Amumu advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Melatonin

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthirtytwo View Post
I saw a guide on jungle amumu which said you could solo golem at level 1 with various items. I tried them in a practice game vs bots and died repeatedly.
I just tried this out. With Cloth armor and a mana and health pot, Rally & Smite and Despair at level 1 he went down easy for me. Although I'm level 30 with 13% dodge from runes and masteries... so it may be very level dependent.

Although I don't recommend jungling from one, I like to lane till about 5-7 then hit the jungle.

tenthirtytwo

12-10-2009

Nice Melatonin, the one I read said smite or heal & doran's shield, didn't work so great for me! Though that might have been written before tantrum was changed? I think I read it was nerfed at some point.

I just played 2 games with doran's shield first. While I don't think it is a necessity, it has such great stats it is hard to ignore. When I did mana crystal + 2 health potions, I do more damage but feel more fragile. Dorans alone makes me buff, but not much mana to play with. I think Dorans + 1 mana potion is ideal.

I'm really liking this build:

Doran shield + mana pot
catalyst
boots 1
sunfire cape
boots 2 (whichever is more appropriate)
Rod of Ages
Abyssal scepter
Cape #2

I think it is stronger all around.

I don't think that extra points in despair early is worth it. The first point is worth 2.3% health. The next is like 2.9% I think? So percentage wise, if the first one is worth 100% damage, the 2nd point is worth ~25% more. On a person with 1500hp, this is 9 damage per second before reduction difference. Granted this could hit 5 people, but at my level of play there really aren't 5 man battles early on. So in my head at least it seems that tantrum is more valuable at lower champion levels while despair is better at higher levels. Something I'm missing?

FearAndLoathing

12-10-2009

Merc Boots
Sunfire Cape
Sunfire Cape
Sunfire Cape
Situational Items

Until you get your first SC you won't be making nearly enough money farming minions. Other item builds are alright but I almost always go with at least 1 Sunfire Cape after merc boots. Staying/Farming power as early on as possible is important.

Mana is a problem in the early levels. Potions are great for that. Sometimes I'll pick up a belt for SC before I finish the Merc boots if I have enough money. The staying power is worth it.

As long as you continuously stay on the golem rune you'll be fine. Situational items make that less of a big deal though (although the CD reduction is nice).

I've recently been doing bandage toss early on. Allows you to be of some gank support very early and its been working out. 1 point is enough.

For that I've been going:
1. Tantrum
2. BT
3. Despair
4. Tantrum
5. Tantrum
6. Ult
7. Despair
8. Despair
9. Despair
10. Despair

Or something along those lines. I know when I reach level 10 I have Tantrum (3), Despair (5), BT (1), Ult (1).

Autern

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearAndLoathing View Post
Mana is a problem in the early levels. Potions are great for that. Sometimes I'll pick up a belt for SC before I finish the Merc boots if I have enough money. The staying power is worth it.
Mana pots aren't worth the price. They give too little mana for the 40 gold you're dishing out.

WesleyC

12-11-2009

Particularly if the opponents have a lot of magic damage, Chalice is an amazing item. 40 MR is huge, and the mana regen makes you less dependent on the golem buff. Throw in a few clarity runes (which get boosted by the Chalice) and your mana problems should be solved.

Vs a team with a lot of physical DPS an early Heart of Gold isn't a bad option.

In the mid/late game, a huge portion of your damage comes from Despair which isn't effected by AP so I don't really rate catalyst/rod.

Doran's Shield
Boots (merc treads almost always)
Chalice
Sunfire cape

Is my standard Amumu build.

tenthirtytwo

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyC View Post
In the mid/late game, a huge portion of your damage comes from Despair which isn't effected by AP so I don't really rate catalyst/rod.
Hmm are you sure about that? It definitely says "3.5%" with a " (+0%)" next to it, and after stacking enough AP that 0 turns into a 1. This might be a rounding issue, I'm not sure how the game handles it. In other words, it may be that the game handles parts of a percentage point based on AP but doesn't display it. Or, it may be that the game uses a floor() function which means that everything below 1% (.3%, .5%, .8%, etc.) is treated like 0%, and everything above 1% but below 2% (1.3%, 1.6%, 1.9%, etc.) is treated like 1%.

