Wukong Analysis and general tip...and a quick question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellowinz

05-18-2013

I main Wukong and he is my favorite champ in lol. I've been seeing a lot of posts regarding him including he is too OP or he needs a massive buff posts. well I agree that he is very weak in lane compared to other champs like renekton, elise, darius etc

He lacks any form of sustain and his passive is useless in laning phase. Also his attack speed increase on his e is kinda bad after early few levels although it makes him unbeatable at level two (he is more of an ad nuker after two or three). his mana consumption is also really really high. so yeah he is a weak in lane if the other player understands wukong and is on a similar skill level. But i think that's to be expected.

His presence in team fights far surpasses pretty much everyother top laners because of his ult. Even if you give one or two kills at top, you'll contribute much more in those fights that matter than your opposition. You can't have a champ who is strong in lane AND in team fights. Well you could look for a kill at level 2 and at 6 if you have some understanding of Wukong and the other champ's weaknesses and strengths. The key aim as a top wukong is to not die unlike other top champs cuz just by surviving and getting cs, u are winning the lane. seems like most people dont know this. well its good to get a kill but if u die, u just get snowballed as wukong. and i normally build tanky then dmg unless im dominating the lane then i go straight dmg to carry. Well even then I don't build BT but go straight last whisper or brutalizer then last whisper. your e+q combo goes in like true dmg. I use flat ad runes for red and quint if i want to be aggressive early or armor pen in red and ad in quint for normal play. Also make sure to get your q off before using using the ult. makes a LOT of difference in dmg output.

So yeah he is weak in lane but very good in team fights. I think he is pretty balanced and the only reason he isnt seen in many tournaments is because he is not good 1v2 and doesn't fit with the current meta. Some sort of sustain for his passive or for his e would be good tho and no one would say no to a buff...yeah...it'd be good...yeah...really good....and maybe a new skin...and.....r...r...riot?..plz? but he is a good champ

Just a question: I've always mastered his e first but I saw some pro streams from Korean and America and they sometimes master q first. I think q master would be better for versing infight enemy champs. (man that range increase on his q was god sent.) What do you guys think??

EDIT: Another question - do you guys buy dorans? i used to buys two dorans in season 2 but now I skip them most of the time unless when I have to back with like 500 gold in my pocket or want to really win the lane. im not sure how effective they are.

EDIT: forgot to add i build BCleaver afterwards. Also now going warmogs first isnt that good after the nerf. i normally build sunfire first to contribute more in teamfights or randuins. if the enemy is ap then i usually go just giant's belt and leave it there or go for aegis. aegis and its upgraded version is the most cost effective mr item out there. its still good even if ur support or jungle has it cuz the aura stacks twice on the people who have the item.

EDIT 2: beginner's tip. if you are losing the lane, dont build damage. I see a lot of top laners including wukong players who tries to build damage when they are losing the lane. but you can't outdamage an opponent who is more fed than you. you'll keep dying and have a consequent mental breakdown. also pull the lane by giving up some ranged minions (so dont hit them) and freeze the lane. You can hold the lane in front of your tower by maintaining 5~6 enemy ranged minions alive. I sometimes dont go for the first 3~4 cs at level one to pull the lane towards my tower. its easier to gank.

RavenSword8

05-18-2013

Hes my best top laner at the moment.

Simply put, Wukong is the best team fighting bruiser in the game imo. You can stomp him in lane all you want, but he has the same effect as Akali: they get their first item, and they kill everything. BC/BT first on monkey is absurd thanks to that ult.

His 1v2 does suck as you mentioned. Also, I don't see the benefit of maxing q first other than a stronger burst of damage. Max e first lets him make full use of the armor shred he has, and is his only effective way of wave clearing.

Fire Lord Iroh

05-18-2013

I max Q because the cool down on E doesn't go down per level. Sure you get more damage and attack speed, but the mana cost also goes up. Q has a better ratio than E, a static mana cost, the cool down goes down by almost half, and it has a really powerful armor debuff. The bonus damage also works on towers.

