[Guide][LONG] Zilean, that Clock Guy. AP Playstyle.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rEv3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrosol View Post
I might write out some masteries, but pretty much anything works for zilean.
Offense is an okay choice, but once you have your 15% magic penetration you aren't going to get much more from the tree, and utility becomes far more useful.
Either way, Zilean is a huge harasser throughout the entire game, as you said, even lower ranks of time bomb make cocky heroes wet themselves.

And rEv3, that sounds like a strange build alright, Wit's End sounds like an interesting choice for the Laning Phase, seeing as how enemies don't realize how large your range is.
Faster attack speed on him makes a huge difference. I was previously playing a CD/AP build with Stark's, but since switching to HP stacking I've found that Wit's End adds more survivability. Since I can no longer spam Timewarp (no CD except Golem buff) I started buying zerk boots before the recurve bow to make wit's end which has been working rather well.

Nitrosol

12-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rEv3 View Post
That can have its advantages. Keeping them away from the creep means less gold for them, but if you waste all your bombs like that you won't get much either.
You can bomb enemy creeps that are about to die too, that also pushes enemies away from the creep fight.
Bombing enemy creeps is the only way to keep enemy ranged champions away from your creeps anyway.
Remember that your own creeps deal rather nice damage to enemies as well, and if they're about to kill an enemy creep, bomb it.

EternalOblivion

12-19-2009

Someone might have thought of this already, but I just figured out a cool combo with Zilean/Shaco.

Have Shaco use Hallucination while he's in the brush, wait about 25 seconds, put a Time Bomb on the copy Shaco, have the copy Shaco run into the other team. Double boom. All down to 1/2 HP or less.

Nitrosol

12-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalOblivion View Post
Someone might have thought of this already, but I just figured out a cool combo with Zilean/Shaco.

Have Shaco use Hallucination while he's in the brush, wait about 25 seconds, put a Time Bomb on the copy Shaco, have the copy Shaco run into the other team. Double boom. All down to 1/2 HP or less.
Never really thought of that, but the thing is, now that they're on half health how do you finish them off?

MEMEME670

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-28-2009

One thing about facing other Zileans.

Any AP build vs a Zilean gets DESTROYED by any competent mana CDR zilean, or a willing AP zilean, no matter how fed you are, and yeah you can still do well, but its hard vs competent other Zileans.

Reason: If any unit with an enemy timebomb on them is placed with an allied timebomb on them, the first one is ovverriden, and does not explode. Yes, it will not explode, and will do nothing.

Your 500 damage nuke just got owned.

Judah the Lion

12-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMEME670 View Post
One thing about facing other Zileans.

Any AP build vs a Zilean gets DESTROYED by any competent mana CDR zilean, or a willing AP zilean, no matter how fed you are, and yeah you can still do well, but its hard vs competent other Zileans.

Reason: If any unit with an enemy timebomb on them is placed with an allied timebomb on them, the first one is ovverriden, and does not explode. Yes, it will not explode, and will do nothing.

Your 500 damage nuke just got owned.
I've only had 1 zvz in 80 matches, but good to know.

Crowmisfits

12-31-2009

great guide, it includes a lot of the stuff i already do. I always get a deathfire grasp when i play him. I often overlook the benefits of time bombing friendly units but you have included some good example strategies that i'll try to employ more in my gameplay.

something that i find is that since Zilean isn't seen very often a lot of people don't noticed the hourglasses from the chronoshift buff. this can be useful when you are being chased by one or two other players by either leading them to your tower and sucking them into trying to get that last hit on you and letting the tower or teammates hit them.

and i agree, i often find that the whole enemy team with try to target me after i get my first few kills. If i'm soloing mid as taric or zilean than i'll usually end up with 4 players in my lane trying to kill me.

EternalOblivion

01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrosol View Post
Never really thought of that, but the thing is, now that they're on half health how do you finish them off?
Shaco uses Decieve/Two Shiv to finish.

hoogamaphone

01-02-2010

Great guide. I've been playing zilean almost exclusively for the last 2 months, but I still managed to learn a few tips I hadn't thought of. Thanks!

churros

Adjudicator

01-02-2010

I havent played zilean in months (because of my lack of CD runes), but i always went glacial shroud quickly because it dramatically helps zilean. First let me point out that a picture of glacial shroud is on the back of zileans clock (meaning this is the item for zilean). All you need is a page with 7% CD reduction (this allows for about half of the page to be whatever you want so thats nice). Max out the ability in the utility tree that will reduce CD by 6%. Once you get glacial shroud, you will have a massive mana pool, some armor to protect against those melee champs, and max CD. (max CD, last time i checked, was 33%)

I apologize before hand if i describe zileans abilities a little incorrectly, i havent played him in a while

Now for those who don't know what happens when Max CD is achieved by zilean. It means that his speed up/slow down ability can be used continuously with rewind because rewind will now have a 3 second CD and the speed up/slow down last for 3 seconds at lvl 2 i believe. (Technically its 13 seconds CD on rewind but rewind also rewinds itself =p)(rewind decreases CD by 10 seconds.)This means that you can stay at a movement speed of over 520 forever. However, you will need to get rewind to lvl 5 to have this ability. Also, you can place time bombs every 3 or so seconds, with the first 2 being back to back. Your ult CD is reduced to about 20-30 seconds with this much CD, that is if you use rewind when it is up all the time.

I dont upgrade glacial shroud to frozen heart immediately because i still have little tolerance for damage with zilean at this point. (my health isn't good enough yet). I get a few health items, mized with ap and mana (rod of ages) to increase by survivability. Frozen heart is really helpful tho if they have a lot of dps.

Another thing is that i would reccommend having golem buff most of the game, because this build requires a massive, massive, massive mana pool.

Sadly, if you want a to be threat early game, you will have to lvl up the time bomb, so you wont want to achieve max CD until about lvl 12 or 13.

This does help late game, because it allows you to use your ult 2-3 times in a team fight, making you the ultimate savior. Let your teamates thank you endlessly =).

One major problem wiith the mana pool, i get owned by viegars endlessly =(. Just kidding, my ult is there to help =)

Obviously, i reccommend getting some AP and magic pen before getting glacial shroud. If you want to have max CD and get deathfire, you'll need a full CD rune page. If the runes havent changed, it should be a 13.3% CD and you get achieve max CD immdeiately (remember to get the mastery of 6% CD). If you do this, which is really nice, you turn more into a nuker than a support. I tend to play more support zilean.