If I get some extra time I'll test to see whether despair isn't actually being affected by AP.

Logo

12-11-2009

Jungling:
Cloth Armor + Potions
Despair at 1, 3, 5
Tantrum at 2
Bandage at 4

Laning:
Doran's Shield + Potions
Despair at 1 for Lizard/Golem/Dragon or Bandage Toss for ganking

If they're heavy physical DPS then I usually go:

Despair/Bandage
Tantrum/Bandage (if no bandage at 1)
Tantrum/Despair (if no Despair at 1)
Tantrum
Ult
Max Tantrum, Despair, and then Bandage

If my team is light on DPS I may max Despair even against a physical team.

Doran's, Catalyst or Heart of Gold + Chalice (depends on what kinda disables they have), Ninja Tabi, Aegis (if no one else on your team is getting), Frozen Heart, Sunfire Cape, Guardian Angel.

If they're heavy magical DPS:
Depsiar/Bandage
Bandage/Tantrum (Tantrum is still nice for if 2 creeps are low hp at once)
Max Ult, Max Despair, Max Tantrum in that order

Doran's, Catalyst, Merc Treads, Chalice, Aegis (if no one else gets), Banshee's, Guardian Angel

Really Amumu is very flexible to build so you need to pay attention to the game surroundings. These are just a few of the variations I use. Sometimes I'll grab early sunfire capes if my team lacks DPS or push off Frozen Heart if their carries aren't doing too well.

Just keep in mind the strong items for Amumu and build accordingly to what you think you need:
Doran's
Merc Treads
Ninja Tabi
Chalice
Catalyst/Banshee's
Heart of Gold
Frozen Heart
Sunfire Cape
Guardian Angel
Aegis of the Legion
WARDS of both kinds (No Oracles though!)

Wappas

12-11-2009

I don't see many people building Amumu the same way I do so i figured I'd post my thoughts on him

Skills:
1 - tantrum
2 - Toss
3 - tantrum
4 - despair
5- tantrum
6 - curse (ult)
7 - tantrum
8 - despair
9 - tantrum (MAX)
10 - despair
11 - curse
12-15 - toss (MAX)
16- Ult (Max)
17-18 - Despair (MAX)

I get level 3 despair simply for the radius. at level 3, the radius is large enough for me to chase down running champions and finish them off with ease, at level 1 the radius is so small you have to be standing almost next to them for it tow work. At level 8 is when I decide, depending on how the game has been going, to either start full-time jungling or continue laning / ganking. I play with friends so there is usually little argument over latting me pick up the golem buff at level one and my lane mate will go with me to pick it up before any gank attempts on our lane.

ITEMS:
1) dorans shield + mana pot
2) merc treads
3) Sunfire Cape
4) Sunfire Cape*
*If Magic heavy enemy team (4+ heavy casters) I get (5) first
5) abyssal scepter - most games end before this point
6) Force of nature / Guardian Angel / Frozen Heart
7) sell Dorans shield, pick up another of the above three

Purchase elixirs throughout;

FearAndLoathing

12-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autern View Post
Mana pots aren't worth the price. They give too little mana for the 40 gold you're dishing out.
You're right, I just looked into that; its only 100 mana over 20 seconds. Even if you're just using tantrum (50mana), thats only two additional uses for the 40 gold (which is needed early on). I thought it gave you twice that much mana.

My rune setup is regen/cdr so that may be why mana is slightly less of a problem for me. What rune setup do you usually use?

Since Amumu got adjusted, his ability to jungle at very early levels is hampered and I have had better luck just laning the early levels then planning builds/rune setups just for the early jungling that don't help as much at later levels.

Thalmodan

12-11-2009

Is jungling viable after the tantrum nerf? It seems like people are saying it is. If so, do you get your allies to help kill golem at level 1 or do you solo it? Also, what runes/masteries are you taking?

Thank you Logo for the Items/Skill Build Jungling advice.