[Guide][LONG] Zilean, that Clock Guy. AP Playstyle.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arctura42

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-20-2010

I've played as Zilean for quite a while, but have found something interesting. In this one game there was a veigar on the other team, so I figured "ok, I depend on mana normally, but with veigar we want mana regen instead because otherwise we die in one hit." Following this logic I had a pool of around 1.5k mana (basically unavoidable), but never ran out, EVER. I didn't even need the golem buff - I simply could never use enough mana to make me run out. This was achieved first by keeping the chalice, and getting stuff like Soul Shroud (good survivability and enough CDR to get me to full), and Innervating Locket. If there aren't any veigars around, this may still work, and you would be free to add in zhondya's ring. If you're really really good early, get a mejaj (so much AP during those awesome games...). Have not tried Deathfire Grasp, so I'll see if that works with my build. I don't know if I actually need all of this mana regen to be feasible, but I never had to so much as look at my mana pool just to be sure.

Arachnophobia

02-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctura42 View Post
I've played as Zilean for quite a while, but have found something interesting. In this one game there was a veigar on the other team, so I figured "ok, I depend on mana normally, but with veigar we want mana regen instead because otherwise we die in one hit." Following this logic I had a pool of around 1.5k mana (basically unavoidable), but never ran out, EVER. I didn't even need the golem buff - I simply could never use enough mana to make me run out. This was achieved first by keeping the chalice, and getting stuff like Soul Shroud (good survivability and enough CDR to get me to full), and Innervating Locket. If there aren't any veigars around, this may still work, and you would be free to add in zhondya's ring. If you're really really good early, get a mejaj (so much AP during those awesome games...). Have not tried Deathfire Grasp, so I'll see if that works with my build. I don't know if I actually need all of this mana regen to be feasible, but I never had to so much as look at my mana pool just to be sure.
Nitrosol here, guy who wrote the guide.

I gotta say, Mana Regen can be a good alternative to pure mana, but not in Zileans case.
I understand you tailoring your build to the situation, that means you're an intelligent player, I miss seeing them in games.
But Zilean spams spells, really spams them.
This isn't exactly a regen-friendly thing.
Also, archangels staff offers a HUUUGE amount of AP, earlier today I got Zilean up to 703 AP before the game ended, with my 3.3k Mana (Archangels actually has a mana cap, I think that should be in the tooltip) which offered a good 75 or so AP to the build with the passive alone.
So Zilean needs mana over mana regen really, but I commend you on your ingenuity.

Lyght

02-15-2010

hi,
i'm really new to this game, but after a few minutes of zilean ( i started out with mana manipulator ), i went straight for Mejai's Soulstealer, reason being that for bout 1.2k, there's a potential 220 AP there, and a potential -15% CD. also, it wasn't hard ot get kills w double bombing AND warping AND shifting if things got bad. I would normally keep bombing til they were bout 60% life, then rush in for a double bomb + warp.

My two summoner skills were Heal and Ghost. I'm not high enough for flash =D, but they helped me chase/run and keep me in the lane for at least 1.6k for boots and Mejai.

After Mejai, i got the catalyst protector to help even more w life, and then went for fiendish codex. By that time, i had bout 8 charges on Mejai. I finished off the Locket, then Nashor's Tooth, got the Boots of Mobility, then charged straight for Zhonya. I started farming for Rylai after but game finished by then.

Mana Manipulator
Mejai Soulstealer
Boots
Catalyst Protector.
Fiendish Codex.
Locket.
Nashor's Tooth
Boots of Mobility.
Zhonya's Ring.
Rylai or any other item for damage/AP/survivability/utility.

Final item build
Boots of Mobility
Mejai Soulstealer
Innervating Locket.
Nashor's Tooth.
Zhonya's Ring.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter.

