@riot Is Maw of Malmortius too expensive?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The McSmashy

05-20-2013

I think it's a bit too weak as a defensive item to be worth a defensive item slot, and too weak offensively to be an offensive item slot. If you need MR, then Maw doesn't cut it, so you need another MR item too, so why not just buy a better MR item? Heck, you get more MR and AD from Mercurial Scimitar, plus an amazing active.

I'd say cut the combine cost and replace Pickaxe with something else. BF Sword for more AD, maybe? Cutlass? Maybe even a Brutalizer.

FreeGothitelle

05-20-2013

Maw is a decent enough end game item, though I think increasig the shield value would be good for it.
Its just not worth upgrading until it's your last item that can be upgraded

Cloud Potato

05-20-2013

From a defensive standpoint, here is how Maw compares to similar items:

Maw: 3200G, 36 MR + 400 magic damage shield
Mercurial: 3700G, 45 MR + Cleanse
Abyssal Scepter: 2560G, 45 MR
Athenes: 2600G, 40 MR
Twin Shadows: 1900G, 40 MR

And from an offensive standpoint:

Maw: 3200G, 55 AD + 1 AD per 2.5% HP missing
Mercurial: 3700G, 60 AD
Abyssal Scepter: 2560G, 70 AP, 20 MR reduction
Athenes: 2600G, 60 AP, 20% CDR
Twin Shadows: 1900G, 40 AP, 8% MS, the active

Maw competes with Mercurial by having a better offensive build path, more AD for the most part, and being cheaper, at the cost of a worse defensive build path. However, compared to what AP has the costs are much, much higher, and they are worse offensively (but not defensively). Right now, AD is balanced around poor defensive itemization, so I would be cautious about buffing Maw or MS.

Federerhys

05-20-2013

Bump

Tails66

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Plainview View Post
I think it's supposed to be a bit overpriced, it's only there so you can upgrade hexdrinker late game. Riot doesn't like people being able to stack MR.
No one upgrades the Hexdrinker late game though because they can sell it for a better late game MR or other item that isn't Maw.

I think honestly they should just keep the cost the same (This thing is freakin expensive) and just buff the stats.

Dredge Mammus

05-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diovresu View Post
Maw sucks unless you're Tryn or Kayle because it's a horrid item if you can't make use of the low hp bonus. There needs to be a more Seeker's Armguard-esque item for AD casters that actually turns into a viable late-game defensive item. Replacing the BF sword on Merc Scimmy with a AD/MR hybrid like Hexdrinker might work.
Maybe combine Hexdrinker and Mercurial Scimitar? Adjust some numbers, could be pretty strong.