View Post
If u want lifeleech spells play Morgana she got an LL passive
Same argument could be made for Warwick and Nasus and lifesteal items.

Lameador

12-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichar View Post
Remember, casters have mana. If you want to be useful in fights as a caster, you have to keep some mana in reserve. You can't just bomb every single creep wave that comes along unless you build specifically for mana pool / mana regen (which tends to gimp your damage spike).

Imo casters need something late game to match the usefulness of physical dps. I'd be willing to take a caster crit chance % or something to even the playing field a little. Right now, as it is, if you get stuck on a unfocused team as a caster, you almost have no chance of winning late game because as time goes on, your influence on the game decreases by design.
Some sort of manaburning on casterss would be cool, it would make mana more significant end game and would allow maana burning as a way to deal with some DPS (like Jax)