Playstyle -
Be opportunistic. Go for the kill when the opportunity presents itself, and bomb the enemy when they over extend themselves. You'll be surprised you can kill someone at 75% hp with two bombs, warp and Ghost at an early level. With Mejai, be even more careful. You mustn't die. It's very cheap an item, but becomes strong really fast with the 1.1 AP ratio of ur bombs. That means if you kill say, 4 enemies, your double bomb combo does an extra 176 damage. Once you max out 20 charges on it, your bombs do 220 damage MORE, for no cost.
You have to be a hero killer with this build. Be too aggressive, beg a Khathum to ulti people down first if you have to, just get the kills and use SHift on urself when you're suiciding for the kill.
With boots of Mobility, hunt heroes with less than ideal life. If you're getting too damaged, make a judgement call on whether to be bait and kill and shift, or to Recall and come back later.
Don't get too engrossed in supporting, especially if they aren't great hero killers. THe idea with Mejai is you get charges for support too. Look for great players, maybe even cheap Pantheons running around. Get the charges for assist if you have too, and keep only the good heroes alive. If you waste all ur mana on chrono and warp on the lesser players, your game will suffer.
If you do fight someone with high damage, then restructure your build.
I once got Leviathan right after Mejai, cos i figured it was a Do or Die moment. Ended up paying 1275 for 820 HP and 15% damage reduction. I mean if you can rack up the charges and not die, why not?
Once you have both items, make sure you don't push alone. You can definitely die from multiple ganks.

I just thought i'd put this idea out there considering i don't see Mejai on any item builds for Zilean, the 1.1 x AP bomber.

Nitrosol

02-17-2010

Okay, i'm adding a couple new Rune/Item Builds now.
In light of recent changes, cooldown redux is an insane amount less useful.
I will keep the current CD Redux Build for those who still enjoy the pure spam of them, but Pure AP can be a very nice bit more effective now too.

Nitrosol

02-17-2010

Updated the guide in light of Recent Change with a new Pure AP Build.

Note: A Guide to Solo Mid incoming, as it is now far more viable.

Gumb E

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2010

For those who are just tuning in, what's the big change that makes CD less important and solo mid more viable?

Nitrosol

02-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumb E View Post
For those who are just tuning in, what's the big change that makes CD less important and solo mid more viable?
Ah, they changed the way Rewind works.

Y'see. Rewind used to have a Long cooldown, but the rewind active effect benefited rewind.
This means that Rewind technically had a cooldown 10 seconds shorter than it said it did.

This was special because the full cooldown of rewind got the benefit of cooldownr reduction. This means that with maxed cooldown reduction, you would have a bonus 4 seconds off Rewind.

They removed this, and gave it a lower cooldown without the rewind active effect benefiting it.

This was a buff to CD reductionless builds, and a near invisible nerf to CD reduction builds.
I still prefer Cooldown reduction myself for added survivability with Chronoshift having a tiny cooldown, but many people now prefer Full AP.
I'll add in the Solo mid Guide soon.

fredyybob

03-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyght View Post
hi,
i'm really new to this game, but after a few minutes of zilean ( i started out with mana manipulator ), i went straight for Mejai's Soulstealer, reason being that for bout 1.2k, there's a potential 220 AP there, and a potential -15% CD. also, it wasn't hard ot get kills w double bombing AND warping AND shifting if things got bad. I would normally keep bombing til they were bout 60% life, then rush in for a double bomb + warp.

My two summoner skills were Heal and Ghost. I'm not high enough for flash =D, but they helped me chase/run and keep me in the lane for at least 1.6k for boots and Mejai.

After Mejai, i got the catalyst protector to help even more w life, and then went for fiendish codex. By that time, i had bout 8 charges on Mejai. I finished off the Locket, then Nashor's Tooth, got the Boots of Mobility, then charged straight for Zhonya. I started farming for Rylai after but game finished by then.

Mana Manipulator
Mejai Soulstealer
Boots
Catalyst Protector.
Fiendish Codex.
Locket.
Nashor's Tooth
Boots of Mobility.
Zhonya's Ring.
Rylai or any other item for damage/AP/survivability/utility.

Final item build
Boots of Mobility
Mejai Soulstealer
Innervating Locket.
Nashor's Tooth.
Zhonya's Ring.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter.

