Amumu advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tenthirtytwo

12-10-2009

I've been trying to play Amumu and learning his skills and how to use them. I'm working on getting a better idea of what to build on him and when, and what is a good skill progression.

I find that level 1 bandage toss is typically sufficient for anytime I want to use it. So my build generally goes:

1. tantrum
2. bandage toss
3. despair

Then building ult, tantrum, despair, in that priority order when they are available.

My item build starts with Doran's shield, which I'm iffy on. It has such nice stats it is hard to pass up, but it doesn't build into anything which is a bummer.

Then the question of "when to get the sunfire cape?" I find I need, besides the shield, a chalice and boots 1 to have any kind of presence in the game. After that I consider 3 items worthwhile: Rod of Ages, Abyssal Sceptre, and Sunfire Cape.

I figure if I want Rod of Ages, I have to build it now. If I want to farm better, I need Sunfire Cape. Both of them take a while to build, though.

I've considered skipping the chalice and going straight for catalyst but not sure if that will provide enough mana regen or not.

Anyway, any tips, general or specific, would be greatly appreciated!

Autern

12-10-2009

Well my normal build for Amumu goes..

1. Doran's Shield + 1 pot
2. Boots 1
3. Catalyst
4. Ninja Tabi/Mecury Threads(Depending on if they have a lot of stuns and such)
5. Sunfire Cape
6. Rod of Ages
7. Sunfire Cape
8. Abyssal Scepter

To be honest, I rarely ever get past my second sunfire cape. Also about abilities, I get Despair to level 3 before Ult, and get 1 level of Bandage Toss. Then I just go Ult > Tantrum > Bandage Toss > Despair. Hope this helped a bit.

Renelius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-10-2009

What I do: Buy Mana Crystal & 2 health pots
Tantrum
Bandage Toss
Despair
Tantrum
Bandage Toss
Ult
Despair
Then tantrum to lvl 5 then despair, and get ult at 11, maxing out toss last
Items: Turn Crystal to Catalyst
Mercury Treads (seldom Ninja Tabi if there is only like one caster and no stuns [not going to happen])
Sunfire cape
Turn Catalyst into rod of Ages
2nd Sunfire cape
Abyssal Rod
Then IF if possibly get enough gold, Guardian Angel for lols. Not saying it's a perfect build but it seems to work pretty well.

tenthirtytwo

12-10-2009

Interesting, I'll give it a shot. I feel like it takes too long to put together rod after sunfire cape, but maybe skipping dorans+chalice will fix that.

Autern

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthirtytwo View Post
Interesting, I'll give it a shot. I feel like it takes too long to put together rod after sunfire cape, but maybe skipping dorans+chalice will fix that.
Keep the Doran's, but skip Chalice. It isn't needed at all. You can solo the Golem around level 8~, if not sooner.

tenthirtytwo

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autern View Post
Keep the Doran's, but skip Chalice. It isn't needed at all. You can solo the Golem around level 8~, if not sooner.
Thanks I'll look at doing that. I actually played a game just now where I skipped both and it went ok. I felt a little weaker early game, but mid-late game felt much better. Had to buy 3 potions, which is 105g vs 400ish for dorans.

Next game I'll try buying the dorans then getting the catalyst.

Melatonin

12-10-2009

My item build (keep in mind my rune build is full dodge / mana regen w/ 0/9/21 build):

1. Philosophers Stone (starting with Regrowth Pendant)
2. Boots of Mobility
3. SF
Sell P.S.
4. SF 2
5. Banshees
6. Frozen H / Force of N (situational)
7. game should be over by now

Just keep grabbing golem when he is up and i can keep despair on constantly.

Autern

12-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthirtytwo View Post
Thanks I'll look at doing that. I actually played a game just now where I skipped both and it went ok. I felt a little weaker early game, but mid-late game felt much better. Had to buy 3 potions, which is 105g vs 400ish for dorans.

Next game I'll try buying the dorans then getting the catalyst.
Doran's Shield is an amazing item. The stats are just too good to pass up early game. If you want to try something a bit different, try jungling with Amumu. It works amazingly. Plus it gives your team 2 solos, which could be great for mid game ganking.

tenthirtytwo

12-10-2009

I saw a guide on jungle amumu which said you could solo golem at level 1 with various items. I tried them in a practice game vs bots and died repeatedly. Problem with golem buff now is many games I play lots of people want it. But good tips all around! I definitely like skipping chalice and instead getting catalyst.

Autern

12-10-2009

Yeah. That jungling guide is a bit outdated. I should make one. Hm.