Why Blue Ezreal is NOT the Real Deal (Math Inside)

1234511 ... 19
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Suzuteo

05-19-2013

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!
DISCLAIMER: I am NOT saying that it is a bad build (after all, pro players use it), simply that 95% of the time, in solo queue, it will be inferior due to lack of pilot skill or team coordination. So if you are Diamond/Challenger or a 5s player, this does not pertain to you.

I am writing this to debunk the perceptions of the countless people that I bump into who believe that a certain build used by pro players in Asia is somehow viable for solo queue in North America.

In particular, four myths are prevalent:

1) Blue Ezreal can match Standard Ezreal's damage.

This is a fantasy, one perpetuated by a recent Reign of Gaming article that fell short because it was lazy with math (in fact, aside from gold cost, he doesn't provide any) and excluded Phantom Dancer from a "standard" build. (Can anyone imagine taking Blade of the Ruined King over Phantom Dancer in a critical strike build?)

The fact is, Standard Ezreal begins ahead of Blue Ezreal, and it stays ahead throughout the game, with the damage margin widening to a 59% physical damage advantage by late game.

Here are my numbers:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hTkJ3S2c#gid=0

Salient points:
Standard
Physical DPS: 1160.49615080075
Magic DPS: 41.812380952381

Blue
Physical DPS: 773.851229721983
Magic DPS: 71.0388547669599
Pure DPS: 13.3333333333333

Purple
Physical DPS: 825.784825023898
Magic DPS: 72.6261563542614

*I added the new "Purple" Ezreal build that substitutes in Bloodthirster and Black Cleaver, which means more AD, more APen, less AS, comparable lifesteal (and still has 39% CDR). Because armor is no longer equal, I also created a simulated opponent with 2500 HP, 75 Armor, and 75 MR. The more Armor, the better Purple Ezreal gets; the more HP, the better Blue Ezreal gets.

In response to the griping of the Blue Ezreal camp, my model has provided Blue Ezreal with additional handicaps:
1. Blue Ezreal will always have 100% mana.
2. Blue Ezreal will fire his Q the instant it comes off cooldown.
3. Blue Ezreal will always hit something with his Q, but we will assume there is a .75 second delay before the CD proc.
4. Blue Ezreal will fire off all of his spells constantly without clipping into his Q.

This is also a "duel" simulation, so Ezreal will be fighting to the death (so BotRK averages at ~62.5 damage).

And for those who complain about how Blue Ezreal stacks the AS bonus from Ezreal's passive faster, note that even if Standard Ezreal has ZERO stacks on his passive, he still outdamages Blue Ezreal. In any case, this is general DPS and I am really not going to actually create a DPSoT chart for you. This is just one point of four.

If you would like to read the Reign of Gaming article, it is here: http://www.reignofgaming.net/blogs/a...-the-real-deal

2) Blue Ezreal is more durable.

This is a big maybe. I say this because it is true that Standard Ezreal sacrifices durability for most of the game, whereas Blue Ezreal gets a nice hunk of armor from Iceborn Gauntlet after his Manamune. Both are equally susceptible to getting killed by magic damage burst, though Blue Ezreal has better chances of dodging with Arcane Shift.

However, it is my belief that by late game, Standard Ezreal will have more survivability than Blue Ezreal. Why? Because he has one free slot to fill with Guardian Angel, Iceborn Gauntlet, or Mercurial Scimitar. (He can even skip Last Whisper in some spots to get his defensive item early.) Furthermore, while Blue Ezreal has 3% more lifesteal than Standard Ezreal, he has less actual lifesteal because he deals much less damage.

3) Blue Ezreal is more mobile.

This really depends on what you mean by mobility. If we're talking about effective movement speed, Blue Ezreal is not much faster than Standard Ezreal. Even after I pretended Blue Ezreal would be firing off spells like a machine gun and constantly shifting, we can see that this results only in a 40 MS advantage.

In essence, Standard Ezreal runs faster than Blue Ezreal, but Blue Ezreal has slightly better escape ability and kiting power due to Iceborn Gauntlet and the 39% CDR on his Arcane Shift. When you are being slowed, flash effects are a lot better than running, but being stuck at base MS when your Arcane Shift is down is terrible, and for the most part, combat maneuvering is done by moving.

Anyhow, whether or not mobility is worth the huge sacrifice in DPS is questionable. It may well be that a Standard Ezreal does not need to run as much because it takes only two-thirds the amount of time for him to kill his target. I suppose it's a catch-22: Have DPS and need mobility because the enemy team will want to kill you or have mobility and not need it because you lack DPS and the enemy ignores you.

4) But... poking!

This is my biggest peeve about Blue Ezreal: YOU ARE ASSUMING POKING IS VALUABLE. Really, how often are solo queue games decided by patient poking? Typically, it's just about dominating your lane and steamrolling the other team with bulk and damage. Nobody in North America expects their Ezreal to make plays to reduce enemy HP; they just want their ADC to do damage--and lots of it!

I mean, go watch an Asian team play Blue Ezreal. It looks NOTHING like what North American players do in solo queue. Nobody starts teamfights specifically to fight to the ace. There is a lot more maneuvering and poking, trying to force a fight when the other team is at a disadvantage. I mean, seriously, many pro teams play games ridiculously safe and try to win at 50 minutes when everyone has 6 items and a GA.

---

In conclusion, Blue Ezreal sacrifices huge amounts of DPS for increased in utility and poking power. But does this mean you should not play Blue Ezreal? In the vast majority of cases, I would say yes. Blue Ezreal seems to be a product of high tier play by professional teams who have the luxury to practice playing around a novel, utility-focused ADC.

You are (probably) not one of those people. More importantly, the other people in solo queue with you are also (probably) not those people. And you will set yourself up for failure by opting to play a build that is optimized for a playstyle that is totally impractical for your environment.

So please, stop building Blue Ezreal in solo queue. (Or, as many people in this thread have pointed out that this may be the "optimal" way to play Ezreal, stop picking him. It's unfortunate, but raw damage tends to win more games than utility.)

TL;DR: Blue/Purple Ezreal is for professional players and team queues.

Colauder

05-19-2013

Blue ezreal isn't for the damage. It's for the high amount of poke combined with the kiting potential. That's why people are building blue ezreal, not for the damage. If you wanted to melt faces as an ad carry, you're better off playing draven/vayne/caitlyn/trist

to be completely fair, I just read what you actually wrote, and you're wrong about everything except the damage numbers. You "guessing" normal ez is more survivable is completely false, and blue ezreal is much more mobile with the CDR+high kite resetting e a lot more often.

Obzidial

05-19-2013

yes

3221slyfoxhomie

05-19-2013

new TL;DR stfu

Dr W

05-19-2013

people are still trying to downplay the effectiveness of blue build?

*grabs popcorn*

IS13940001471ffbdf28d0e

05-19-2013

Seriously Iceborn Gauntlet should never do an AoE damage+slow. Iceborn Gauntlet Ezreal is disgutingly broken and annoying. I hope this items doesn't slow on ranged attacks.

GotKrack

05-19-2013

-1 didnt read. Dude is dumb.

Suzuteo

05-19-2013

Yes... and if you read the post, I mention that.

Encapsulated points:
1) You're very unlikely to be skilled enough to win solo queue games with 59% less damage than you would have had.
2) 95%+ of the people who play LoL in solo queue are probably not onboard with you when you make this choice.

Falling Objects

05-19-2013

Yes but blue ezreal gets flash on a 5 second cooldown, and Qs on a 0.8~ second cooldown.

Kioshuu3371

05-19-2013

And standard ezreal has a phantom dancer o_O

1234511 ... 19