Playstyle -
Be opportunistic. Go for the kill when the opportunity presents itself, and bomb the enemy when they over extend themselves. You'll be surprised you can kill someone at 75% hp with two bombs, warp and Ghost at an early level. With Mejai, be even more careful. You mustn't die. It's very cheap an item, but becomes strong really fast with the 1.1 AP ratio of ur bombs. That means if you kill say, 4 enemies, your double bomb combo does an extra 176 damage. Once you max out 20 charges on it, your bombs do 220 damage MORE, for no cost.
You have to be a hero killer with this build. Be too aggressive, beg a Khathum to ulti people down first if you have to, just get the kills and use SHift on urself when you're suiciding for the kill.
With boots of Mobility, hunt heroes with less than ideal life. If you're getting too damaged, make a judgement call on whether to be bait and kill and shift, or to Recall and come back later.
Don't get too engrossed in supporting, especially if they aren't great hero killers. THe idea with Mejai is you get charges for support too. Look for great players, maybe even cheap Pantheons running around. Get the charges for assist if you have too, and keep only the good heroes alive. If you waste all ur mana on chrono and warp on the lesser players, your game will suffer.
If you do fight someone with high damage, then restructure your build.
I once got Leviathan right after Mejai, cos i figured it was a Do or Die moment. Ended up paying 1275 for 820 HP and 15% damage reduction. I mean if you can rack up the charges and not die, why not?
Once you have both items, make sure you don't push alone. You can definitely die from multiple ganks.

I just thought i'd put this idea out there considering i don't see Mejai on any item builds for Zilean, the 1.1 x AP bomber.
I've tried this a couple games and the snowball on mejai early works great the ap keeps building and i can concentrate on mana regen and speed

Baryboo

03-18-2010

dps zilean rox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baryboo View Post
Try going a melee dps zilean and I trust you'll be very pleased. Here me out...

Zilean is one of the best laners in the game because if you use your time bombs wisely you can easily 2v1 lane and get ganks without any near death experiences. So you'll actually focus on your spells as your mainstay in the early-mid game and make a transition from mid game to be mostly reliant on your melee by late game.

Since Zil is pretty squishy I make sure to have flash. Teleport allows you to constantly stay in the lane ensuring that you'll be amongst the highest lvls in the game.

Start out with a meki meki's pendant that you'll later upgrade into a chalice of harmony. Get berserker's boots as well as a mejals soulstealer in early-mid game. Make sure to be very cautious early and mid game making sure to not die. I prefer maxing out time bomb as quick as possible while putting one point in rewind and then focusing on time shift. In an early-mid game a 4.5 second slow is almost the best in the game (it'll prove to be your mainstay late game as you'll melee down heros by the time it wears off-with a time bomb they're sure not to get away.. this allows you to be extremely mana efficient in late game)

By late game you'll have a infinity's edge and phantom dancer, and you'll be cleverly raping the face off of the best dps out there in the game (i.e. ashe, teemo, ryze etc). Rely on your abilities to escape sticky situations. Many people complain about the lack of mana with this build. But you'll see that by end game, your melee will be your mainstay and you can rape heros with using minimum spells as your slow will allow you to kite enemies and get several K melee by the end of its 5.5 seconds. Also, the chalice keeps you with sufficient mana.

Zilean will be critting for 500+ on champs with each long-range quick melee with phatty time bombs due to a hopefully full stacked mejals. Your spells totally complement this build allowing you to be an utter boss by late game. After the phantom dancer go with whatever you want as you'll be out damaging the best of em.

With this build you're like a viper when you're low on mana or health. You'll often see enemy champions eager to gank and dive bomb into foolish situations expecting you to be a squishy, no dps zilean. Honestly, people do some dumb stuff and completely underestimate you constantly, which allows you to be even 1337er when you are with very low mana or health.

This build takes extreme finesse to play but you'll pwn hard throughout the game 1 v 1 and team fights

I AM FROM CANADA

03-18-2010

Rofl.

I'll have to try that sometime.