Take this with a grain of salt as I play Wukong at mid in order to change his weak laning phase into a strong laning phase.

USnip

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2013

yah that is exactly my experience with him. I don't really like that he's designed that way though because getting rolled in lane no matter what the matchup kind of sucks.

Hellowinz

05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Housewife View Post
I max Q because the cool down on E doesn't go down per level. Sure you get more damage and attack speed, but the mana cost also goes up. Q has a better ratio than E, a static mana cost, the cool down goes down by almost half, and it has a really powerful armor debuff. The bonus damage also works on towers.

Take this with a grain of salt as I play Wukong at mid in order to change his weak laning phase into a strong laning phase.
i see thanks! i saw scarra play him but never gave him a go. i might give it a go tomorrow

HotshotGGs Smurf

05-18-2013

I main Wukong as well, and you're exactly spot-on about your analysis. Here's some things I learned from watching solo top Wukong videos and testing things out.

1. Philosopher's Stone - Gives a nice amount of regen since sustain is something Wukong desperately needs. Ends up paying for itself anyway with it's GP5 bonus, you can sell it after 15 minutes and get your full 700 gold back. I'd recommend either this or Vampiric Scepter for sustain.
2. Full Tank Mode - Wukong does surprisingly well built tanky, and extra defense could help your laning phase. I'm still testing this out though.
3. Ult under tower - This is common sense but you can use your ult to save your tower in laning phase if you're in a bad situation, I often save my ult until I know I need it for this reason.
4. Frozen Mallet - Just buy this on Wukong, trust me. Permaslow+constant gap closer+autoattack range increase from Q = awesome.

HotshotGGs Smurf

05-18-2013

Bumping for more Wukong tips!

Captain Jamaica

05-18-2013

Hes pretty strong in lane, and can go toe to toe with everyone not named Jax from my experience.

The low cooldown on maxed Q combined with range means his harass against melee champs is insane if you max it first. Its also a stronger burst since you can use it twice in a full combo.

I prefer cleaver over BT since your ult will then shred the whole team while ccing them, making life easy for your adc.

Wukong is strong but i wouldn't say op as hes very item dependant.

Hellowinz

05-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyRustletons View Post
I main Wukong as well, and you're exactly spot-on about your analysis. Here's some things I learned from watching solo top Wukong videos and testing things out.

1. Philosopher's Stone - Gives a nice amount of regen since sustain is something Wukong desperately needs. Ends up paying for itself anyway with it's GP5 bonus, you can sell it after 15 minutes and get your full 700 gold back. I'd recommend either this or Vampiric Scepter for sustain.
2. Full Tank Mode - Wukong does surprisingly well built tanky, and extra defense could help your laning phase. I'm still testing this out though.
3. Ult under tower - This is common sense but you can use your ult to save your tower in laning phase if you're in a bad situation, I often save my ult until I know I need it for this reason.
4. Frozen Mallet - Just buy this on Wukong, trust me. Permaslow+constant gap closer+autoattack range increase from Q = awesome.
1. I dont normally build philosophers with wukong. I gave it a go but found that it weakens my laning even more. I guess my control isn't that good :P also since i dont normally dont build items that can be upgraded from philo stone or vamp sceptre i dont normally go for them. i normally rely on pots and pulling the lane

2. yeah full tank mode is quite good on wukong but only to a certain extent. towards the late game every champ has to deal certain amount of dmg. well wukong has really high ad ratio and his q cuts their armor by 30%. so he doesnt need much ad. i found that just a black cleaver and maybe last whisper is enough.

4.yeah i used to always go for frozen mallet in season 2 but not that often in season 3. Im not sure why I stopped doing that but i guess I wanted to build more tanky. frozen mallet is amazing if your team is lacking cc or good chasing potentials during or after the teamfights.

HotshotGGs Smurf

05-19-2013

Bumping for more Wukong tips!