Why Blue Ezreal is NOT the Real Deal (Math Inside)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Berivik

05-20-2013

I played against a blue ez yesterday as our teams adc. I've got to say even being the rival to one was a little underwhelming. He died twice (he only died in lane) I think to my 3-4 deaths (all game)but I had probably double his kills. His poke was really annoying as well but once his team was engaged on he didn't really do much damage and our team basically rolled his since we had much better damage, especially mid game and then just zerg rushed the towers. I've seen more blue ez's but just haven't been their counterpart ADC, I think how good you do as blue ez depends a lot on how good your team is at delaying engages, in my game we had a vi so it wasn't too hard for us to initiate.

Suzuteo

05-20-2013

Yeah. Poor Sivir! T_T

iGotThatAntidope

05-20-2013

when did we start building Phantom Dancers on ezreal???
my fave ezreal build:
ice born gauntlets
blood thirster
last whisper
beserker greaves
warmogs
then my last item varies to what I need

Kelarm

05-20-2013

I've never understood why people waste their time making these kinds of threads and doing such calculations. League is an extremely difficult, often impossible game to theorcraft mathematically. I mean, seriously, DPS? Who cares? No one is EVER standing around having a stationary fight to the death. Other than maybe a couple of bruisers here and there. And if an AD carry is standing still pumping out damage in any kind of engagement then something is going seriously wrong and such an unlikely situation is a useless example to even consider.

Blue ezreal is MAYBE more mobile and survivable than standard ezreal? Is that supposed to be a joke? You can't even get in the same zip code as blue ezreal unless you are a very specific handful of champions or have extremely strong long-range engage on your team. Those Qs come out practically faster than auto attacks from a thousand range away with an aoe slow and true damage on them and let him flash even more too.

The only relevant thing you managed to say in that novel you wrote is that solo Q games are rarely well coordinated enough to allow heavy poke champions to do their jobs before engagements. But ezreal's poke comes out so fast and so hard that he only needs about 10 seconds before he's probably got half the enemy team at 60% health, it's not like he's xerath who has to siege something for 2 minutes and then becomes helpless when engaged on.

Rismonaught

05-20-2013

Anyone else feel like Blue Ezreal gives other adc's the ok to be building a frozen mallet?

BestVayneMars

Recruiter

05-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuteo View Post
I am writing this to debunk the perceptions of the countless people that I bump into who believe that a certain build used by pro players is somehow viable for use in solo queue.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that it is a bad build (after all, pro players use it), simply that 95% of the time, in solo queue, it will be inferior due to lack of pilot skill or team coordination. So if you are Diamond/Challenger, this is not an attack on your playstyle.

In particular, four myths are prevalent:

1) Blue Ezreal can match Standard Ezreal's damage.

This is a fantasy, one perpetuated by a recent Reign of Gaming article that fell short because it was lazy with math (in fact, aside from gold cost, he doesn't provide any) and excluded Phantom Dancer from a "standard" build. (Can anyone imagine taking Blade of the Ruined King over Phantom Dancer in a critical strike build?)

The fact is, Standard Ezreal begins ahead of Blue Ezreal, and it stays ahead throughout the game, with the damage margin widening to a 59% physical damage advantage by late game.

Here are my numbers:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hTkJ3S2c#gid=0

Salient points:
Standard
Physical DPS: 1589.9985106383
Magic DPS: 36.12875

Blue
Physical DPS: 999.89244061737
Magic DPS: 62.4607861400894
Pure DPS: 13.3333333333333

My model assumes that Blue Ezreal has 100% mana at all times and that the target has 3000 HP and that Blue Ezreal will be fighting to the death (so BotRK averages at ~75 damage). Enemy armor does not really matter, as both Standard and Blue Ezreal have the same APen numbers.

Also, for the purposes of simplification, we will assume my Ezreals are so skilled that they land all their skill shots; yes, I know that Mystic Shot changes the cooldowns of all skills, but I do not think most Ezreals aim to maximize magic damage. Anyhow, the Standard Ezreal probably doesn't even need to bother with his Mystic Shot, but I gave Blue Ezreal a bottomless mana pool, so let's make allowances here.

And for those who complain about how Blue Ezreal stacks the AS bonus from Ezreal's passive faster, note that even if Standard Ezreal has ZERO stacks on his passive, he still outdamages Blue Ezreal by 36%.

There are also the pure and magic DPS figures. Obviously, they do not amount to much.

If you would like to read the Reign of Gaming article, it is here: http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/a...-the-real-deal

2) Blue Ezreal is more survivable.

