Hey Riot, found a bug for ya

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gorchek

11-16-2010

Changing names so I don't call anyone out, had a Teemo on my team named "ANYBODY CAN LOVE," and a Lux on the other team named "ANYBODY."

Typed in /mute ANYBODY CAN LOVE, and it muted ANYBODY instead. (Checked the end-game screen, Lux was muted instead, and I still got messages from Teemo throughout the game).

Kind of amusing and irritating at the same time, being a computer science major, such a lazy algorithm is pretty disappointing.

Zyocuh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2010

good find

UNchristian

11-16-2010

Shouldn't have allowed spaces in the first place.

Osterus

11-16-2010

did you try /mute anybody_can_love?

Computer code tends to ignore spaces, so your /mute anybody space whatever the code will only read the first half.

Probably still a bug though.

straightdropact

11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osterus View Post

Computer code tends to ignore spaces, so your /mute anybody space whatever the code will only read the first half.

If this doesn't work make sure you try

/mute "Anybody Can Love"

I've had this problem in tons of online games, usually counter strike and putting it in quotes usually works.

Attero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorchek View Post
being a computer science major, such a lazy algorithm is pretty disappointing.
Why do people take a post that could have otherwise been fine and insist on throwing in something that makes them sound like a gigantic ****** bag?

EDIT:
And I'll go ahead and throw in why this is not a bug here.

Requiring quotes around names with spaces is intended, and a must. Theoretically you could make it not behave this way with commands that don't require more parameteres than a name (such as ignore), but this would confuse players when they try to send whispers/tells and end up whispering ANYONE the message "CAN LOVE Hey man whats up".

Since the quotes is a necessity for multi parameter chat commands, there is no reason to make some chat commands not require them while others would. Consistency is an important focus when designing user interaction.

Gorchek

11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osterus View Post

No I didn't, but that's pretty unintuitive. I don't believe you have to use underscores to mute someone with spaces. I think it would have worked had that Lux not been in the game as well.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, quotes might have worked. I still don't think quotes or underscores are necessary under normal circumstances, but I can't be sure.

Gorchek

11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attero View Post
Why do people take a post that could have otherwise been fine and insist on throwing in something that makes them sound like a gigantic ****** bag?
Cause when I do a programming project in babyland-college that can jump past spaces and compare the whole string to another string, it's kind of shameful when professionals can't do the same. It's basic error checking 101.

For comparison: if you're just an art student, and you see a professional artist put something out that you can factually say you can do better than (say, if you sold it for higher or something, I don't know), you'd be kind of embarrassed.

SilverSoultaker

Emissary of the League

11-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naabz View Post
If this doesn't work make sure you try

/mute "Anybody Can Love"
This. You need to add in quotes if the person has spaces in their name.

Attero

11-16-2010

Quote:
Cause when I do a programming project in babyland-college that can jump past spaces and compare the whole string to another string, it's kind of shameful when professionals can't do the same. It's basic error checking 101.
And what if spaces are considered when checking for a unique name? It is also quite amusing that those of us without your self proclaimed genius managed to figure out that names with spaces must be enclosed in quotes. It is also interesting that someone with pure intelligence pouring out of their ears couldn't realize that implementing their suggestion would be a bad thing.

Now, this is a very simple issue of consistency that anyone with any sort of experience or understanding in programming can figure out. Why would they not want to make ignore not require quotes for names with spaces? Lets see if you can figure this out.

Quote:
For comparison: if you're just an art student, and you see a professional artist put something out that you can factually say you can do better than (say, if you sold it for higher or something, I don't know), you'd be kind of embarrassed.
Terrible comparison considering art is subjective so saying you can factually do anything better than anyone else is ignorant.

To the point: There are dozens of people like yourself who think they're so smart because they are in school to do something, and most of them have serious issues with overestimating their worth.

Now: Requiring quotes around names with spaces is intended, and changing it would be counter intuitive. Do you think you can figure out why smart guy?