This is a big maybe. I say this because it is true that Standard Ezreal sacrifices durability for most of the game, whereas Blue Ezreal gets a nice hunk of armor from Iceborn Gauntlet after his Manamune.

However, it is my belief that by late game, Standard Ezreal will have more survivability than Blue Ezreal. Why? Because he has one free slot to fill with Guardian Angel, Iceborn Gauntlet, or Mercurial Scimitar. (He can even skip Last Whisper in some spots to get his defensive item early.) Furthermore, while Blue Ezreal has 3% more lifesteal than Standard Ezreal, he has less actual lifesteal because he deals much less damage.

3) Blue Ezreal is more mobile.

This really depends on what you mean by mobility. If we're talking about effective movement speed, Blue Ezreal has a grand total of 9 more movement speed than Standard Ezreal.

In essence, Standard Ezreal runs faster than Blue Ezreal, but Blue Ezreal has slightly better escape ability and kiting power due to Iceborn Gauntlet and the 39% CDR on his Arcane Shift. (When you are being slowed, flash effects are a lot better than running. But being stuck at base MS when your Arcane Shift is down is terrible.)

Anyhow, whether or not its is worth the huge sacrifice in DPS is questionable. It may well be that a Standard Ezreal does not need to run as much because it takes only two-thirds the amount of time for him to kill his target.

4) But... poking!

Really, how often are games decided by patient poking in solo queue? Typically, it's just about dominating your lane and steamrolling the other team with bulk and damage. Nobody expects their Ezreal to make plays to reduce enemy HP; they just want their ADC to do damage--and lots of it!

---

In conclusion, Blue Ezreal sacrifices huge amounts of DPS for increased in utility and poking power. But does this mean you should not play Blue Ezreal? In the vast majority of cases, I would say yes. Blue Ezreal seems to be a product of high tier play by professional teams who have the luxury to practice playing around a novel, utility-focused ADC.

You are (probably) not one of those people. More importantly, the other people in solo queue with you are also (probably) not those people. And you will set yourself up for failure by opting to play a build that is optimized for a playstyle that is totally impractical for your environment.

So please, stop building Blue Ezreal in solo queue. (Or, as many people in this thread have pointed out, stop picking Ezreal. It's unfortunate, but raw damage tends to win more games than utility.)

TL;DR: Blue Ezreal is for pro players. Stack AD/Crit/AS and melt face.
This post is redundant... its already been established a ton of times that Blue Ez is not for everyone... get over it. Some soloqueuers will never learn meaning more wins for the rest of us,

BestVayneMars

Recruiter

05-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rismonaught View Post
Anyone else feel like Blue Ezreal gives other adc's the ok to be building a frozen mallet?
I don't see what is wrong with Frozen Mallet if you can pull it off? I use this as a 6th defensive item on vayne a times and this plus tumble means I can kite pretty well and for days.

BestVayneMars

Recruiter

05-20-2013

I don't like how people keep trashing Blue Ez and that's part of the problem with this game, or in particular our server is that people won't try anything new. They want cookie cutter build s so they don't have to think outside the box and play characters another way and think about anything really. Gaming on autopilot. BS, games should be adaptable and open to trying to strategies... Live on Blue Ez... come to the light Blue Vayne!

Voidgolem

05-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampbanisher View Post
I don't like how people keep trashing Blue Ez and that's part of the problem with this game, or in particular our server is that people won't try anything new. They want cookie cutter build s so they don't have to think outside the box and play characters another way and think about anything really. Gaming on autopilot. BS, games should be adaptable and open to trying to strategies... Live on Blue Ez... come to the light Blue Vayne!
adaptable strategies that actually work would be preferrable to ones that end with us losing every teamfight after 20 minutes.

A Vitriolic Cat

05-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidgolem View Post
adaptable strategies that actually work would be preferrable to ones that end with us losing every teamfight after 20 minutes.
Okay, I'm just quoting this because it's the last one, but why do people think Blue Ezreal is bad in teamfights? He as more ultimates, more mana to push his buttons, and he spends LESS TIME NOT ATTACKING. Because his primary DPS comes from his Q, he can do it while running away without changing his DPS at all. What this means for his damage is that if he's continuously hitting mystic shots not only is he ulting twice in a teamfight (with an ult that applies bonus true damage, not much sure, but still) but he's also able to DPS much better. I've also played games as blue Ezreal where I have sub-200 health and get to continue to DPS because they've exhausted stuns/etc on other characters.

I honestly think it's funny because he plays like Quinn is described - he's a super mobile ranged/archer character and that rangeeeee.